OT - NO POLITICS The Coronavirus Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
2 months shutdown is fine and all but beyond that life will go back to mostly normal and consequences will just have to be faced. It is simply not feasible to have a shutdown any longer than that. Hopefully this gets it manageable until we get a vaccine next year because any shutdowns longer that what they are saying honestly will start to do more harm than good.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Todd: Perhaps it takes a global catastrophe to reorder our priorities

Now and for the conceivable future, the priority has to be the well-being of the athletes, officials, coaches, trainers, media, fans and popcorn vendors, everyone connected with these events. We’re all in this together, from NBA players earning $30 million a year to the guy paid $12 an hour to sweep out the arena.

Yet days into this shutdown, I still find myself checking nonexistent scores on my phone. It wasn’t always this way, but social media and smartphones have taken a diversion that ought to consume a few hours a week at most and turned it into a 24/7 obsession.

With the entire bloated world of sports on hiatus, this will be a good time to re-evaluate. Do we really need to subscribe to a dozen different sports channels and DAZN? Is it sane to find ourselves tossing and turning and unable to sleep because our team is in the throes of an eight-game losing streak? Or to waste an entire day watching the meaningless blather of trade deadline day?

Perhaps it takes a global catastrophe to reorder our priorities. Hockey fans are used to this: the NHL had a difficult time deciding to shut down in the face of a pandemic, but had no problem at all with closing the doors to put the screws to the players. With the various lockouts, we could turn to baseball, basketball, cycling, tennis. Now it’s all gone and we have a period of merciful silence in which to regain our collective sanity.

No one knows where we’re headed or how this will play out, in life or in sports. Perhaps there will be a Stanley Cup awarded this season, perhaps (as in 1919) there will be no champion. At best, we’re in for a month-long shutdown if not more — perhaps much more. Whatever, there are more pressing, life-and-death concerns.

Use the extra time well. Take care of your family. Be safe. Be responsible. Avoid public gatherings. Take the advice of that wonderful Italian nonna and sneeze into your sleeve. Wash your hands.

And above all, be kind.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
53A8DE66-2ECC-408E-95B8-DECF8550C931.jpeg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A time of crisis calls for a superhero.

Except, he won't be like those superheroes of yesteryear: there will be no cape, no mask -- heck, that superhero won't even be doing anything for anyone but himself.

Behold ...

fqqwohN.gif

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
OK since it looks like were going round the bend I suggest the following legislation

Olly Olly Income Free April

No rent, tax ,fees, including power, cable, gas electric, loans (probably differed by a month not forgiven depending on circumstance)

All the bigs need to suck it up and help everyone.... keep us going, you can get back to sucking us dry later.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Well.... If we get put on lockdown and I can't go to work, that will give me plenty of time to pack up my apartment.... Assuming I'll still be able to move in the middle of next month...

Reactions: Lady Rhian

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I am very fortunate that I can do a lot of client service over the phone, email or fax machine. People don't have to come to the office but if they do I have disinfectant for the counter etc also hand wipes for the client. I'm also fortunate that at least through April I will have income from renewal commissions. I keep reminding myself that I have it a lot easier than many other people who are losing their jobs because their places of employment have to close down.

I'm doing my mom's shopping & other errand running for her. I thought she'd raise hell when my sister & I said we'd take care of it for her, she takes pride in her independence at age 84 but she agreed it is better safe than sorry. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some extra groceries (no, not toilet paper lol) in case I have to shelter in place, I've been buying a few extra items the last 2 weeks but time to finish that up.

I'm still staying away from tv/radio/social media for the most part, if I could learn something instructive that would be one thing but there's too much talking for the sake of talking to fill up air time. I don't need any more stress than I already have. I think a lot of people would benefit from a break as well. I'll check in here from time to time but for the most part I'll be in the OT thread. I'm keeping all of you in my prayers. This too will pass....

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Now and for the conceivable future, the priority has to be the well-being of the athletes, officials, coaches, trainers, media, fans and popcorn vendors, everyone connected with these events. We’re all in this together, from NBA players earning $30 million a year to the guy paid $12 an hour to sweep out the arena.

Yet days into this shutdown, I still find myself checking nonexistent scores on my phone. It wasn’t always this way, but social media and smartphones have taken a diversion that ought to consume a few hours a week at most and turned it into a 24/7 obsession.

With the entire bloated world of sports on hiatus, this will be a good time to re-evaluate. Do we really need to subscribe to a dozen different sports channels and DAZN? Is it sane to find ourselves tossing and turning and unable to sleep because our team is in the throes of an eight-game losing streak? Or to waste an entire day watching the meaningless blather of trade deadline day?

Perhaps it takes a global catastrophe to reorder our priorities. Hockey fans are used to this: the NHL had a difficult time deciding to shut down in the face of a pandemic, but had no problem at all with closing the doors to put the screws to the players. With the various lockouts, we could turn to baseball, basketball, cycling, tennis. Now it’s all gone and we have a period of merciful silence in which to regain our collective sanity.

No one knows where we’re headed or how this will play out, in life or in sports. Perhaps there will be a Stanley Cup awarded this season, perhaps (as in 1919) there will be no champion. At best, we’re in for a month-long shutdown if not more — perhaps much more. Whatever, there are more pressing, life-and-death concerns.

Use the extra time well. Take care of your family. Be safe. Be responsible. Avoid public gatherings. Take the advice of that wonderful Italian nonna and sneeze into your sleeve. Wash your hands.

And above all, be kind.
My mom and I were just talking about that a few minutes ago.

PoweredByRICE

Hates your team
May 7, 2011
Bangor, Maine
This sucks with no sports. The virus is slowly making it to Maine. I can work at home for the most part since I'm in IT but I also work at a hospital which scares me.

Luckily I have a big backyard on the lake so I can do yard work if I'm stuck at home. I have already stopped going out to eat as of Friday I just can't risk it. Next thing will likely be no more gym :( stay safe everyone.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I am very fortunate that I can do a lot of client service over the phone, email or fax machine. People don't have to come to the office but if they do I have disinfectant for the counter etc also hand wipes for the client. I'm also fortunate that at least through April I will have income from renewal commissions. I keep reminding myself that I have it a lot easier than many other people who are losing their jobs because their places of employment have to close down.

I'm doing my mom's shopping & other errand running for her. I thought she'd raise hell when my sister & I said we'd take care of it for her, she takes pride in her independence at age 84 but she agreed it is better safe than sorry. Tomorrow I'm going to buy some extra groceries (no, not toilet paper lol) in case I have to shelter in place, I've been buying a few extra items the last 2 weeks but time to finish that up.

I'm still staying away from tv/radio/social media for the most part, if I could learn something instructive that would be one thing but there's too much talking for the sake of talking to fill up air time. I don't need any more stress than I already have. I think a lot of people would benefit from a break as well. I'll check in here from time to time but for the most part I'll be in the OT thread. I'm keeping all of you in my prayers. This too will pass....
Yep. I said this before, but I feel like I did about 48 hours after 9/11. It was all just too much to process. You have to step away.

We need to be positive and just take things ones day at a time. I talked to my 82-year-old mom tonight and we were upbeat and laughed several times. :heart:

Virtual cookies may be requested at any time. :)

I will probably post more pictures of Daisy in the pet thread until you all get sick of them. :laugh:

Until then, I leave you with this

FB_IMG_1584320850777.jpg

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

And above all, be kind.

Fenway your one of my favorite posters, but this clown you need to ignore. Sometimes I think this guy is in my head and says and writes anything he can to annoy me knowing my opinion is the opposite . I don't know what fuels your affection for Montreal media which you seem to gravitate towards but with all due respect which I sincerely have for you, you are misguided. Truth be told media in this town is just as bad as what you have in Boston, let's look elsewhere . Don't ask me where.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I know. The Amish don't have tvs or radios or the internet. Hopefully a neighboring community lets them know.

I have friends below poverty line that don’t have TV or internet. I work w them at a food pantry and told one of them it was closed. They responded with “why?”. I said they don’t want us to catch the corona virus it’s deadly and she had no idea what I was talking about. So sad

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yep. I said this before, but I feel like I did about 48 hours after 9/11. It was all just too much to process. You have to step away.

We need to be positive and just take things ones day at a time. I talked to my 82-year-old mom tonight and we were upbeat and laughed several times. :heart:

I will probably post more pictures of Daisy in the pet thread until you all get sick of them. :laugh:

View attachment 336383

Truly rescue dogs

as in they rescue you from chronic mud butt in these trying times

Reactions: eightspokedb

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

View attachment 336383
I LOVE this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->