The Claude Julien Thread - The “Tabarnacle” edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I get he's a fan favourite but so far he's looking at a first round exit followed by two non-playoff seasons. Hard to imagine Claude (along with Bergevin) is still here if we miss yet again, and so far this season isn't looking promising based on our offseason. I want to give Julien this season to get the train back on its tracks but at the same time I want to see Ducharme take over the second this team starts to slip in the standings heavily (I'm talking bottom 5 finish, which ultimately might not be a bad thing for drafting purposes).

Sorry mods, I couldn't find a coaching thread. Feel free to merge.
Only way Habs miss the playoffs next year is a mass of injuries. This is a pretty good young team. Which should keep getting better.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Only way Habs miss the playoffs next year is a mass of injuries. This is a pretty good young team. Which should keep getting better.

Other teams around us are getting better too though...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Was he really that bad last season? The team way overachieved, everyone was talking bottom 5, even bottom 2 before the season started.

But ya if the team misses the playoffs again everyone's heads are on the chopping block. CJ might survive to give the new GM a bit of rope. Or MB could make his final pitch to stay in the game and sacrifice CJ.

The young kids are going to have to take huge steps this season and Price will have to be Hart level for Julien to survive.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Boucher didn't last long because of his personality not coaching. Ones like him never last long before players start to tune them out. Julien is a fossil who has shown that even with success playing a different style, he can't stop reverting to the old style of play and misusing young players. There is a reason Boston let him go, and found success after. If it is clearly Ducharme the next in line, I want him to get experience and the team getting his style down, before the young players start to hit the line-up. I also think that he can work on a style that suits both Montreal and Laval with Bouchard better than Julien can. It appears at least in the second half they were preaching two completely different systems. Based on the line-up in Montreal, and the youth in Laval this has to happen as soon as possible.

Do you think being laugh at for his boring anti-hockey system in a live game (against Philly) went well for him?
So it was his coaching as much as it was his personality.

I think that all coaches has roughly a 5 years max with an organisation before their message get old and a breath of fresh air is needed. Good coaches last longer, like Julien or Quenneville or Trotz….and the bad one less (Boucher, Therrien, Yeo). Quenneville was fired, he's still a hell of a coach.

Ducharme the next in line? Why him?
He probably can't find the locker in half the arena of the league yet, he's green as hell since he never coached pro and Ducharme is known here in Quebec…...but around the NHL and for most players, he's pretty much a real nobody and that's why he wouldn't last 3 years behind the bench (and that would be true for anyone else in his position).

That's pretty much why they jumped him in the NHL right away. To be known in the NHL, to understand it….but that's takes longer than a year. And if you'd asked me, i think Bouchard is next in line.

I don't like everything Julien does, but saying he got one way to coach and doing things is plain wrong cause those coaches don't last long in the NHL, you have to adapt and it's not like "oh, it's new NHL now" cause there's "a new NHL" every 3 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I thought he did a great job guiding the young group last year for most of the season... As it got tighter, his lack of trust in young players started to come out, but that's to be expected... At this point his style is pretty evident.

But he is clearly a good hockey coach & teacher, which is very valuable for the development of our young guys.

Ducharme will be covetted for a HC opening sooner than later, I just hope he gets the shot with us rather than moving on BC we aren't ready to shift from CJ.

By next summer, short of a deep playoff run, it will be time to transition.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If we miss the playoffs next season, bergevin might be gone, but im sure CJ will have at least another year.
The team overachieved big time last season and a big part of that was the new system Julien used.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not a fan but with him signing on for 5 years and one of the highest paid coaches in the NHL, I don't think he'll be fired if they miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A lot of being coach in Montreal (or Toronto) is dealing with the media, the near daily grilling for 8 months or so. I like Julien's honesty in front of the mike.

If they miss the playoffs again, he'll be on the hot seat.

Jul 6, 2016
CJ missed the Playoffs like 4 times in his last five seasons with Bruins and Habs.

Reactions: BLONG7

Jul 6, 2016
More has gotten weaker than better. We have addressed several needs. Backup goalie, stronger 4th line, more depth at left D

They have to find a player as good or better than Shaw to play RW on one of the first two lines.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes. Romanov is coming in the season after next. Struble the season after in Chiarot’s 3rd season, the season where we will be the most pissed off that he is blocking the left. And at 3.5 mil Claude will feel like he has to have him the top 4. Kulak is way better then Chiarot. So I guess our beloved Mete is the one who will be shipped out, the Mete lovers will have a nice meltdown when that happens.

Timmins, Bouchard, and Ducharme will be running the team by then ;)

- Bergevin contract ends in 2 more seasons
- I believe Julien ends in 3 more seasons... Fire him with one season left and and make Ducharme our Coach

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Timmins, Bouchard, and Ducharme will be running the team by then ;)

- Bergevin contract ends in 2 more seasons
- I believe Julien ends in 3 more seasons... Fire him with one season left and and make Ducharme our Coach

And then hire Jukka Jalonen as an assistant. Or does he have to win another gold medal or something before he gets consideration from an NHL team?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I wouldn't be surprised if both Bergevin and Julien are gone if the Habs don't make the playoffs. I imagine we'd hire Andre Savard and Jacques Martin to replace them.

They should be gone if Habs don't get off to a good start. Just a few points shy of the PO's last season with a putrid PP until the last 10 games or so and searched all season long for a 4th line. Have to wait and see if the PP is acceptable and at least should have an improved 4th line with stability.More moves a coming as a log jam all over the place.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
They should be gone if Habs don't get off to a good start. Just a few points shy of the PO's last season with a putrid PP until the last 10 games or so and searched all season long for a 4th line. Have to wait and see if the PP is acceptable and at least should have an improved 4th line with stability.More moves a coming as a log jam all over the place.
I don't really disagree, but I feel like both of them should go, and it's kind of rare (I think?) to replace a GM mid-season, so..

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't really disagree, but I feel like both of them should go, and it's kind of rare (I think?) to replace a GM mid-season, so..

I don't know how often a GM is tossed during the season,but after making moves and regressing should be grounds for dismissal. But of course Molson has the last say,and we all know how that will go.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
CJ missed the Playoffs like 4 times in his last five seasons with Bruins and Habs.
And the Bruins have flourished since he left them, now under Cassidy. Bruins fans are very happy with their coach these days...the only thing CJ has going for him right now, is that MB is way worse at his job, so the focus is on the GM and the owner....

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
And the Bruins have flourished since he left them, now under Cassidy. Bruins fans are very happy with their coach these days...the only thing CJ has going for him right now, is that MB is way worse at his job, so the focus is on the GM and the owner....
Julien will be the sacrificial lamb if this team stumbles out of the gate, mark my words. I also wonder how the locker room reacts to the trading of Shawzie?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
A lot of being coach in Montreal (or Toronto) is dealing with the media, the near daily grilling for 8 months or so. I like Julien's honesty in front of the mike.

If they miss the playoffs again, he'll be on the hot seat.

He would likely be, and I wouldn't have anything against it... as long as it's not Bergevin who fires him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad