The Case for drafting Jonatan Berggren

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think I still hold the title of “World’s Biggest Barzal Fan” from his draft year. Had Konecny top 10 that year, too. Hated Zacha.

I really like Berggren — maybe not to Magua’s extreme, but close — but Ted, this article may go a bit heavy on the superlatives...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think the entirety of HFBoards Flyers World is on the same with Berggren. If he is there, we want him drafted (barring someone ridiculous falling or trading up to pick up someone).

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The question is how coachable he is, for a guy like this, learning that less is more, and that in the NHL (especially on the 3rd line, which is where he'd be until Voracek is traded or seriously slips), you have to play good defense and back check as hard as you skate up ice, is the key to success.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
I think I still hold the title of “World’s Biggest Barzal Fan” from his draft year. Had Konecny top 10 that year, too. Hated Zacha.

I really like Berggren — maybe not to Magua’s extreme, but close — but Ted, this article may go a bit heavy on the superlatives...

Alright. Noted

TB87

May 30, 2018
If he's that good, he shouldn't fall to 19th OA.

Good players fall in the draft all the time. Many GM's/scouts adhere to positional bias: Centers and Defenseman first, wingers second. Even if a winger is the better player. Team needs come into play big time in the draft. Konecny dropped to the 20's in the 2015 draft. He was probably a top 15 talent in that draft class.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

I'm pretty close to you on that one man. I was shipping Barzal at #9 (of course happy with Provy)

TB87

May 30, 2018

Craig Button's mock for the Flyers in the first round would be abysmal. Pre-draft rankings generally aren't adhered to by NHL team's as a whole. Off the board picks occur all the time. Not saying that Berggren would an off the board pick (because he isn't).

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Craig Button's mock for the Flyers in the first round would be abysmal. Pre-draft rankings generally aren't adhered to by NHL team's as a whole. Off the board picks occur all the time. Not saying that Berggren would an off the board pick (because he isn't).
Whenever a guy is ranked 32 and 38 by extremely reputable and intelligent guys like Craig Button and Bob McKenzie, taking Berggren at 14 wouldn't be off the board, it would be extremely terrible value. I suppose a case could be made for him at 19 although they could probably trade down and acquire more assets and still get him later.

TB87

May 30, 2018
The question is how coachable he is, for a guy like this, learning that less is more, and that in the NHL (especially on the 3rd line, which is where he'd be until Voracek is traded or seriously slips), you have to play good defense and back check as hard as you skate up ice, is the key to success.

True. Haven't read any rumblings about him being uncoachable though. He's a very similar player to Travis Konecny, minus the pest-like tendencies. He's better defensively than TK was at the same age.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

How about Frost just last year? I don't know that he was in anyone's first round rankings, including the big names. Some guys just fly under the radar for whatever reason.

TB87

May 30, 2018
Whenever a guy is ranked 32 and 38 by extremely reputable and intelligent guys like Craig Button and Bob McKenzie, taking Berggren at 14 wouldn't be off the board, it would be extremely terrible value. I suppose a case could be made for him at 19 although they could probably trade down and acquire more assets and still get him later.

Where in my article did I say he should be picked at 14? I actually think 14 would be a reach. It's definitely possible that they could trade down from 19 for more assets and get him later. That's a solid option as well. 14 is too rich though for sure.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Where in my article did I say he should be picked at 14? I actually think 14 would be a reach. It's definitely possible that they could trade down from 19 for more assets and get him later. That's a solid option as well. 14 is too rich though for sure.
Where did I say you said the Flyers should draft him at 14? I apologize if I didn't explain myself more clearly. Others have not only been advocating for Berggren at 14, but clamoring for it. Hence why I used the term "Berggren hype" earlier in the thread. I'm fine with Berggren at 19 depending on who else is the board, and if they moved down a few spots and took him all the better. Taking him at 14 would be ridiculous though and thankfully I know since Hextall's one major strength is the draft he won't do something as stupid as that.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad