The Case for Ryan Strome

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Eh, I think that gets tricky. He’s ahead on points, but I’m not sure that’s inherently the deciding factor. The other challenge is that Strome is entering that weird territory where his offensive numbers potentially drive into into expensive territory for what he does.

It’s a bit of a weird situation with him.

Yeah, for the Rangers keeping Strome as 2C on a long term would be cost prohibitive. On the other hand taking him for a cup run or two on his current contract (and maybe with some retention by the Rangers) - and I’d put him on a par or better as 2C with Boston, Isles, Habs, Oilers, Vegas, Sota, Arizona, St L, and another few teams.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Personally I can see a scenario where Zibanejad is traded for an up-and-coming center and not being replaced by an another expensive high profile 1C because of cap concerns. Instead our center depth would look like Strome - Chytil - Zib’s trade while keeping all of Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko, Buchnevich, Kravtsov and Kreider in top-9.

That would be ironic because that's the way we got Zib in the first place

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If there is a good deal on the table I think you take it, that is my take. If nobody wants to give up 1st rounder + then hold on to him

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Eh, I think that gets tricky. He’s ahead on points, but I’m not sure that’s inherently the deciding factor. The other challenge is that Strome is entering that weird territory where his offensive numbers potentially drive into into expensive territory for what he does.

It’s a bit of a weird situation with him.
Been my concern with him for a while. He’s more expensive than we can afford. He’s a championship 3C being paid like a 2C. Or at least he will be by the time we’re contending.

With no cap I’m thrilled with him as our long term 3C and pp stalwart.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That would be ironic because that's the way we got Zib in the first place
I don’t think so. There’s not gonna be enough ice time/PP/ development time/ call it what you want to run 3 lines equally. It worked 1 year for Pitt and their guys started pricing themselves out. The wining formula is top 2 lines of heavy hitter and guys that do the brunt of the scoring and the bottom 6 is full of cheap kids and vets that know their roles and chip in a timely goal here and there. I highly doubt we see the same squad in the next 2 years that people envision. Trades will be made kids will continue to replenish the ranks

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Any extension for me is contingent upon this continued level of performance through the TDL of next season.

Im open to the idea, but a lot of things would have to go exactly right. His cost and movement clause requests would have to be reasonable, etc etc.

One bonus is his flexibility positionally. Say NYR end up extending zibby and then another good center falls into their laps- you can play Strome at RW and cycle him in if/when there is an injury.

The biggest question I have regarding Strome as a 2c moving forward though is about whether his game translates well to postseason hockey, one of the reasons our last good roster never got over the hump is that our star player in Rick Nash was terrible in the playoffs
I like your post as well, thing is Stromer is not reall perceived as a "star" player, I regard to your concerns of the playoffs. I like the idea of keeping Stromet at least until the trading deadline of next year and look at what options are at that point. Who's even to say that Chytil doesn't rise to become a 1C, Zibby asks for way too much money and way too much term then, we might have to trade Zibby, and end up keeping Stromer because he's going to be lower cost at 2C. That's my take on it, but either way Stromer playing great, really bodes well for the Rangers especially if we decide to trade him and keep Zibby.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I don't think Strome is good enough to be a top 2 C on a contending team. The Rangers cannot afford to pay him big money given the already cumbersome Kreider and Trouba contracts. Ask Jim Benning how it works handing out long term anchor contracts.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think Strome is good enough to be a top 2 C on a contending team. The Rangers cannot afford to pay him big money given the already cumbersome Kreider and Trouba contracts. Ask Jim Benning how it works handing out long term anchor contracts.

He can play wing on a good team or 3rd line center.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Strome has provided pretty much the max value you could have hoped for when we acquired him. Despite the moments he makes you want to throw something at the television, he puts up the offense.

The question is the terms of the next contract. Kind of like Buch, it might be feasible, or at least ideal. In that sense, you try to sell high. His tenure here might depend on what offers are on the table and when.

Id listen on him if it’s determined that the playoffs aren’t happening but absent an overpay, I’m content to roll with him again next season. We can always reassess an extension vs own rental vs a trade at this point next year. I don’t see him falling off a cliff.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Strome is good enough to be a top 2 C on a contending team.
Based on what?
The Rangers cannot afford to pay him big money given the already cumbersome Kreider and Trouba contracts. Ask Jim Benning how it works handing out long term anchor contracts.
No, the Rangers cannot afford to give him big money. But I am not so sure that he would seek every last dollar from the Rangers. His future in NY depends on what he is willing to take and what possible value does another team wish to prescribe to hm.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Had the Rangers given him 5x5 as I had suggested he would both slot in perfectly here or be an easily tradeable asset at this deadline or next before his assumed NTC kicked in.

Hes still a tradeable asset, but the one year commitment beyond this year may have a negative view from acquiring team in a flat capped world.

Chyt Check

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
Sell high. If the offers aren't there, you keep him! He's been a pleasant surprise and I really didn't expect this season out of him especially with Panarin out for a bit.

Reactions: Peltz

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
See what kind of offers you get. If something blows you away, jump on it. If not, keep him another year.

I'm not sold on Chytil being a big-time C. I don't see any high-end puck moving ability from him. Still think he's better as a W.

Imagine if we drafted Jack Drury instead of Lindbom, and then didn't trade for the Schneider pick and chose Brisson and then with the third we gave up chose JL Foudy or Smilanic.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Not trading Strome NOW, unless it’s Brassard for Zibanejad type deal where Gorton obtains a close replacement.

Otherwise if it’s just for picks or not close to the NHL prospects it would basically mean that the Rangers are committing to keeping Zibanejad as 1C long term, forcing Chytil into 2C role now and either running a sub-standard 3C or looking into finding one via a separate trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->