The Case for Tyler Bozak: All Tyler Bozak Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If another centre goes down. what are our options? looks kinda thin now.

if another centre goes down... we'd probably have to put someone like JVR as a centre and then use Leivo or Bodie on the wing in the top nine.

cause ya... after mcclement, there isn't much there.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kadri has not really stepped up in Bozak's absence, now with Bolland out, we are really going to need him. Only his second full year, perhaps unfair but he has confidence, he needs to show that edge to his game that is missing of late. Nazem is going to be an important player for us with the big hole of not having Bolland and Bozak down the middle.

hockeyfanz*

Leafs don't miss Bozak one bit. His contract is awful. His "chemistry" with Kessel has been nonexistant since his first 30 or so NHL games. He's our third-best center being given top offensive minutes. The only thing that's improved over ~250 NHL games is his pay.

3rd best? ahead of who Bolland? Kadri? McClement?

I think you meant 4th best.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If another centre goes down. what are our options? looks kinda thin now.

Almost missed this gem of a post. Let's ask the anti-Bozak gang that. I would honestly like to know.

No Bozak till alteast the 25th, and Bolland out indefinitely. And take out the game Kadri had against Edmonton, yes that awful Edmonton team. Where's that #1C?

What are our options?

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Almost missed this gem of a post. Let's ask the anti-Bozak gang that. I would honestly like to know.

No Bozak till alteast the 25th, and Bolland out indefinitely. And take out the game Kadri had against Edmonton, yes that awful Edmonton team. Where's that #1C?

What are our options?

Kadri had a bad game so you are getting all tingley?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

What are our options?

Let's do a Red Kelly and put Gardiner a center.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Mc is a pretty good C to be honest. He is better than Bozak to begin with. For what his role is he is better than Bolland as well in some respects.

We are one of the weakest teams at C and this is a big part of why we get outshot. We can't drive possession, fact, these shots against partially relate directly to the loss of Grabo.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let's do a Red Kelly and put Gardiner a center.

You know, if he had some time feeling the position out, I bet he could learn it and do it.

Carlyle doesn't have Bowman balls to pull something like this though.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
3rd best? ahead of who Bolland? Kadri? McClement?

I think you meant 4th best.

I was putting him ahead of McClement. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that Bozak is not really "better" than McClement. McClement is by far the superior defensive player, and their respective offensive games are not even that far apart. The main difference is that Bozak plays with stars and McClement doesnt.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I was putting him ahead of McClement. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that Bozak is not really "better" than McClement. McClement is by far the superior defensive player, and their respective offensive games are not even that far apart. The main difference is that Bozak plays with stars and McClement doesnt.

i tend to agree... however i think this is because McClement is really good as opposed to Bozak being really bad.

also... look at the post i made before yesterday's game at the top of this page... me and Earl Sweatshirt jinxed it.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Over the past 82 games that Bozak has played he has:

Goals: 27
Assists: 41

It would be nice if he could stay healthy for an entire year.

Was scratching my head there for awhile. Most of the posts are from a year ago. I see what your doing now (I think). :D

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For those who think Bozak is holding back the Kessel-JVR line, holding them back from what? Becoming 100-point and 80-point players respectively?

Bozak knows exactly what his role is when he's out with Kessel and JVR:

At even-strength he's a puck-distributing defensive counterpart to Kessel and JVR's offence-first mindset. Often he will get the puck in the Leafs zone and immediately make a pass to a streaking Kessel, who carries it through the neutral zone and into the opposing zone.

On the powerplay he plays the pivot position in the slot, turning to whoever has the puck around our umbrella formation and presenting them with a second option in case their first option (Franson --> Phaneuf, Phaneuf --> Kessel) isn't available.

Shorthanded, he was our second-best penalty-killing forward in terms of PPGA/60min shorthanded last season. McClement was first at 3.75PPGA/60SH and Bozak was close behind at 3.95PPGA/60SH. Among all forwards with 75 mins or more of shorthanded time, Bozak finished tied for 10th in that statistic.

We have a team that is structured much differently than most other teams, as our best players are our wingers. We can afford to have someone like Bozak where he is. There is no rule that your best centerman should always play with your best wingers. It's called spreading around the offence.
An older post, but pretty bang-on. I mean, I'd love to have a star #1 C, or even a Stastny/Krejci type, but we don't have one. Bozak has been playing really well this year and last year, and has legitimately been one of our best forwards. People hate him because they want Kadri to have his spot, but Kadri's game is still VERY flawed. Yes, Kadri's hands are sick, but he still gets pushed around a lot physically, and makes too many wrong decisions. He's getting better, but for now Bozak is still a significantly better player. Bozak's the best centre on the team, arguably the 3rd best forward, and really does not deserve the hate he gets. The coaching staff are absolutely correct to play him on the top line.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I was putting him ahead of McClement. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that Bozak is not really "better".... and their respective offensive games are not even that far apart
I know it's old, but really? Nobody touched this?

10 pts in 81 games vs 49 in 58?
Bozak
131 points

Mcclement
45 points (in more games I should add)

This is close? Some of the most ridiculous stuff ever...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bozak is producing no doubt, 56 points in his last 65 games since his break out year last season.

I still think he can play better, we are not sure why he missed games this preseason, but I think there is still something bothering him.

That's my observation. He seems a little slower than usual, something to keep an eye on.

The critique of Bozak that I have for him, is he has got to be healthier, I am not sure what his off season training consists of, but if Leafs lose him for any amount of time this year, this team will be in trouble.

He is the best faceoff man on the team with Mcclement, drawing the toughest assigments nightly, and is the team's best Center.

Don't think anyone will argue this now. Needs to stay healthy and prove he can play 82 games.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Bozak is producing no doubt, 56 points in his last 65 games since his break out year last season.

I still think he can play better, we are not sure why he missed games this preseason, but I think there is still something bothering him.

That's my observation. He seems a little slower than usual, something to keep an eye on.

The critique of Bozak that I have for him, is he has got to be healthier, I am not sure what his off season training consists of, but if Leafs lose him for any amount of time this year, this team will be in trouble.

He is the best faceoff man on the team with Mcclement, drawing the toughest assigments nightly, and is the team's best Center.

Don't think anyone will argue this now. Needs to stay healthy and prove he can play 82 games.

No question there. He's shown he can be a 1b/2a for short periods of time, but something always happens.

Regardless, offensively jmac is not even in the same ballpark.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's funny that he's been more productive than JVR last year and this year, yet everyone thinks he's the one leeching.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think he is a top centre man on a playoff team. It has been proven, has it not? If they make the playoffs this year with him as our top centre then I will eat crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->