The Chicago Pro Hockey League (Now featuring #19)

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
For the few who aren't familiar about this due to living under a rock for the last couple weeks, a number of pro hockey players (from the NHL, AHL, and ECHL) are making a summer league that'll start on July 11th and end with the championship game on August 23rd.

Tickets will be sold for $5 a piece. Games will take place at the fancy new MB Ice Arena that was built for the Hawks practices. Games are every Wednesday and doors open at 5:30pm CDT. Games will supposedly be streamed on their website.

Here's a list of some of the participants, courtesy of the Sun Times:
D Henri Jokiharju, Blackhawks
D Jordan Oesterle, Blackhawks
F Alex DeBrincat, Blackhawks
F Brandon Saad, Blackhawks
F Patrick Kane, Blackhawks
F Vinnie Hinostroza, Blackhawks
F Nick Schmaltz, Blackhawks
F Alex Broadhurst, Blue Jackets
F Anders Bjork, Bruins
F Tommy Wingels, Bruins
F Christian Dvorak, Coyotes
F Christian Fischer, Coyotes
F Nick Lappin, Devils
D John Moore, Devils
F Connor Carrick, Maple Leafs
F Michael Mersch, Kings
F Ryan Hartman, Predators
D Jake McCabe, Sabres
F Ryan Dzingel, Senators
D Lou Belpedio, Wild

A list of teams can be found here.

Didn't see a thread specifically about this, so figured I'd make one. It'll be fun to see some of these guys play. I know many have been interested in picking up a guy like John Moore, and this'll obviously help him lean further towards signing with the Hawks in free agency. Cale Morris, stud NCAA goalie from Notre Dame, is also an attendee and he's someone who should be on the Hawks radar (never drafted, so free to sign with whoever).

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Spencer Stastney, Graham Lillibridge, Sean Dhooghe, Joey Keane, Jack Drury, Jacob Pivonka, Graham Slaggert, Max Ellis are draft eligibles among a few others I surely missed.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Sounds awesome! Good to hear Jokiharju is staying in Chicago this summer and training with the big boys as well.

Also Brandon Saad, Brandon Bollig, and Brandon Pirri are all on a team :laugh:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Sounds awesome! Good to hear Jokiharju is staying in Chicago this summer and training with the big boys as well.

Also Brandon Saad, Brandon Bollig, and Brandon Pirri are all on a team :laugh:
I'm most looking forward to seeing HJ. Sure, the games aren't going to be all that competitive, but the site is supposed to have free streams of the games, which'll be easier than me trying to track down not so legal streams of WHL games.

And yeah, someone clearly made sure to put all the Brandon's back on the same team, just like the good ol' days!

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Interesting. Perusing the rules, I see that it will be full contact hockey playing NHL rules which is a little perplexing, and surprising that the Blackhawks and other orgs would not object.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Interesting. Perusing the rules, I see that it will be full contact hockey playing NHL rules which is a little perplexing, and surprising that the Blackhawks and other orgs would not object.

I had this thought as well. I love the thought of this league and think it will be a lot of fun but it certainly opens the door to potential injuries.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm pretty sure a standard NHL contract would not allow a player to play full contact hockey in another league during the summer. Participating players will likely need to sign some kind of waiver but what happens if a player is seriously injured? I suppose the issue has been worked out and NHL clubs will be obligated to honour that players NHL contract. Again, surprising to me.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'm pretty sure a standard NHL contract would not allow a player to play full contact hockey in another league during the summer. Participating players will likely need to sign some kind of waiver but what happens if a player is seriously injured? I suppose the issue has been worked out and NHL clubs will be obligated to honour that players NHL contract. Again, surprising to me.

Yeah I am guessing teams have already signed off on it or it wouldn't have gotten off the ground. Hopefully everyone stays healthy and it's just fun. I'm sure the guys will love it. Great idea.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Fun. The entire reason hockey is played, to begin with. I know, kind of weird for pros to want to do this. ;)

I thought they were already having fun in past offseasons, like playing at Johnny's or in their respective hometowns?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I thought they were already having fun in past offseasons, like playing at Johnny's or in their respective hometowns?

Well, you said it, basically answering your own question a couple posts above. Most already play in summer leagues to begin with, just for fun, and to stay in game shape. So what does it really matter if they're doing it here in Chicago at their own practice rink?

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Well, you said it, basically answering your own question a couple posts above. Most already play in summer leagues to begin with, just for fun, and to stay in game shape. So what does it really matter if they're doing it here in Chicago at their own practice rink?

This is 100% volunteer, to boot, so it's not like anyone's forcing these guys to participate. It got organized by someone and the response was massive and here you have it. Everyone participating is doing so at their own will so clearly they love the idea of the league and playing in it against so many of their peers and friends and against their own teammates for that matter. It should be a lot of fun.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'd much rather they work on improving their game not playing more meaningless games. (speaking only of the Hawks participating)

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Lot of these guys skate and play pickup in the off season anyway. This is really just making it a lot more organized. Not gonna be out there hitting each other.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'd much rather they work on improving their game not playing more meaningless games. (speaking only of the Hawks participating)

Didn't I read that players will be playing one game a week? There will plenty of time for players participating to work on their game, between games; assuming, of course, that said player is disciplined enough to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad