CFL: The CFL Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hard to project right now. Reilly is a free agent, Bo could go to the NFL, Nicholls is a free agent, BC is clearly dissatisfied with Jennings (I'm not certain what his contract situation is), and from what I'm hearing, Saskatchewan doesn't want to go into another season with their hopes pinned to always-injured Collaros. It's not out of the question that all 5 Western teams could start 2019 with a different QB than they ended 2018 with.

Edmonton is probably in the most dire situation if their incumbent QB leaves. Winnipeg has Streveler waiting in the wings, BC could at least fall back on Lulay if nobody better can be recruited, and the Stamps and Riders are good enough in other areas that a game-manager type could probably lead them to the playoffs at least (or Grey Cup for Calgary). Edmonton...well, look what happened when Reilly slumped in the second half of the year. (And a slumping Reilly is still a better option than any likely alternative).

Haha, reaching a little ways back into history here. I doubt they have another Jeff Garcia sitting there waiting for a chance, but like I said they are good enough to win as long as a new QB isn't an outright hindrance.

Nichols is not a free agent. He is signed through the 2019 season. All 3 Bombers QB's are under contract for next year, there's likely no change in Winnipeg in the names on the depth chart. It is very possible Streveler passes Nichols on the depth chart sometime next year as early as training camp though.

It's hard to project the QB's around the league right now though I agree. Particularly with the CBA problems right now no answers are coming soon. Nichols is the only real starter signed for next year with his team, but I'm guessing Harris in Ottawa and Masoli in Hamilton are back next year. Montreal gave up too much to give up on Manziel just yet so they probably lose another 5-6 straight next year to start the year with him there as a starter. It's completely up in the air what happens in BC, CGY, EDM, SSK, TOR. That's five teams for 1 great QB (Reilly), 2 reclamation projects (Jennings, Collaros) and 2 HUGE maybe's that have shown flashes but overall not great (Bridge, Bethel-Thompson). Toronto and BC might have to fall back on Franklin and Lulay respectively.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Nichols is not a free agent. He is signed through the 2019 season. All 3 Bombers QB's are under contract for next year, there's likely no change in Winnipeg in the names on the depth chart. It is very possible Streveler passes Nichols on the depth chart sometime next year as early as training camp though.

It's hard to project the QB's around the league right now though I agree. Particularly with the CBA problems right now no answers are coming soon. Nichols is the only real starter signed for next year with his team, but I'm guessing Harris in Ottawa and Masoli in Hamilton are back next year. Montreal gave up too much to give up on Manziel just yet so they probably lose another 5-6 straight next year to start the year with him there as a starter. It's completely up in the air what happens in BC, CGY, EDM, SSK, TOR. That's five teams for 1 great QB (Reilly), 2 reclamation projects (Jennings, Collaros) and 2 HUGE maybe's that have shown flashes but overall not great (Bridge, Bethel-Thompson). Toronto and BC might have to fall back on Franklin and Lulay respectively.

Hmmm, thought I'd heard Nichols was a free agent a couple of times recently, apparently I was wrong.

I think Bethel-Thompson is an interesting case. I thought he showed some good flashes and that his biggest problem was Toronto's strange play calling, which was chucking bombs all day. But Trestman got punted so blank slate.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If a new QB emerges for Winnipeg, what are the chances they kick the tires on trading Nichols? I figure there'd be a bit of interest in him around the league.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If a new QB emerges for Winnipeg, what are the chances they kick the tires on trading Nichols? I figure there'd be a bit of interest in him around the league.

I doubt Winnipeg will be exploring trading Nichols this off-season. They won't go all in on Streveler just yet until he beats Nichols out in camp or Nichols continues to struggle to start next year. Winnipeg won't bank everything on Streveler just yet. With the QB carousel going on this year I doubt there is interest in any trading until we see who is left holding the bag after UFA.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Coach O taking over in the Hammer. Super happy with the appointment. I liked Jones, but Steinauer has always been a personal favourite of mine. Pretty solid win-win situation having them both stay imo.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Duke Williams off to the Bills next year. Big hit for the Eskis if he becomes a main stay down south

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Willy released by the Als. At 32 he is not getting any younger, is he worth picking up as a back up? Or is he too far gone at this point?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So not a back up QB, what about a third string?

Ideally you have a capable back-up and reserve the third-stringer spot for a young guy who you might be able to develop into something decent. Often somebody with the mobility/athleticism to be used in short yardage situations. So no, I wouldn't want Drew Willy on my depth chart at all. If your scouting staff can't find a fresh NCAA graduate with more promise than a Drew Willy level of player, they've failed. Bo-Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly both entered this league at #3 on their team's depth charts. You'd hate to pass on a prospect like that in favour of a washed up veteran.

Reactions: robertmac43

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd poke fun at Jones for bailing out on another team again but i mean...it's the NFL. He'd be a fool not to take the promotion.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Damn. Riders might be better at playing more than one facet of the game now. Bad news for rest of west division.

I'll disagree here. The Riders defense, which is the strength of their team, just took a massive hit. Their offense might improve (assuming the new HC fires Steve McAdoo-doo), but I doubt it offsets the loss on the other side of the ball. Saskatchewan just went from contender to pretender in my books.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
MontreAls is a terrible name. Also they went with a terrible shade of blue. Although the logo they just had wasn't great they had great jerseys up until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad