The CBJ fan experience 2021 (in-arena attendance and related discussion here)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I figure with the season starting soon, we need a place to have the rules for attending games at Nationwide Arena, which will probably change as the season goes on. Plus people who get to go to games can talk about what it was like.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The Cavs are allowed to have 10% attendance. I would expect the CBJ will have something similar.

Cleveland Cavaliers' fan variance request approved, but for 10 percent

The Cavaliers received approval of their variance request to increase spectators at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse on Tuesday.

But Stephanie McCloud, director of the Ohio Department of Health, decided to cap attendance at 10% percent of capacity, a total of 1,944 fans.

The Cavs had asked for 4,596 spectators in bowl seating (23.7%) and an additional 240 in suites (50% of capacity), and their plan had the backing of the Cleveland Department of Health.

The first two home games were played in front of 300 spectators in a venue with a seating capacity of 19,432.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Speaking of which is anyone confused by the email the team sent for the rollover of tickets to 21-22?

I'm already paid in full for my quarter season plan to roll to next year but it sounds like they only want to roll over 25% credit now and then push me into a new payment plan for before rolling over the remaining 75% I've already paid into a spillover credit for 22-23 based on the games (or lack there of) that I attend at any point this season.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
The Cavs are allowed to have 10% attendance. I would expect the CBJ will have something similar.

Cleveland Cavaliers' fan variance request approved, but for 10 percent

The Cavaliers received approval of their variance request to increase spectators at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse on Tuesday.

But Stephanie McCloud, director of the Ohio Department of Health, decided to cap attendance at 10% percent of capacity, a total of 1,944 fans.

The Cavs had asked for 4,596 spectators in bowl seating (23.7%) and an additional 240 in suites (50% of capacity), and their plan had the backing of the Cleveland Department of Health.

The first two home games were played in front of 300 spectators in a venue with a seating capacity of 19,432.
In your post, in two consecutive lines, I simultaneously saw "FieldHouse" and "Stephanie," and my brain just started singing "Everywhere you look..."

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Speaking of which is anyone confused by the email the team sent for the rollover of tickets to 21-22?

I'm already paid in full for my quarter season plan to roll to next year but it sounds like they only want to roll over 25% credit now and then push me into a new payment plan for before rolling over the remaining 75% I've already paid into a spillover credit for 22-23 based on the games (or lack there of) that I attend at any point this season.
Just got off the phone with someone with the team who isn’t my account rep, talk about confusing.
All they want is money, you are correct, they are trying to push us into paying ahead for next season and the season after that, if I understand it correctly. I told the gal that the business people should apologize to her for asking her to reach out to us when she couldn’t answer my questions
The CBJ motto should be that we try to bilk our STH one client at a time

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yes it seems the org is trying to figure out how to keep the money they already have from you and get you to continue to send them money for something they’re going to give you later. In the meantime, they’re not going to give you the thing but will continue to take your money.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just got off the phone with someone with the team who isn’t my account rep, talk about confusing.
All they want is money, you are correct, they are trying to push us into paying ahead for next season and the season after that, if I understand it correctly. I told the gal that the business people should apologize to her for asking her to reach out to us when she couldn’t answer my questions
The CBJ motto should be that we try to bilk our STH one client at a time
OK.

I did log in and look at my invoices and it seems like we can still choose the March, May, July payment plan that we traditionally do. I seem to recall also being offered and 10% credit for rolling everything over if I'm not mistaken. It is starting to sound like if we follow that plan we'll have to have payments made in March and then maybe the credits would then carry over for the May and July payments to cover 21-22 in full. I guess it depends on when they apply credits to the account since the regular season should be over by May on the schedule. I just didn't want to get into a situation where I wind up paying for the 21-22 season almost in full again before they bother to apply credits for what I've already paid to the 22-23 season.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
OK.

I did log in and look at my invoices and it seems like we can still choose the March, May, July payment plan that we traditionally do. I seem to recall also being offered and 10% credit for rolling everything over if I'm not mistaken. It is starting to sound like if we follow that plan we'll have to have payments made in March and then maybe the credits would then carry over for the May and July payments to cover 21-22 in full. I guess it depends on when they apply credits to the account since the regular season should be over by May on the schedule. I just didn't want to get into a situation where I wind up paying for the 21-22 season almost in full again before they bother to apply credits for what I've already paid to the 22-23 season.
My actual account rep called me back ten minutes later
He said that they are getting a lot of questions
I ended up rolling over my payments that I have made to next year
He admitted that they don’t think they will have fans for a large amount of the season
You were not the only one who was confused by their email
It is as if Mike Priest wrote the email

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
What I had heard (again could be wrong) is that with Arena staff there would be very limited attendance, if any at all.

I paid in advance for the 2020-21 season so I would assume it would just roll forward to 2021-22. Again my guess is it won't be until after May until we are all clear at earliest.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Yes it seems the org is trying to figure out how to keep the money they already have from you and get you to continue to send them money for something they’re going to give you later. In the meantime, they’re not going to give you the thing but will continue to take your money.
You hit the nail on the head
It is EXACTLY what they are trying to do
Another proud moment in CBJ history

Reactions: CPTN71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You hit the nail on the head
It is EXACTLY what they are trying to do
Another proud moment in CBJ history

It is questionable and comes across all wrong but, in fairness, I'd probably do the same thing in the org's shoes (skates?). They're trying to assure current and near-term income when there's nothing for them to offer you in return. But they have operating expenses.

It's not that different than the whole "buy a gift card from your favorite local business" to keep them going during the pandemic. (And no, I am not making a commentary on the guidelines/restrictions made in reaction to the pandemic, and no one should reply as if this is an opening for said. I'm just pointing out a financial similarity.)

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
It is questionable and comes across all wrong but, in fairness, I'd probably do the same thing in the org's shoes (skates?). They're trying to assure current and near-term income when there's nothing for them to offer you in return. But they have operating expenses.

It's not that different than the whole "buy a gift card from your favorite local business" to keep them going during the pandemic. (And no, I am not making a commentary on the guidelines/restrictions made in reaction to the pandemic, and no one should reply as if this is an opening for said. I'm just pointing out a financial similarity.)
Good points
It would be nice for them to try to maintain some goodwill among the faithful who continue to give them money, month after month
All I get is an invoice

Reactions: CPTN71

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Bet they got a PPP loan, and probably had it forgiven. Certainly their revenue streams have dried up.. time to suck your STH fanbase dry as well. Sorry about that folks, I'm not a STH, was actually thinking about getting tickets again last season, I had more time to go and work downtown.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
All I know is you guys have really handled the loss of ‘free food night’....horribly!!

I’d love Panarin too, but, this team is essentially at the best it’s ever been, and you guys act like it’s still 2004.

Reactions: Fro

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
All I know is you guys have really handled the loss of ‘free food night’....horribly!!

I’d love Panarin too, but, this team is essentially at the best it’s ever been, and you guys act like it’s still 2004.
I just want to know what they want from me in regards to paying for my tickets and to have it explained clearly since I seriously doubt I will be going to any games this season.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

Some people have been supporting this team as STHs spending thousands of dollars a years for up to 20 years and you expect people to be satisfied with empty answers because "this team is essentially the best it's ever been?"

Woop dee fn doo. What a joke. The STHs deserve better.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Some people have been supporting this team as STHs spending thousands of dollars a years for up to 20 years and you expect people to be satisfied with empty answers because "this team is essentially the best it's ever been?"

Woop dee fn doo. What a joke. The STHs deserve better.

I mean, if your able to spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on sports tickets, you won’t get any sympathy from me. There’s people who don’t have enough for food or housing.

I’m not sure even what you really even want from the organization.

What would be adequate or make you happy?? That question goes to many.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I mean, if your able to spend 10’s of thousands of dollars on sports tickets, you won’t get any sympathy from me. There’s people who don’t have enough for food or housing.

I’m not sure even what you really even want from the organization.

What would be adequate or make you happy?? That question goes to many.

And now you want to double down on this nonsense. You take a lot of weird stances but this is one of the most ridiculous. If your employer withholds your paycheck this week you get no sympathy from me if they give you an empty answer to where it is.

Edit: I'm not a STH for the record.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And now you want to double down on this nonsense. You take a lot of weird stances but this is one of the most ridiculous. If your employer withholds your paycheck this week you get no sympathy from me if they give you an empty answer to where it is.

Edit: I'm not a STH for the record.

:-Herm Edwards voice-:

You pay to watch the games!! (In person)

And you have no idea the hassle some people have gone through over the years JUST to be able to watch CBJ games the only way possible, on bumpy streams that you can barely make out a puck.

It seems you and others take things for granted.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
:-Herm Edwards voice-:

You pay to watch the games!! (In person)

And you have no idea the hassle some people have gone through over the years JUST to be able to watch CBJ games the only way possible, on bumpy streams that you can barely make out a puck.

It seems you and others take things for granted.

:loony:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Honestly, I can sympathize with both positions on this one. My financial situation's never been good enough to be able to afford season tickets (or even regular attendance - I usually manage maybe one or two games a year, and I hadn't gotten my chance this past year before the pandemic hit), but I can easily understand why folks paying lots and lots of money would be expecting more. I honestly think at this point we have a good enough team that there's not much more to realistically expect... but I'm not the one who's been spending money for 20 years, so I'm not in a position to dictate to folks how they should feel.

How the team gets evaluated, on the other hand... :D Wanting more is fair and understandable. Insisting it's mandatory and that we otherwise suck is just being in grumpy denial of the reality on the ice. The team's good. Whether that makes up for having spent on Doug MacLean's promises is a different consideration (and one that I've not been obliged to make, altho those who do have my sympathies and my thanks for their support). But that doesn't make the team any less good.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok, I might be missing something, what is the question that there are “empty answers” for?

Are they charging people for this season already?
I'm getting the impression that they'd really really like to and have been leading people to believe that they will. Not entirely sure tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->