The CoRsica Package for Hockey Analysis in R (Tutorial Series)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Neat. The structure of the program reminds me a lot of MatLab. Hopefully this series is a success for you so I can learn more.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This is great - I'm an "R" guy as well (I just picked up "Data Science From Scratch", primarily because it's in Python which I don't know at all).

I'll definitely follow along here.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I'm offering a tutorial series on corsica.hockey about performing hockey analysis in R using a pseudo-package I'm developing called coRsica.

Part 1 – 0.0: An Introduction
Part 2 – 0.1: Hello World
Part 3 – 0.2: Fundamentals

Kudos to you for going through all the R fundamentals first. Most would just post a vignette and claim victory. I'll be reading along for sure.

As someone who does lots of R analyses but has very little web development experience, I'm particularly interested in how you're going from R --> website. Will you be covering any of that (or have you already)?

eperry

Jun 27, 2016
Kudos to you for going through all the R fundamentals first. Most would just post a vignette and claim victory. I'll be reading along for sure.

As someone who does lots of R analyses but has very little web development experience, I'm particularly interested in how you're going from R --> website. Will you be covering any of that (or have you already)?

I won't cover web deployment, but I use a cloud server called Digital Ocean. I schedule scrape and compile operations to build and maintain the database. The web apps are all built with Shiny.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I won't cover web deployment, but I use a cloud server called Digital Ocean. I schedule scrape and compile operations to build and maintain the database. The web apps are all built with Shiny.

Cool, thanks, I've played around with Shiny but didn't realize you could use it for such an elaborate website. Did you code the entire website in R via Shiny, or are the Shiny apps embeded in some other web dev framework? Sorry to hijack your thread!

eperry

Jun 27, 2016
Cool, thanks, I've played around with Shiny but didn't realize you could use it for such an elaborate website. Did you code the entire website in R via Shiny, or are the Shiny apps embeded in some other web dev framework? Sorry to hijack your thread!

Each subdomain (ex: corsica.hockey/teams) is just one big iframe to the deployed app, and a small area at the bottom for ads.

eperry

Jun 27, 2016
I've migrated the tutorial series to Teachable, a better platform for this sort of thing. You can enroll in the Intro to R course for $20 and I'll be offering a separate course on the coRsica pseudo-package later on.

Link: http://corsica.teachable.com/

eperry

Jun 27, 2016
How much math do I need to know to get into this?

Prior programming knowledge?

Neither is required for the Intro to R course. I discuss some linear algebra and basic arithmetic, but that's about it. In the later stages I'll talk about statistical analysis in R, so that may seem abstract to those who aren't familiar with statistics.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
On the topic of the Corsica website, is it not Firefox-friendly? Whenever I try and go to browse through the various categories, the chart never changes. It just lists the players in alphabetical order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad