Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It is so bizarre to me that of all the staff, they kept Ellis and Wilford. The two guys who's areas of coaching were the worst the past two season. Wilford last season and Ellis this season.

The entire staff had jobs because they were really good people, not because they were good at their jobs. Seems like some of that may still be present with Adam's decisions.

Ellis will not be an assistant coach from what has been reported. He’s either gonna be their new video guy or he’s gonna go back to development or skills. But he’s not gonna be behind the bench.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It is so bizarre to me that of all the staff, they kept Ellis and Wilford. The two guys who's areas of coaching were the worst the past two season. Wilford last season and Ellis this season.

The entire staff had jobs because they were really good people, not because they were good at their jobs. Seems like some of that may still be present with Adam's decisions.
I wouldn't read into it -- Adams was on a cup winning team and knows you don't get there by being nice. I think he just likes working with them and wants to keep them in the organization, simple as that. The guys who were fired along with Donny were guys who Donny brought into the org.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Ellis will not be an assistant coach from what has been reported. He’s either gonna be their new video guy or he’s gonna go back to development or skills. But he’s not gonna be behind the bench.
I got that as a take away as well, but it doesn't change the fact that Ellis' coaching duties were quite possibly the area where the team struggled the most.

I will admit that I do not have all the info, but it does feel like Ellis was retained more based on his relationship with Adams than for his actual job performance.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Lance Lysowski writes five to watch for Buffalo.

Lindy
Berube
Gallant
Boudreau
Brind'Amour

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Agreed. However if GMKA waits around for RBA to make a decision this summer, there may not be a better option left.

From his presser, I don't think the qualities he listed for the next coach was a wish list. I think he was quoting Lindy's resume. My hunch is that the conversation started weeks ago and the agreement is already in place.
I would guess if Adams waits for RBA it's because he knows he can get him. We can pretend no tampering ever goes on but adams and RBA won a cup together. It would be shocking to me if they haven't at least spoken in hypotheticals at some point.

That's not me saying I think it is RBA, just that if adams waits till Carolina is out before hiring a coach, it's likely he knows something we do not.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I would guess if Adams waits for RBA it's because he knows he can get him. We can pretend no tampering ever goes on but adams and RBA won a cup together. It would be shocking to me if they haven't at least spoken in hypotheticals at some point.

That's not me saying I think it is RBA, just that if adams waits till Carolina is out before hiring a coach, it's likely he knows something we do not.
I agree, and if he waits and RBA doesn't happen, and KA ends up with Woodcroft or someone similar, he would be hanging himself. It would be so bad that I'd like to think that waiting longer means that talk has happened and it's just a matter of when Carolina is done.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I’d love to think it could be RBA. He would be so perfect for this team. But I just don’t see it. He’s been vocal about how much he loves Carolina and how it’s his home. It’s where his wife is from. His kids love it there. He is involved with his kid’s youth hockey team there (which has Justin Williams and Brent Burns kids on it too).

He just seems way too settled into life there to willingly uproot his family and leave.
Unless they just offer him an insultingly low amount of money, then maybe. But I don’t see it. I’d LOVE to be wrong though.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I’d love to think it could be RBA. He would be so perfect for this team. But I just don’t see it. He’s been vocal about how much he loves Carolina and how it’s his home. It’s where his wife is from. His kids love it there. He is involved with his kid’s youth hockey team there (which has Justin Williams and Brent Burns kids on it too).

He just seems way too settled into life there to willingly uproot his family and leave.
Unless they just offer him an insultingly low amount of money, then maybe. But I don’t see it. I’d LOVE to be wrong though.
If it's RBA..."if"...it will be because Pegula threw a vault of cash at him, and that actually wouldn't surprise me because I think he's disgusted with this season.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If the Sabres haven’t filled this spot within the next 10 days my bet is on Brind’ Amour. Tampering is certainly illegal but it has been stated Adams and Brind’ Amour have a good relationship. And friends do talk…..

Reactions: Dingo44

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If the Sabres haven’t filled this spot within the next 10 days my bet is on Brind’ Amour. Tampering is certainly illegal but it has been stated Adams and Brind’ Amour have a good relationship. And friends do talk…..
Is there any reason to believe he'd leave Carolina to coach Buffalo? Or is the only reason people link him to Buffalo is because him and Adams are friends.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Is there any reason to believe he'd leave Carolina to coach Buffalo? Or is the only reason people link him to Buffalo is because him and Adams are friends.

Other than he is a good coach and doesn’t have a contract when the season ends? Again, I’m
Not saying he’s coming here but it wouldn’t shock me considering his relationship with Adams, the talent level we do have in the organization, and maybe Pegula would be willing go dig deep into his pockets to restore some credibility behind the bench.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Lindy seems like he could be the option they go with for many reasons. I even wonder if Lindy getting fired in March is what got Kevyn Adams thinking of moving on from Granato. He was on the bench with Lindy. In practice with him. He knows exactly who Lindy is as a coach. I just wonder if that’s who Adams was talking about in his presser.

He’s a respected veteran coach among NHL players and maybe even more so in than anywhere else (like Tuch talking about him today).

He’s also well respected among Buffalo media and most of them look back fondly on his time here. That’s going to buy the team some leeway with local media. It may also help repair some of the damage that seems to exist between the team and local media (+ fans). Maybe he helps attract some quality front office/coaching candidates too. Dudley comes to mind. Maybe Patrick as others have mentioned.

He demands a lot from players and he won’t let them get away with some of the crap they have. His bag skates are still famous in Buffalo… lol.

He was clearly the guy in charge when he was here. Ryan Miller talked about that in the past. There was never any doubt who was running the team under Lindy. I think he’s the type of strong leader this team needs.

He runs a tight ship.

He has a solid system. The way he had NJ playing last year I would be a great fit for this team and is similar to how Kevyn Adams said he wants Buffalo to play.

We know he’s capable of in-game and between game adjustments.
We know he’s a smart coach. As mentioned above, we saw him out-coach Gallant just last year.

And no available coach would take more pride in the Buffalo job than Lindy.

That’s infectious to players IMO, and I think that’s needed. Whatever this weird rift between the players and fans needs to end quickly. I said at the time it was very telling of Granato’s lack of leadership that it was allowed to fester as long as it did. It started over chants to fire him. He should’ve squashed that **** right away with the players. Does anyone think Lindy wouldn’t have?

I am still not sure Lindy is my first choice. Brind’amor would be #1 on my list. I’m also intrigued by the possibility of Keefe being fired, and by Sullivan a bit but I’m more skeptical of him as I know less about him. I do think I like the idea of Lindy more than Berube though, at least from the little I’ve read about him. Not sure if I’d prefer Lindy to Gallant. I like Gallant but I think I’m leaning more toward Lindy right now. I’d like to read more about Gallant’s coaching style.

Boudreau would be a fun hire. I am also not against interviewing someone like Claude Julien, though I don’t think he fits as well (similar to Berube).

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Friedmann was just on the radio saying he’s heard that his deal has been done with Carolina the a while - possibly since last summer. So I don’t see why anyone would even be talking about him as a possibility.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Lets also keep in mind other teams that could be looking for a coach, include Detroit and Ottawa. I could see Yzerman getting Berube, what do others think about that fit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad