The Core's Greatest Moments

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
From February 15th to June of 2009 is as much fun as I have ever had as a sports fan of any sport. I'll never forget the cups in '91 and '92 or where I was watching the playoffs/finals of those years, but then the gut-wrenching end to '93 and '96 and other flameouts, disappointments, and dying alive. Many of us older fans weren't sure if we'd ever live to see another cup. Then, the lottery, the Geno, Gary Roberts, Ruutu, Laraque, Staal and Gonchar gave us so much entertainment and hope. I remember hitting refresh no less than 7,486 times on trade deadline day of 2008 and yelling, "We got Hossa! We got Hossa!" outside of school (I'm a teacher) at 3:05 to everybody around and nobody knew what a Hossa was (other than 1 or 2 kids).

But then the fall of '08 made us think it was a flash in the pan. These guys stink. They can't get out of their own way. How could they be that bad? Then Bylsma came in and with the structure of Therrien's system, while taking the reigns off the thoroughbreds, we go 18-3-4 in the final 25 games. Trade deadline of 2009 brought us a 'minor acquisition' of Bill Guerin for a conditional draft pick, and Chris Kunitz for Whitney, completely overhauling the first line.

Those playoffs were outstanding. First round, the Fratboy Flyers: Shhhhh! (Kunitz murders Timonen),
second round, beating the Caps is always entertaining, third round- Malkin's utter dominance over the Canes, and of course an epic seven game redemption against the Red Wings. (Handshake gate)
So much fun!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol. You mean Letang just deked the entire Sharks team right?
Sure if we're considering skating along the boards for a goal attempt and then getting open for a Crosby pass while Horny wreaks havoc, for a goal where multiple people did what the team needed to.

But yes, deked the entire team while skating along the boards and not through players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sure if we're considering skating along the boards for a goal attempt and then getting open for a Crosby pass while Horny wreaks havoc, for a goal where multiple people did what the team needed to.

But yes, deked the entire team while skating along the boards and not through players.

I suggest you rewatch the goal.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

Is it just me or was the 2008 team better and easier to root for then the 2009 team?

Just you. I think the 2009 team was way easier to root for. You have the perfect drama like the first two Rocky movies but even better. 2008 you have the new upstart team vs the veteran top dog and they beat us in 6. I was at that game.

Next season the drama starts in the summer with Hossa turning down Pens 7 year $7 million deal. Then Hossa signs a 1 year $7 million deal with that same team we lost to and says he picked them because he wants to win a Cup. So it was by far easier to root for that 2009 team and it was great to take down the giant and also have the Pens raise the Cup while the guy who didn't believe in them watched from the opposing team.

Plus Malkin was another level that season with 36 points!!! Crosby had more points also with 31. That was probably the biggest moment of the cores career followed closely by the back to back Cups.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I suggest you rewatch the goal.
I did. Did you? He does some sweet dekes that doesn't go through anyone but goes laterally along the boards and then tried a shot and goes around the net. He didn't deke through a bunch like that Malkin goal vs Tampa. Where he actually had to skate past them.

Stop being a :eek::eek::eek::eek: and arguing about the dumbest shit. Go ruin someone's life like the rest of HR blokes.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I can think of about 100 great moments instantly. I don't know which is #1...but maybe that's a good thing. It just means I have so many great memories to think back on and enjoy.

Watching those 2005-2009 highlights are actually quite tough for me. It's many not unlike looking at your best friend's pupper pictures as you look at the aged dog in the bed next to you. While there are so many great memories, you know they are past you and there's a fear that you may never be able to experience ones like them ever again.

I pity people who didn't cherish every year with this team up until now. It's why I can't stand and complete and utter disdain for the despicable cancers on this board that purposefully seek to post negative shitposts. We are living through one of the great franchise heights in modern hockey history and the show is almost over. Instead of fresh face phenoms, we have accomplished legends. Both have their pros and their cons.

Watching some of those 07 - 08 - 09 Sid and Geno highlights...bittersweet.

Perhaps my greatest core moment isn't a specific moment in the past...perhaps it's each present moment that allows me to look back on what an amazing ride it has been with so many great plays, goals, wins, and championships. That feeling in the moment...that's the greatest core moment to me.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010

I guess I don't really agree with the ho-hum description of what Letang did there. It was just a huge moment. The Sharks had just scored, we had the recent history of six years of playoff failure and underachievement to consider, and if they win that game all bets are off. Again. And then Letang goes out and dominates the play. Watching that shift I remember feeling that this time was going to be different. Him and Crosby were so determined on that play. It's not really about the skating and the dekes for me, which both of them have done throughout their careers. It was when they did it. It wasn't a normal play. You could see he and Crosby had decided to take over the game and that they weren't going to let the team fail again.

Reactions: tom_servo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I guess I don't really agree with the ho-hum description of what Letang did there. It was just a huge moment. The Sharks had just scored, we had the recent history of six years of playoff failure and underachievement to consider, and if they win that game all bets are off. Again. And then Letang goes out and dominates the play. Watching that shift I remember feeling that this time was going to be different. Him and Crosby were so determined on that play. It's not really about the skating and the dekes for me, which both of them have done throughout their careers. It was when they did it. It wasn't a normal play. You could see he and Crosby had decided to take over the game and that they weren't going to let the team fail again.
See you see it as a diss to Letang.

While I was complimenting the entire team doing all the right things and that's where I think people are :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: for not understanding that and wanting it to make it all about Letang.

Letang started it and was smart to keep skating and Crosby recognizing that and Horny wreaking havoc that drew the attention from the defense and goalie.

That was a fantastic team effort with a great finish.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
See you see it as a diss to Letang.

While I was complimenting the entire team doing all the right things and that's where I think people are :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: for not understanding that and wanting it to make it all about Letang.

Letang started it and was smart to keep skating and Crosby recognizing that and Horny wreaking havoc that drew the attention from the defense and goalie.

That was a fantastic team effort with a great finish.

This might be the first time I've ever been accused of making a play all about what Letang did well lol. It was a team effort, but I don't think there's any doubt Letang started that play and ended it. He was on a mission.

Reactions: helsinkipenguin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This might be the first time I've ever been accused of making a play all about what Letang did well lol. It was a team effort, but I don't think there's any doubt Letang started that play and ended it. He was on a mission.
And I didn't say he didn't start and end it. But for him to end it, what I explained, needed to happen. Otherwise there's no goal.

We're both right. Just focusing on specifics vs entirety of the play.

Gurgles is just being an obtuse :eek::eek::eek::eek: about it and I legit did not like that and was not joking with my annoyance of it.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Future fans will read about the Crosby v. Ovechkin rivalry, but before that there was a much nastier rivalry that was fun to watch. I've never liked Ovechkin and it was good to see us get the better of them most of the time the last 15 years.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad