The Chicago Pro Hockey League (Now featuring #19)

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Maybe I just really miss hockey but I'm thoroughly enjoying this haha.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Here's the streaming page:

Watch Live | Chicago Pro Hockey League

A bit hard to watch based on the one camera view. Looking forward to getting a look at Jokiharju in the second set of games tonight.

Based on the rosters posted, it looks like Kane is no longer participating.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
I see Bollig is on the roster, that surprised me. Does anyone know if Wingles is still under contract with the B's?

Rob Ramage's son as is Mike Krushelnyski's on the roster, dang the Father Son thing in the NHL and lower tier league's this era is amazing.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
call it whatever you like, but what this really is will be a gathering of guys wanting to play for the Hawks.

John Moore, Wingels, and maybe find a way to snag Dvorak out of the Yotes...this is the most perfect recruitment program I have ever seen!

What about Fischer? is he still with Yotes as well?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I see Bollig is on the roster, that surprised me. Does anyone know if Wingles is still under contract with the B's?

Rob Ramage's son as is Mike Krushelnyski's on the roster, dang the Father Son thing in the NHL and lower tier league's this era is amazing.
Wingles is a UFA right now.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I've only watched the last ten minutes of game 2's 1st period so far (hoping a highlight video will be released later). A few things of note from those 10 minutes:
  • Jokiharju and Schmaltz seem to be not playing tonight.
  • Kendall Coyne looks better than most out there. Fast, great stick handler. Honestly think she could play in the NHL in a middle 6 role.
  • Oesterle scored off a beauty pass by Hino.
  • Speaking of Vinny, kid's the best player out there. Understandable considering there's only a few NHLers out there, but shit isn't even close.
  • Roy Radke has impressed me a bit. Moves better than I would've expected given his size.

Reactions: djeck42

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I never heard the word "shinny" as referring to pick-up/rat hockey until I got to college and had Canadian friends. Shinny/Shinny Sticks was always mini-stick mayhem in the hotel hallways my entire life until that point.
Yup, I've always called it shinny, or pick up. Never called mini-sticks shinny, I just called it mini sticks.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I've only watched the last ten minutes of game 2's 1st period so far (hoping a highlight video will be released later). A few things of note from those 10 minutes:
  • Kendall Coyne looks better than most out there. Fast, great stick handler. Honestly think she could play in the NHL in a middle 6 role.
  • Speaking of Vinny, kid's the best player out there. Understandable considering there's only a few NHLers out there, but **** isn't even close.
  • Roy Radke has impressed me a bit. Moves better than I would've expected given his size.
No way Coyne can play in the NHL. She's 5-2 125lbs. I know size sometimes doesn't matter, but that is tiny, and she will be getting hit by men left and right in the NHL.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
No way Coyne can play in the NHL. She's 5-2 125lbs. I know size sometimes doesn't matter, but that is tiny, and she will be getting hit by men left and right in the NHL.

Coyne is damn good but the NHL would be too much for her.
I understand the size issue, and she would struggle considering the level of talent being so much higher than she's accustomed to, but I could see her surviving in this league as a 3rd line wing with sheltered minutes. Doesn't matter, it won't happen for her. But 10-15 years down the line, when the NHL continues to move away from size and physicality due to issues with concussions, I could see there being a real discussion about women as skilled as Coyne joining the league.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I understand the size issue, and she would struggle considering the level of talent being so much higher than she's accustomed to, but I could see her surviving in this league as a 3rd line wing with sheltered minutes. Doesn't matter, it won't happen for her. But 10-15 years down the line, when the NHL continues to move away from size and physicality due to issues with concussions, I could see there being a real discussion about women as skilled as Coyne joining the league.

Skill would be the issue for Coyne as a well. She will not beat many if not any NHL goalies with her shot.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Lol i never expected or thought a girl would be playing with the big boys, that is just crazy.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Skill would be the issue for Coyne as a well. She will not beat many if not any NHL goalies with her shot.
Her shot's not the worst. Not the best either.

But her playmaking is certainly NHL caliber. She just seemed smarter than most of the players she played with and against today (though there was only a handful or so NHLers out there).

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
  • Speaking of Vinny, kid's the best player out there. Understandable considering there's only a few NHLers out there, but **** isn't even close.

I think he was one of the more impressive prospects that hawksfan50 mentioned that stuck out at camp before last season but honestly just never know who will stick, tough to project.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Her shot's not the worst. Not the best either.

But her playmaking is certainly NHL caliber. She just seemed smarter than most of the players she played with and against today (though there was only a handful or so NHLers out there).

Her shot is not very good at all.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about anything other than talent to be clear but she is no where close to being an NHL or AHL caliber player.

She is damn good player but we are talking about the NHL.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Can someone explain to me why Hawks are allowing players to participate in this?

Why risk player injuries?
Plenty of cities have been doing it for years. Kane's been involved in many summer tourneys in Buffalo.

The Hawks, and every other team in this league, understands these players want to play. These games are played 4 on 4, with little award for winning. A player might have more risk of injury in the weight room than by playing in these games.

Reactions: BrianE

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
After watching most of the first game it was confirmed to me that this is no different from scrimmaging/shinny hockey that has taken place in Summers for years. There was no contact whatsoever and though the stream was choppy, I don't even recall a single slap shot being taken. It's just a little more organized is all.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
After watching most of the first game it was confirmed to me that this is no different from scrimmaging/shinny hockey that has taken place in Summers for years. There was no contact whatsoever and though the stream was choppy, I don't even recall a single slap shot being taken. It's just a little more organized is all.

They mentioned some roster issues this week during the second game so I am hoping it picks up.

Da Beauty League up here was higher quality.

BWC - You want them laying here as you have a little more control.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->