The Colaiacovo Report: 2014 Edition

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The Sharks have Mike Brown and nobody else that can really fight on their roster. They won't really be able to do anything to Lapierre.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Why do we need a fighter?

Because it is still part of the game... Not being a smart aleck, but why did Hitchcock go get Morrow and Lapierre in the offseason? Why do we have players on our team that could skate an entire game with a carton of eggs taped to them and not crack one? That's not playoff hockey either. My hope is that we don't go into Colorado and they just run right over JBo, Shatty, Steen, Oshie, Berglund, Roy, Schwartz, Tank, and Pietro along with the rest who like themselves will stand around and watch. That's what happened to Tank last year. I guess we will see. That would be my game plan, if I'm the Avs. Let's see what they are made of. Pietro and JBo don't have any Pronger in them.

Last edited:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Because it is still part of the game... Not being a smart aleck, but why did Hitchcock go get Morrow and Lapierre in the offseason? Why do we have players on our team skate an entire game with a carton of eggs taped to them and not crack one? That's not playoff hockey either. My hope is that we don't go into Colorado and they just run right over JBo, Shatty, Steen, Oshie, Berglund, Roy, Schwartz, Tank, and Pietro along with the rest who like themselves will stand around and watch. That's what happened to Tank last year. I guess we will see. That would be my game plan. Pietro and JBo don't have any Pronger in them.

That Olver hit on Tarasenko was not a sample of one team running over another. Olver, in fact, was much maligned by Avalanche fans for being soft. That was just one freak hit. They're also not tough now. Especially after trading away Downie, Bordeleau and McLeod are basically the only guys on the team who could handle themselves against several of the Blues' tougher players. The Avalanche don't play a physically dominating style and unless they just send McLeod out to headhunt, we won't see anything like you're describing.

I don't think anybody is saying get rid of Reaves. We all like him and what he brings. But this idea that the Blues should call up players who bring nothing else to table to fight and protect themselves against the big, bad Colorado Avalanche is really bizarre. You don't need to play a fighter even most of the time, let alone every night. Fighting can be beneficial, but is not mandatory.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
That Olver hit on Tarasenko was not a sample of one team running over another. Olver, in fact, was much maligned by Avalanche fans for being soft. That was just one freak hit. They're also not tough now. Especially after trading away Downie, Bordeleau and McLeod are basically the only guys on the team who could handle themselves against several of the Blues' tougher players. The Avalanche don't play a physically dominating style and unless they just send McLeod out to headhunt, we won't see anything like you're describing.

I don't think anybody is saying get rid of Reaves. We all like him and what he brings. But this idea that the Blues should call up players who bring nothing else to table to fight and protect themselves against the big, bad Colorado Avalanche is really bizarre. You don't need to play a fighter even most of the time, let alone every night. Fighting can be beneficial, but is not mandatory.

It isn't mandatory. I'm not saying that it is. You don't need to play a fighter every game, but the Avs are carrying an old school goon. Bordeleau is a huge goon. Is that what you want Backes, Polak, Jackman, Morrow or Stewart to have to deal with? No, I don't. I don't think it hurts the Blues, if another team wants to dress a stiff, then having an answer for him on the bench. We did it for years. Reaves has a dual purpose much like Basil MacRae did back in the day. With Reaves out, I don't think it is a bad idea to have someone to answer the bell. We can agree to disagree. This may be a team where that is necessary, especially after the last game.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It isn't mandatory. I'm not saying that it is. You don't need to play a fighter every game, but the Avs are carrying an old school goon. Bordeleau is a huge goon. Is that what you want Backes, Polak, Jackman, Morrow or Stewart to have to deal with? No, I don't. I don't think it hurts the Blues, if another team wants to dress a stiff, then having an answer for him on the bench. We did it for years. Reaves has a dual purpose much like Basil MacRae did back in the day. With Reaves out, I don't think it is a bad idea to have someone to answer the bell. We can agree to disagree. This may be a team where that is necessary, especially after the last game.
I hear what you are saying but Patrick Bordeleau plays 5 minutes a game. If Colorado wants to play him more than that to let him stir stuff up, they are only going to hurt themselves. Hopefully he takes a couple dumb penalties and we capitalize and then Roy will look stupid.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He was apparently at practice today (I assume just watching) and Korac said his cast is off. I'd give it about a month, maybe at the beginning of January he'll be back? Just a guess.

I agree I really miss him in the lineup. We are lacking his intensity right now, IMO. He's an effective 4th-liner. Of course it would help if Lapierre would stop playing so damn passively. I get that he got suspended but come on dude, stop being afraid to throw a body check now. He's kind of useless if he's not being the pest that we know he can be. Hockey is a fast, physical game. You can't avoid contact just because of one bad hit.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Colaiacovo's going to use this season to start his ironman streak. While the team has players going down left and right, he's going to remain completely unharmed and play every position in the book. He already played LW last night, and Carlo's goal is to become the Blues' #1 center and lead them to glory.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Backes on the road trip, sobotka not. It's almost like getting headshot twice and high sticked about 15 times hurts....

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Polak placed on IR today with a lower body injury, no bueno as this means more ice time for Carlo

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Sobotka, Polák and Reaves all on IR. Backes still game-to-game.

Games just keep coming at this time of year as well.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Games Lost:

Currently injured: Maxim Lapierre (Lower Body - IR)

Paajarvi: 8
Morrow: 3
Leopold: 25
Steen: 8
Backes: 5
Reaves: 17
Sobotka: 3
Schwartz: 2
Lapierre: 2
Polak: 10
Colaiacovo: 0

Total: 87