The Chicago Pro Hockey League (Now featuring #19)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Huh.

JT needs to be in top physical condition going into next season/ he is playing more like a guy who is 35, not 30 years-old.

It's good to see JT sticking to off-season training and not exploring the wonders of the world.

I've had to type the response to comments like these way too much. They're not robots. They live and breathe hockey like 9-10 months of the year, if not more, and have been since they were 4 or 5 years old. They're entitled to a vacation, just like you or I.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I've had to type the response to comments like these way too much. They're not robots. They live and breathe hockey like 9-10 months of the year, if not more, and have been since they were 4 or 5 years old. They're entitled to a vacation, just like you or I.

Yeah by all means. 6 weeks vacation after the worst season of your career isn't enough. Must be an anomaly - take another month off. There's certainly no need to play once a week in the summer months. :sarcasm:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
No, I'm not.

Toews has taken summers off in the past .... and when Hawks went deep into the playoffs it was understandable. Lately, he should be working summers to get his game back on track, not exploring things he will have plenty of time to do in retirement. Unless of course he plans to mail in the rest of his career, which is how it looks at times: #Already retired.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Toews has a reputation of giving it his all. Him going on a prolonged vacation won't ruin him. Age, usage, and linemates; yes. But as much as we all joke about the Machu Picchu stuff, it doesn't play in to him having down years. It's merely coincidence.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
To my knowledge he’s never taken an entire summer off from training. Has this been mentioned and documented somewhere and I’ve missed it?

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Snilsson

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago
Ah guys, I can't express the level of joy in words that I found this thread. I recently moved to Chicago from Sweden and I'm so excited for the upcoming season, I don't even care that the roster looks average at best, just being able to watch live NHL hockey regularly is literally a dream come true.
This is a great start!

Reactions: Krivo25

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Ah guys, I can't express the level of joy in words that I found this thread. I recently moved to Chicago from Sweden and I'm so excited for the upcoming season, I don't even care that the roster looks average at best, just being able to watch live NHL hockey regularly is literally a dream come true.
This is a great start!

Welcome!

Reactions: Snilsson

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This is a great start!

Welcome. You might be the most enthused for this season on this forum.

Reactions: RayP and Snilsson

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Its Its for the players to step away from the game for a month or two. Thinking about how bad your season was all off season is not good for your brain. Take time away from the rink, stay in shape, and turn it on a couple months before the season starts.

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
No, I'm not.

Toews has taken summers off in the past .... and when Hawks went deep into the playoffs it was understandable. Lately, he should be working summers to get his game back on track, not exploring things he will have plenty of time to do in retirement.

Crazy how some of you have such inside knowledge that you know what went on all of their off seasons. Do you really think a professional athlete took off an entire summer without training...?

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Crazy how some of you have such inside knowledge that you know what went on all of their off seasons. Do you really think a professional athlete took off an entire summer without training...?
You can't do nothing all off-season. If you don't train at all for an entire three or four months you will show up to training camp a heaping pile of garbage.
I was referring to Jonny taking most of the summer away from the ice in those SC years. Not about time in the gym. Of course no pro athlete will couch potato the summer away.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I was referring to Jonny taking most of the summer away from the ice in those SC years. Not about time in the gym. Of course no pro athlete will couch potato the summer away.

That wasn't directed at you. I had quoted someone else's post when they had (mistakenly) said "I don't know why he wouldn't take off all summer".

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You can't do nothing all off-season. If you don't train at all for an entire three or four months you will show up to training camp a heaping pile of garbage.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm asking because I think I have seen it myself, Has anyone else noticed that Toews' shot may have lost a lot of its velocity and deception? I've been trying to figure out his last couple seasons with the shooting percentage and I keep going back to his shot. It just seems like he can't fool goalies as much anymore. I don't know how much of that is scouting, but I doubt a player would get scouted out like that after a successful 8 seasons in the NHL. I just wonder if similar to Hossa, he has lost his ability to shoot hard. I haven't heard of him having any shoulder injuries recently, have you?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm asking because I think I have seen it myself, Has anyone else noticed that Toews' shot may have lost a lot of its velocity and deception? I've been trying to figure out his last couple seasons with the shooting percentage and I keep going back to his shot. It just seems like he can't fool goalies as much anymore. I don't know how much of that is scouting, but I doubt a player would get scouted out like that after a successful 8 seasons in the NHL. I just wonder if similar to Hossa, he has lost his ability to shoot hard. I haven't heard of him having any shoulder injuries recently, have you?
Did you post this comment in this thread because you saw him today at the CPHL and noticed it? Just curious.

I do think his shot has gotten a bit worse over the years. I don't think it has anything to do with an arm or a shoulder injury. It's been heavily reported that he's had back issues and that could give a player issues on the types of shots they make and their velocity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad