Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I may be in the Majority here, but I'd rather not have Lindy back as coach. I know it could happen, but if I had my 'druthers, I'd pick someone else.

I don't want this team to become like the Sabres of old. That era is over and gone. This is a perfect opportunity to establish a new identity, a new team. Get a coach with no ties to Buffalo, and let them create a "new" Sabres team if you will.

Get the entire team to play a 200' game, unleash the offense, improve the PP, etc. Get us back into the playoffs, and a contender for years to come, and don't look back.

No matter what coach they hire, they'll all have complaints about them. It's a coaching carousel. Pick one with a proven record of winning, especially in the playoffs. One of Boudreau, Gallant, Berube, Sullivan, or RBA please.

Move forward, look ahead - use lessons learned, and build a winning roster.

Now, get out there and win baby, win!
Fixed it for you.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Adams also indicated this wasn't something he just thought up on the flight back from Florida.
Someone else brought it up, but there are some weird timeline issues. If you look at Granato in the post-game interview after the final game, he doesn't look like anyone that has a clue what is coming. Then the media availability thing where they announced his Friday presser.

Adam's may have been throwing the idea around, but I am wondering if he wasn't pushed a little by Pegula+. Lets not forget Adams first act as GM was to clean house - he has no issue being the hatchet man.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I could see Wahlberg making the team before the likes of Savoie/Kulich/Rosen if Ruff or Berube are coach.
I don't imagine any coach would give someone a slot because of size. However, He does have a role opportunity on 4th line, whereas Savoie would not.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Someone else brought it up, but there are some weird timeline issues. If you look at Granato in the post-game interview after the final game, he doesn't look like anyone that has a clue what is coming. Then the media availability thing where they announced his Friday presser.

Adam's may have been throwing the idea around, but I am wondering if he wasn't pushed a little by Pegula+. Lets not forget Adams first act as GM was to clean house - he has no issue being the hatchet man.

It would've been even weirder if Adams was thinking about it and hadn't acted yet if they had only announced his Friday availability.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It would've been even weirder if Adams was thinking about it and hadn't acted yet if they had only announced his Friday availability.

I think Adams like he said already knew but until he says anything to Donnie or the team they are going to keep planning because until he was fired Donnie was still the coach.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Adams like he said already knew but until he says anything to Donnie or the team they are going to keep planning because until he was fired Donnie was still the coach.

Yep. It would've been unprofessional to not have told Don and just leave out his availability before he was told.

Reactions: Dingo44

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Another reason I could see Ruff being the choice - Adams mentioned wanting home games to be loud and proud. Ruff may bring in some people who want to see another successful run with him at the helm

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
From the digging I've done, it seems like the most common complaint about Berube is his lack of Xs and Os....that Ott seemed to be the Xs and Os guy behind the bench. That hasn't really been a major complaint about Gallant.

That's why I lean toward Gallant over Berube.
I loved the way thise Vegas teams played. Some of that is on the players, but the coach deserves credit, too. I'd be fine with Gallant, and I too am leaning toward him over the others unless Rod becomes available.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Gallant and Ruff met in the playoffs against each other. That led to Gallant’s firing.

“While many of the Rangers' top players struggled in that series and deserve blame for the outcome, the coaching change reinforces the sentiment that Gallant was outmaneuvered by Jersey bench boss Lindy Ruff.

The Devils made critical adjustments, both in terms of their lineup choices and fast-paced style of play, while the Blueshirts failed to come up with effective counter moves.”

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Gallant and Ruff met in the playoffs against each other. That led to Gallant’s firing.

“While many of the Rangers' top players struggled in that series and deserve blame for the outcome, the coaching change reinforces the sentiment that Gallant was outmaneuvered by Jersey bench boss Lindy Ruff.

The Devils made critical adjustments, both in terms of their lineup choices and fast-paced style of play, while the Blueshirts failed to come up with effective counter moves.”
Gallant is definitely not suitable here, Ruff is even better at developing youth, and Gallant, on the contrary, relies on veterans, of whom we have almost none.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Though this shouldn’t have anything to do with who Adams picks, I can’t imagine how bad the atmosphere would be at the arena if it’s not Ruff and they start off the season slow.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I don't imagine any coach would give someone a slot because of size. However, He does have a role opportunity on 4th line, whereas Savoie would not.
I hope that's not an expectation next season. I was stopping in to note that most seasoned HCs prefer veterans so I wonder if a Savoie or Kulich even have a chance.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Though this shouldn’t have anything to do with who Adams picks, I can’t imagine how bad the atmosphere would be at the arena if it’s not Ruff and they start off the season slow.
If it's one of the big names... Berube, RBA... I think the fans have patience. If it's Appert, there could be rioting in the streets.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I hope that's not an expectation next season. I was stopping in to note that most seasoned HCs prefer veterans so I wonder if a Savoie or Kulich even have a chance.
Savoie will be a tough sell for a coach who prefers veterans. He'll need a Benson like pre-season to earn it.

OTOH, Kulich has 2 seasons of professional hockey under his belt.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Obviously not a popular opinion given all the posts so far, but I do not think Berube can take this group to the next level. For him to be successful, I think Adams would have to significantly rebuild this roster, which is unrealistic imo.

I feel like posters want Berube because he is the polar opposite of Granato, and are looking for that tough to play for task-master, but I believe this team needs a coach who is smarter in the Xs and Os department than Craig Berube.

This team needs a coach that teaches them how to play together, not just harder.
Exactly they play hard enough the problem was not knowing where the other guys were going most of the time

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
There’s no way it’s appert after yesterday
Agreed. However if GMKA waits around for RBA to make a decision this summer, there may not be a better option left.

From his presser, I don't think the qualities he listed for the next coach was a wish list. I think he was quoting Lindy's resume. My hunch is that the conversation started weeks ago and the agreement is already in place.

Reactions: Jacob582

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think Berube meets all the requirements that Adams voiced yesterday.

In the press conference, Adams said it is "critically important and top of the list" that the next coach be (paraphrasing) approachable and not someone they are scared of. He also stressed that the next coach has to be able to "communicate, more than ever, one on one with players, articulate what expectations are when you step on that ice, but also build a relationship".

Good chance Berube is probably not on the short list here.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If it is Lindy, I wonder who else he brings to his staff.
It is so bizarre to me that of all the staff, they kept Ellis and Wilford. The two guys who's areas of coaching were the worst the past two season. Wilford last season and Ellis this season.

The entire staff had jobs because they were really good people, not because they were good at their jobs. Seems like some of that may still be present with Adam's decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad