Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Savoie will be a tough sell for a coach who prefers veterans. He'll need a Benson like pre-season to earn it.

OTOH, Kulich has 2 seasons of professional hockey under his belt.
If Adams fills out the bottom 6 then both will have a tough time but I expect some good competition for middle 6 roles. Those young guys should end up being a coach/GM discussion. I imagine Kulich will get another look at some point next year and he may have to force their hand to stay which is good.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I would guess if Adams waits for RBA it's because he knows he can get him. We can pretend no tampering ever goes on but adams and RBA won a cup together. It would be shocking to me if they haven't at least spoken in hypotheticals at some point.

That's not me saying I think it is RBA, just that if adams waits till Carolina is out before hiring a coach, it's likely he knows something we do not.
I want to believe this.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What are the arguments against Boudreau ?
That he’s similar to what we just had in some ways. Players coach whose message has a short shelf life and lost his last job because he couldn’t get a system in place. I love him because he gets way more out of guys than Don did…but I understand why he won’t be getting this job

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If it was done last summer then why wasn't it completed last summer?
The last I heard the hold up has been about compensation for his assistants.

He’s a weird case though because he took a way below market value deal last time and now they’re trying to cheap on his assistants? Seems like there’s a deep rooted issue he probably needs some answers on. Not that this, of all places, is going to offer that solution

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The last I heard the hold up has been about compensation for his assistants.

He’s a weird case though because he took a way below market value deal last time and now they’re trying to cheap on his assistants? Seems like there’s a deep rooted issue he probably needs some answers on. Not that this, of all places, is going to offer that solution
He’s obviously frustrated whenever contract time rolls around, that they force him to play games like this in order to get his staff paid. If he didn’t love working there so much, it feels like he’d have been gone yesterday.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m kind of disappointed Sabres Twitter hasn’t run wild with the “I saw Lindy Ruff at Wegmans/the car wash/ restaurant” stuff because this is the one time it would be genuinely funny since he still lives here in the off-season. And he’s been in the off-season for a while now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I randomly ran into Lindy at chipotle of all places (place was full and he asked if he could sit at my table).

I didn't bother him too much, but from our short conversation it was ABUNDANTLY clear that he thinks the world of Granato.

This was back in the spring before the disaster that is this season lol
I saw him and his wife with friends at a movie theater right before the trade deadline. They were dressed up pretty nice so I think they had come from a nice dinner. It was the night Byram made his Sabres debut and I’ve wondered what they went to see ever since. There was nothing out that stood out as obvious lol

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Like I mentioned I saw Granato at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth the night before the last Sabres Red Wings game and I was going to try to talk to him but I think he left after the first.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
1713401739181.png

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That picture is another reason the hire feels likely to me. This hire is Adams’ last one if he gets it wrong. I’d turn to someone I knew and worked with before if my nuts were on the line. Especially when he actually checks the boxes I laid out.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
That picture is another reason the hire feels likely to me. This hire is Adams’ last one if he gets it wrong. I’d turn to someone I knew and worked with before if my nuts were on the line. Especially when he actually checks the boxes I laid out.
During his presser, he stated that they have to win now, they don't have the time to wait.

He was talking about his own job. This is the end of the line for GMKA if this doesn't work out.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I think Quenville would be best coach for Sabres but not sure if he can

Ruff would be ok if he has a this is what needs to be done different as jersey is a similar team to Sabres. Difference is Buffalo has more talent on defence. So I do think Ruff would be more sucessful

I think Gallant will be the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad