The Core's Greatest Moments

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Really makes you appreciate how historically great DRW was that they dominated them so badly.

Cause the Pens curbstomped the East in '08.

Coaching made a huge difference. It was the first year corsi was tracked and the Pens were last in the league in like all shot metrics despite being so talented.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
tumblr_n1qijog4bw1tsbyjqo1_500.gif

7423a2ef2864775033a18e8f70c84d42.gif

OrneryBruisedGroundhog-small.gif

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Yeah I mean wasn't part of Therrien's thing to concede perimeter shots and counterattack aggressively? I'm not surprised that a Therrien team would lose the SOG battle by design.

Yes, but they had peak Gonchar, Hossa and Malone with Sid and Geno. They shouldn’t have been the worst possession team in the league, and that hurt them badly when they got matched up with the best possession team of the modern era. The whole series looked like 6 on 5.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’ll throw out three games for the core that stick out to me for them individually. Don’t have time to find them right now.

Malkin vs LA in 2008. This was the middle of his run without Sid. I couldn’t watch the game but Malkin had 3 points and the Pens won 4-2. Before checking the box score I assumed he would have at least two points. I was surprised he didn’t have more that’s how amazing he was playing.

Letang vs NYR in 2009. Took him another year to realize his potential but this was their run when Bylsma took over and he scored an end to end goal, which signified to me who he was going to be sooner than later.

Crosby hattrick vs NYR in November 2009. Crosby took a small step back after his ankle injury but from this game on until Dupuis’ injury in late 2013 Crosby was a 1.5 or higher ppg guy. It was the game where I pin point the beginning of Crosby’s peak.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yes, but they had peak Gonchar, Hossa and Malone with Sid and Geno. They shouldn’t have been the worst possession team in the league, and that hurt them badly when they got matched up with the best possession team of the modern era. The whole series looked like 6 on 5.

When we play Bahston now (or like, Vegas last year) it does resemble that DET series in 2008. You're right about "how are they everywhere on the ice all the time?????" being the visceral reaction.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
A couple goals that I'll remember..February 16, 2017 against Winnipeg. A crazy game, very physical. Stars were getting hacked and whacked all game. The Jets had already taken out a couple guys and it got very physical late. The kind of game a lot of stars in the history of this league have disappeared in. Ours seem to relish those games more than others. There were about 30 seconds left in OT and of course it's Letang to Malkin to Crosby to end it:

One of those statement games and statement goals from all three. I think at their height, when they decided to win a game it was over.

And the second one in Game 4 of the 2009 Finals. There was a lot of history here. They had obviously lost to a veteran team in 2008 and our core was still young and inexperienced. Detroit was up 2-1 in the series and you just felt history might repeat itself if the Penguins lost Game 4 and went down 3-1. They were down in the game and seemed a little dead in the water and then Malkin tore out of the penalty box on a breakaway and Staal scores right after. Then Crosby and Malkin on a breakaway and once again they were just determined to score. There was no way Osgood was stopping that. Another signature goal.

That was an awesome game! And look at Fat Phil playing D there!

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Letang's appearance reminds me of the opening part of Back To School, where Rodney is showing the compromising pics of adultery to his wife and then gets to a pic and asks 'what's the the midget'.

Letang isn't a midget, of course, but his appearance, like the question, was just so perfectly out of left field that it completed the scene.

Post of the week :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:! Great flick.

Reactions: KIRK

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
'08 ECF, Malkin gets buried by Richards behind the Flyers net, cherry picks as the play goes the other way, and then takes a huge slapshot on a breakaway. f***in baller

Oh man. I had a BAD night that night! Started drinking Heineken tall boys at my buddy's old apartment before the game, then we started doing Connecticut Car Bombs (rum and Red Bull shots) at the bar afterwards. I woke up on my wife's (then girlfriend) bathroom floor the next AM, to find out that I left the door wide open and her cat got out :laugh:. And we still have that old bastard! So obviously he was found safe and sound. That hangover was one for the ages.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Malkin vs Roloson - Aka “When Pissing off Geno went very wrong for the Lightning of Tampa Bay.”

THE GENOBEAST.

Edit: Watch that second video on mute, I hate people and their crappy music choices for videos.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad