The Case for Tyler Bozak: All Tyler Bozak Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
People just rack on him probably because hes not flashy. Seriously, look at the leaf players that people on this board love, Kessel, Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander. All guys that are flash and thats it. Bozaks just a hard working NHLer but because hes not making these incredible plays or dekes he seems to be considered trash among these boards. I feel like leaf fans would ***** about RoR if he was on our team.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Really prefer Bozak getting his ice time cut down and playing on the 2nd line. He's starting to prove to me that he can be a solid #2, but there's no way he should be in the top 10 C's in ice time. His body can't handle it and it ends up hurting the team. Getting 17 mins a game instead of 20-21 will be good for everyone.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
10 points in 9 games and looking not too shabby. If he can keep it up that's a pretty good bargain we got on our hands with 4.2$.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
He has been pretty good, just needs to keep this consistent. I think the Leafs problem is not a #1 C but rather their entire defense. Defense needs an overhaul starting with Phanuef.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Bozak is a good secondary piece. If we had a legit first line center, I don't believe for one second that Bozak would get all this hate. He's an above average player at almost every faucet of the game. If the Leafs management to get that top-like center. It will take the media attention off Kessel/Bozak and literally let them play their games. A second line of JVR/Bozak/Lupul is solid. We need two more top 6 pieces IMO. Another top 6 power-forward, #1C, and another good D. I feel like we have the pieces to make this happen and push our stars down on the attention scale.

The bigger issue is that we've had immense pressure on management to do something big for sometime now. Instead they are putting their eggs into Kadri developing as a #1, which realistically I can't see happening. It's either you have Bozak or Kadri as your #2 guy. In order to make a big trade one of them will have to go. We are stuck in a weird middle zone where we're not bad enough to be a bottom 5 and not good enough to compete with top teams.

Pick a direction management, it's were rebuilding or competing. If the latter you need to take calculated risks. If it's a rebuild you need to be bad to get the proper player to develop within a system.

We have some legitimate pieces is the issue and some flawed pieces. I feel that Nonis is a very passive GM and ultimately it's a ripple effect amongst our whole team. It's the reason he got fired in Vancouver and the reason he will be tossed to the lions with the Leafs. Gillies made a couple big moves and got Vancouver to the finals. He made significantly bad moves after, but you need a hard-nosed GM to set the tone. You don't play well for 2 seasons? Well guess what your packing your begs.

The leafs have a chucky cheese mentality right now and it's pissing me off.

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They need to make some tough decisions on Gardiner, Kadri, Phaneuf, Kessel.....Lupul to a lesser extent and try, somehow, to get a #1C

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
He has been pretty good, just needs to keep this consistent. I think the Leafs problem is not a #1 C but rather their entire defense. Defense needs an overhaul starting with Phanuef.

Yes. To improve our defense we need to trade our best defenseman.

I definitely see your train of thought!

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton

The fact that he's the best defenseman is the problem. He's getting paid like one but doesn't fit the bill on the ice.

Bozak for no real reason has always been a polarizing player. You can say he's riding Kessel's coat tails sure, but it's not like he hasn't made the team better by doing so. It's not his fault they can't bring anyone better in. He's done an admirable job, he just needs to play a whole season. That's a major reason people don't think much of him, he still needs to prove he can be consistent.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Dion gone shows an overhaul on defense and a focus on a new direction. I can understand the logic behind it. The idea is to give the reigns to the kids and let them develop into the role. Dion is one of our better defensemen, but in the same breath it's a double standard. DP can have an awful game yet, get his 20 minutes a night on a consistent basis. If Gardiner/Rielly have a great game, then a crap game theres a threat of being scratched.

Accountability has to be apparent with every single player. The issue is that some players get a "free" pass like Kessel has said himself. You can't let the prisoners run the jail at the end of the day..

alexanderselivanov*

if the forwards played deeper in their own zone like most NHL teams do you would clearly see the defenseman are not and were not ever the problem. How many times have I seen RIelly getting cornered by two forwards where no where to go or pass to because guys like Bozak or Kadri are playing high up near center ice. The D men are not the problem...yes phaneuf has his habits and so does Gardiner but in its entirety the bulk of the leafs defensive woes starts with the forwards.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Getting separated from Kessel is a big opportunity to show that Bozak is a good centre that can produce on his own .. I thought he played well, a chance for him to establish himself more independently

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Getting separated from Kessel is a big opportunity to show that Bozak is a good centre that can produce on his own .. I thought he played well, a chance for him to establish himself more independently

He did play well, could have scored more. Puck bounced off his stick some, an area where Bozak still needs to improve.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
the points are nice.

how is he on the face off dot. how is he defensively. does he win battles on the boards. these are the things that separate the really good centres from Bozey

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I would like to see Leivo recalled:
JVR-Bozak-Leivo
Move Clarkson back with Santorelli/Komarov.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would prefer Kessel and Bozak on line 2 w/ 1st PP minutes to limit more their ES time. Would target l1-l4 @ 18, 18, 14, 10m

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
You want to know what, he has improved offensively, looks much better in the O-zone, solid on the dot etc. But I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about his '2-way game' or his 'defensive game'. Do people ignore how he's been man-handled by all of the good team's best players? He's one of the reasons why we get trapped in the D-zone so often, the guy got torn apart by David freakin Krejci just this past weekend. He(Krejci) is the definition of an average to above average 2-way player and he made Bozak look like a punk. This is where a lot of the criticism comes from, his over-rated 'defensive' game.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You want to know what, he has improved offensively, looks much better in the O-zone, solid on the dot etc. But I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about his '2-way game' or his 'defensive game'. Do people ignore how he's been man-handled by all of the good team's best players? He's one of the reasons why we get trapped in the D-zone so often, the guy got torn apart by David freakin Krejci just this past weekend. He(Krejci) is the definition of an average to above average 2-way player and he made Bozak look like a punk. This is where a lot of the criticism comes from, his over-rated 'defensive' game.

I don't know a lot of his criticism seems to stem from the same few posters being extremely upset he's in Kadri's way. The guy has a decent contract, he definitely benefits from Kessel offensively but I think he also suffers defensively. I think a good stint away from Kessel will do a lot to silence his more vocal critics.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
And very good at shootouts. And can play on both the PK and the PP.

Bozak is the only player the Leafs have signed/resigned to a raise who's play actually got better as a result of the money/contract increase.
Kessel/Phaneuf didn't get better from their last contract to this one.
Bozak however jumped from 1 million whatever/year with a .61 points/game to a 4 million/year with .84 points/game.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I don't know a lot of his criticism seems to stem from the same few posters being extremely upset he's in Kadri's way. The guy has a decent contract, he definitely benefits from Kessel offensively but I think he also suffers defensively. I think a good stint away from Kessel will do a lot to silence his more vocal critics.

While Kessel may not be the greatest defensive player, it's no excuse as to why Bozak is always being out-matched in puck battles on a consistent basis.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The problem with Bozak is that he is Bozak and not, oh I dunno, Kopitar say.

Bozak is a fine hockey player. That's about it.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
People just rack on him probably because hes not flashy. Seriously, look at the leaf players that people on this board love, Kessel, Kadri, Gardiner, Nylander. All guys that are flash and thats it. Bozaks just a hard working NHLer but because hes not making these incredible plays or dekes he seems to be considered trash among these boards. I feel like leaf fans would ***** about RoR if he was on our team.

ROR is ridiculous overrated, so I probably would have issues with him.

But I'll say Bozak is making a believer of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad