The ceiling of Elias Pettersson

The ceiling of Elias Pettersson?

• Total voters

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I have no idea but his ceiling is very high.

The reason his ceiling is so high is because while his IQ is crazy high and he's also crazy talented, he also has a lot of room to grow. Specifically, if he can get stronger and faster, he'll be so damn good. Most guys who are at the level he is currently at don't have as much room to grow as he does.

EP is also one of the few guys who can do so many different things offensively. Whats his best offensive attribute? His vision? His shot? His hands? It's hard to say because he can do it all.

Add all that to the fact that he's already a good defensive player and it makes me really excited to be a Canucks fan right now.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Canucks fan here: Occassional Major award is the most realistic and likely option.

Should be a top 10 player in the league for quite some time, with some seasons as top 3-5, could snag an Art Ross and/or Hart during his peak.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
If he can stay healthy and the Canucks manage to surround him with a good supporting cast, I think he has the talent to push McDavid. Those are mighty big "if's" though.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He’ll be a legit #1C who will often contend in most people’s top 10 and some people’s top 5. He will win some awards.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think his ceiling is generational, but not sure he reaches that. But he has sooooo many tools. Think it'll take him to his mid-20s to gain some manstrength and hit his real stride, but I think he'll give McDavid and co. a run for his money. I'm only basing this on my own hype and hope though, nothing really tangible, so I can get why some are more skeptical.

Let's look at the list of people EP beat as an U20 scorer in the SHL and what they became in the NHL.

swedish-hockey-stats.png

All of these players except Gradin has scored over 100 points in the NHL. Based on history theres a 1 in 10 chance that Pettersson wont trend to score 100 points. If he hits that marker, theres a good chance he'll be occasionally in a position to win a major award whether thats the Hart, Art Ross, or a Ted Lindsay.

Wellllll....two of those seasons are Daniel Sedin and two are Naslund, so that's 8 rather than 10, but I do think it's an important note.

danito

Apr 10, 2015
One of the smartest young players I've ever seen, also has tremendous fundementals. People are stunned at how this skinny kid can shoot so fast but if you watch him wind up he has a huge wind up/follow through and he puts a lot of force on the stick. If anyone follows baseball you will know of Tim Lincecum who was even smaller than Pettersson but had one of the fastest fastballs in the game because of his fundementals and windup. He gets his whole body behind the ball. Same with Elias.

He has the total package, only injuries or complacency can slow him down from becoming a top 5 player in the league

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Top 20. That's no slight to EP, I think he will be a top 10 forward, and being a top 20 player is still a superstar.
But I don't think he will be dominant enough to become a unanimous top 10 player or win any major trophy (bar the Calder).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I voted generational, but I don't consider that to be above "extended period as the best player" or "multiple Harts"

Ovechkin is generational and rarely if ever held the title of best player in the NHL. Jagr is generational and only has one Hart.

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Let's look at the list of people EP beat as an U20 scorer in the SHL and what they became in the NHL.

swedish-hockey-stats.png

All of these players except Gradin has scored over 100 points in the NHL. Based on history theres a 1 in 10 chance that Pettersson wont trend to score 100 points. If he hits that marker, theres a good chance he'll be occasionally in a position to win a major award whether thats the Hart, Art Ross, or a Ted Lindsay.
IMO, these figures in addition to his great rookie season (so far) makes it somewhat likely that he will be a top 1-3 NHL player some day and win at least one major award like art/hart/pearson. However, I still think Forsberg was slightly better at the same age. I have never seen a player that dominant in SHL ever. Just looking at points do not make Forsbergs SHL dominance justice. I would say that Pettersson is more talented than Sedins and Naslund but slightly less talented compared to Forsberg.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

swedish-hockey-stats.png

Those aren’t Pettersson’s full season stats from last season. He finished with 44gp 24g 32a 56pts. Playoffs he had 13gp 10g 9a 19pts.

Last edited:

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Wellllll....two of those seasons are Daniel Sedin and two are Naslund, so that's 8 rather than 10, but I do think it's an important note.

Still enough for a pretty obvious pattern. Best seasons in points:

Nilsson #3
Forsberg #1
Näslund #2
H. Sedin #1
D. Sedin #1
Bäckström #4

With him beating them all both prior to this season and currently, we should expect at least some kind of major award before his career is over.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
His ceiling is the best player in the game.

When you start as well as he has at age 19, I don't see how that could be ruled out. Whether he gets there is another matter.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

flipp

Jan 11, 2010
Still enough for a pretty obvious pattern. Best seasons in points:

Nilsson #3
Forsberg #1
Näslund #2
H. Sedin #1
D. Sedin #1
Bäckström #4

With him beating them all both prior to this season and currently, we should expect at least some kind of major award before his career is over.
The sample size is still quite small so his SHL numbers do of course not not guarantee any major awards. We also have players like Mats Lindgren and William Nylander how played less games but still put up close to ppg in SHL at a similar age.
However, despite this fact I think many americans do not give enough weight to Petterssons achivements in SHL. His stats from SHL makes it much less likely that his impressive rookie season is a fluke (as some people on this board seem to think).

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
What people don’t seem to understand, especislly the ones claiming ”hot streak” and ”unsustainable sh%”, is that Elias actually had a very unfortunate season this far. Two injuries already which both took a while to recover from (I think the way he played his first 6 games pre concussion - he didn’t quite get back to that level until 3 or 4 games before the knee injury), not to mention that Boeser was out for an extended period of time leaving EP to carry Goldobin and Eriksson on his line. Also the team health situation in general during their toughest roadtrip - both legit top 4 Dman out for example - and this is when his only major cold streak happened. Under more ”normal” circumstances (and preferably better teammates over all off course) he could actually compete for Art Ross + Rocket Richard already this year.
He hasn't scored in 5 on 5 since February of last season.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don't see the correct option.

Not as good as "top 20", that's for sure............But not a "generational bust" either.

Somewhere in between.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Some of these options overlap so I just went top 20, seems the most comfortable option for me. Top 20 forward.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Definitely overrated due to his start, I see a 70-80 points 1C. Everyone were calling him a 100 points Hart contender :facepalm:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

swedish-hockey-stats.png

so nylander with a higher ppg than 6/10 means he has a 60% chance to get 100pts?
nice

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think Pettersson will be a constant top 20 player. 85-90pt #1C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad