CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Big power play by BC really. In one move you;

- Majorly upgrade the biggest position of need on your team, catapulting yourself into Grey cup contention talks

- Utterly torpedo a division rival's hopes of competing in any capacity, likely putting them with Montreal in the league basement

- Indirectly screw Saskatchewan out of any potential hope they had of upgrading on QB, forcing them to ride out the Collaros/Bridge ****show

They could also potentially deal a big blow to the Bombers tomorrow morning since rumor has it Chungh is looking to go home. (Man having a good o-line was fun)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Sunderland is doing a good job with the Esks today.

And just got Unamba.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Per Farhan Lalji

Hearing that Bo Levi Mitchell is going to put his NFL options behind him and make a decision today on where he will play in the @cfl. #Stampeders #Argos & #Riders all very much in the mix. @CFLonTSN @TSN_Sports #CFLFA

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Ottawa lost a lot of talent today and added no one. Everyone in Ottawa is dumbfounded right now.

Sunderland is doing a good job with the Esks today.

And just got Unamba.

Great pickups for the Eskimos, I’d put a buyers beware tag on SVR, though. His play declined, IMO, and he took a number of dumb and costly penalties in Ottawa last year.

Ellingson is your gem pickup. Regression at the QB position but at least you have a quality starter still.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So far I have liked the Ticats in the sense that they have resigned a lot of the main pieces and added some decent players to compliment the frame in place. It's obviously early but it's looking like they will be favourites to win the east especially with some of the personal losses for Ottawa.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
So far I have liked the Ticats in the sense that they have resigned a lot of the main pieces and added some decent players to compliment the frame in place. It's obviously early but it's looking like they will be favourites to win the east especially with some of the personal losses for Ottawa.
They lost Larry Dean and still haven't signed Tolliver or Filer.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Larry Dean is definitely a loss but it's not like he is game breaking talent.

TT is injury prone at this point and is not a #1, 2. or 3 option on this team at this point in time. It's unfortunate but he just has not been the same since 2016.

Filer is 100% replaceable at this point.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Crazy 24 hours for the Eskimos. Harris is as good an option as they could have hoped for at QB. I can't believe how many other guys we signed. This has the makings of strong roster, though I fear Jason Maas will continue to be a missive impediment to winning football games.

What the heck is going on in Ottawa? That team has just been gutted. I'm really surprised they didn't do what was necessary to keep Harris and Ellingson. Hamilton hasn't really done much, but I'd say is now the favorite out east by default.

From a neutral perspective, you can't exactly love the already-weak East losing a bunch of players to the West. The two worst teams last year, Argos and Als, have done nothing and the Redblacks have taken a massive hit. The competitive balance issues that have existed for years just continue to worsen.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How in the hell are BC and EDM cap compliant? I feel like both are depending on a cap increase in the new CBA and if that doesn't come your going to see some big money releases by those teams.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Crazy 24 hours for the Eskimos. Harris is as good an option as they could have hoped for at QB. I can't believe how many other guys we signed. This has the makings of strong roster, though I fear Jason Maas will continue to be a missive impediment to winning football games.

What the heck is going on in Ottawa? That team has just been gutted. I'm really surprised they didn't do what was necessary to keep Harris and Ellingson. Hamilton hasn't really done much, but I'd say is now the favorite out east by default.

From a neutral perspective, you can't exactly love the already-weak East losing a bunch of players to the West. The two worst teams last year, Argos and Als, have done nothing and the Redblacks have taken a massive hit. The competitive balance issues that have existed for years just continue to worsen.

Could be a East team that makes the playoffs with 5 wins.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How in the hell are BC and EDM cap compliant? I feel like both are depending on a cap increase in the new CBA and if that doesn't come your going to see some big money releases by those teams.

Edmonton lost a lot of high salaried players from last year's roster:

Grymes (150K?)
Reilly (500K?)
Walker (250K?)
Williams (100K?)
Sherritt (200K?)
Ceresna (100K?)
Chick (150K?)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Overpaid and underperforming Alex Bazzie is probably on the firing line for the Eskimos as well

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Only if someone comes in at camp and outplays him by a fair margin. The Esks are still thin on the DL.

If the cap forces your hand though, there may not be much choice. DL is one of the easier positions to recruit in the offseason, so they should be able to find somebody decent to bring to camp. I'm not really seeing anywhere else where salary could be easily shed.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If the cap forces your hand though, there may not be much choice. DL is one of the easier positions to recruit in the offseason, so they should be able to find somebody decent to bring to camp. I'm not really seeing anywhere else where salary could be easily shed.

They could probably cut Behar.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

To be honest Unamba was more of a loss than Dean. I also would not have dished out the $210k Dean reportedly signed for in Edmonton. I'm interested to see how he fits into their scheme next year. They need help aplenty on the defensive side of the ball.

Be interesting to see how the Cats reshuffle their LB's this year. I think they may look to Tunde Adeleke to play there some along with Jackson Bennett.

Tolliver is expendable. The Cats have a strong receiving corps that includes Banks, Saunders, Mike Jones, Bralon Addison and Tasker. They have Rashad Lawrence in the fold who they like. They also re-signed Chambers this morning.

Filer is a nice bit of veteran depth but again they have Mathieu Girard who could step in if need be.

They could very likely use a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft on a Canadian lineman.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They could probably cut Behar.

Sure, but I doubt he's making much money. Bazzie could potentially be replaced by a rookie and they'd save upwards of $100,000.

To be honest Unamba was more of a loss than Dean. I also would not have dished out the $210k Dean reportedly signed for in Edmonton. I'm interested to see how he fits into their scheme next year. They need help aplenty on the defensive side of the ball.

Be interesting to see how the Cats reshuffle their LB's this year. I think they may look to Tunde Adeleke to play there some along with Jackson Bennett.

Tolliver is expendable. The Cats have a strong receiving corps that includes Banks, Saunders, Mike Jones, Bralon Addison and Tasker. They have Rashad Lawrence in the fold who they like. They also re-signed Chambers this morning.

Filer is a nice bit of veteran depth but again they have Mathieu Girard who could step in if need be.

They could very likely use a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft on a Canadian lineman.

New D-coordinator in Edmonton, so yeah the schemes they plan on running will likely be a mystery until pre-season. The Eskimos lacked speed at this position last year. Sherritt and Konar were gamers and of course Sherritt had a great career, but fresh blood was needed.

At this rate, Hamilton could probably go 9-9 and win the East handily. Keeping June Jones around to run the offense and letting Steinhauer, who is infinitely more familiar with the Canadian game, take on head coaching duties was a smart move. It's still early, but the Ti-Cats offense by itself should be enough to beat up on Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa next year. Hopefully those other three teams can bring some players in for the sake of overall competitiveness. I trust Ottawa's management team to bring some live bodies into training camp; the other two, not so much.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sure, but I doubt he's making much money. Bazzie could potentially be replaced by a rookie and they'd save upwards of $100,000.

New D-coordinator in Edmonton, so yeah the schemes they plan on running will likely be a mystery until pre-season. The Eskimos lacked speed at this position last year. Sherritt and Konar were gamers and of course Sherritt had a great career, but fresh blood was needed.

At this rate, Hamilton could probably go 9-9 and win the East handily. Keeping June Jones around to run the offense and letting Steinhauer, who is infinitely more familiar with the Canadian game, take on head coaching duties was a smart move. It's still early, but the Ti-Cats offense by itself should be enough to beat up on Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa next year. Hopefully those other three teams can bring some players in for the sake of overall competitiveness. I trust Ottawa's management team to bring some live bodies into training camp; the other two, not so much.

Wasn’t Behar a tough sign out of his draft? I’m pretty sure he’s signed to a hefty contract given his national status and that contract dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad