The ceiling of Elias Pettersson

The ceiling of Elias Pettersson?

• Total voters

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I don't see the correct option.

Not as good as "top 20", that's for sure............But not a "generational bust" either.

Somewhere in between.

When this thread was created anything but top 20 would be seen as generational bust in comparison to the contemporary hype and to be fair he did play like a top 3 player in the nhl for the first 30 games or so. The Kotka injury did something to him, not sure exactly what it’s about but seems to have affected him long term unfortunately.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
When this thread was created anything but top 20 would be seen as generational bust in comparison to the contemporary hype and to be fair he did play like a top 3 player in the nhl for the first 30 games or so. The Kotka injury did something to him, not sure exactly what it’s about but seems to have affected him long term unfortunately.
Like make him score 4g, 11p in 10 games when he came back? Don't think it has anything to do with injury, guy started slumping when teams figured out how to shut him down. He's been playing against better defenders and lines, and if Boeser is struggling too...it's easy to shut that line down.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Like make him score 4g, 11p in 10 games when he came back? Don't think it has anything to do with injury, guy started slumping when teams figured out how to shut him down. He's been playing against better defenders and lines, and if Boeser is struggling too...it's easy to shut that line down.

That’s the danger of stats watching - no, he wasn’t the same player coming back, he was lucky, had a bunch of fortunate bounces which “saved” his projection in the first couple of weeks after that comeback. I watched almost all of his games last season, you clearly didn’t.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
There should be lower options

I say it again, when this thread was created anything below top 20 would’ve been considered as “generational bust” in relation to how he was projected at the time.

Which means that if you now at this point in time consider his ceiling to be lower than top 20 the correct option is “generational bust” which in that case is what he is in relation to the expectations on him when this thread was created, and that is how old threads should be treated if revisited.

Last edited:

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Where's the "good 1st liner" option?

I say it again, when this thread was created anything below top 20 would’ve been considered as “generational bust” in relation to how he was projected at the time.

Which means that if you now at this point in time consider his ceiling to be lower than top 20 the correct option is “generational bust” which in that case is what he is in relation to the expectations on him when this thread was created, and that is how old threads should be treated if revisited.​

Last edited:

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
That’s the danger of stats watching - no, he wasn’t the same player coming back, he was lucky, had a bunch of fortunate bounces which “saved” his projection in the first couple of weeks after that comeback. I watched almost all of his games last season, you clearly didn’t.
lmfao... it's more embarrassing when you can't even admit you're wrong after I pull up stats.

He saw Boeser get the puck at the point and tipped it in vs Red Wings,
Shot a wicked slapshot vs. Chicago
His PP blaster vs Kings.
Only one that might have been luck was the buzzer beater in Washington, and thats cause the goalie was completely down.

Come on, go watch them on YouTube again buddy.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
lmfao... it's more embarrassing when you can't even admit you're wrong after I pull up stats.

He saw Boeser get the puck at the point and tipped it in vs Red Wings,
Shot a wicked slapshot vs. Chicago
His PP blaster vs Kings.
Only one that might have been luck was the buzzer beater in Washington, and thats cause the goalie was completely down.

Come on, go watch them on YouTube again buddy.

Jesus, YouTube? Seriously? Either you watched the games or you didn’t. He was not the same player. The slapper vs Chicago was off the goalie’s helmet, not in the top corner as he had done several times prior to that. Let me put it like this - he didn’t create nearly as much as pre injury, didn’t play nearly as well, for the first couple of weeks his production stayed almost the same and I call that lucky cause it didn’t reflect his over all game. How you decide to break down some of his goals is irrelevant. Did you watch these games in full and how many EP games did you watch last season? That’s all that matters if you wanna have a say in this discussion.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Jesus, YouTube? Seriously? Either you watched the games or you didn’t. He was not the same player. The slapper vs Chicago was off the goalie’s helmet, not in the top corner as he had done several times prior to that. Let me put it like this - he didn’t create nearly as much as pre injury, didn’t play nearly as well, for the first couple of weeks his production stayed almost the same and I call that lucky cause it didn’t reflect his over all game. How you decide to break down some of his goals is irrelevant. Did you watch these games in full and how many EP games did you watch last season? That’s all that matters if you wanna have a say in this discussion.
I literally don't care about having this discussion, I watched every game lol so not sure why you keep mentioning this. I said to watch YouTube because I don't think you remember much of it. Lucky bounces didn't save his projection, that's why I also went through the goals. Yes, he did get some luck but this isn't something that suddenly came about after his MTL injury. Anyways, believe what you want. This kid is still that player.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
The Kotka injury did something to him, not sure exactly what it’s about but seems to have affected him long term unfortunately.

Man, I have to go back and read those reactions. People were acting like Kotkaniemi had killed him and were calling for huge suspensions.

As for the poll, I hate these options. A top-3 player in the league or in a team? A top-3 player would be pretty much the same as some of the other options.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
The correct answer is anywhere from top 10 to occasional major award but even the latter isn't likely in the era of McJesus. That said, I voted GOAT out of respect to the thread.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Which means that if you now at this point in time consider his ceiling to be lower than top 20 the correct option is “generational bust” which in that case is what he is in relation to the expectations on him when this thread was created, and that is how old threads should be treated if revisited.​

I think that just because a few guys had an absurd view of his development trajectory doesn't make him a generational bust even if he likely does just end up as an above average 1st liner talent. That alone puts him in fairly exclusive company in the grand scheme of.things

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I think that just because a few guys had an absurd view of his development trajectory doesn't make him a generational bust even if he likely does just end up as an above average 1st liner talent. That alone puts him in fairly exclusive company in the grand scheme of.things

It wasn’t a few guys, around the time when this thread was created he won polls vs Matthews, Eichel etc etc pretty comfortably. And he was mentioned as a top 3 player already in the media on regular basis. The hype was absolutely unreal. So in that context anything below top 20 is to be regarded as a generational bust, that’s just how it is. If the thread was created today there would likely be room for lower options but that’s not the case.

In fact, the poll options was sort of written to reflect the hype, and the gap between top 20 and generational bust was put there on purpose like “hey guys, what if this generational hype turns into a generational bust...?”.

Last edited:

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
You're living up to your name thats for sure. It amazes me when people cant identify his talent. Must make watching hockey confusing/frustrating.
Just because I don't think he'll be amongst the best, doesn't mean I don't think he'll be elite. Guess my username is everything with me not being to identify his talent though?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I’d say a pretty realistic ceiling and comparable for him
Would be something like a Pavel Datsyuk or Anze Kopitar both in style and caliber.

Both guys were only Hart Finalists one-time in their career but we’re very elite players for a Long time.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
There's no area between Occasional Major Award and Bust? You basically phrased "Elite" half a dozen different ways.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He was 28th in the league in points after 30 games. He had a great start but let's not go nuts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->