Speculation: The Carey Price dliemma.

Cory Kennedy

Mar 24, 2018
Ontario
The Leafs are set to play Game 1 in the first round against Montreal on thursday.

Carey Price was sent to the Laval rockets on loan as a warmup for the playoffs since has been injured for quite a long time.

He played the Leaf's AHL Affiliate the Marlie's and allowed 2 goals on the first 4 shots putting up a .886 save percentage. Being a good AHL Player doesn't translate to being a good NHL Player obviously and the same can be said the other way around for Goalies as the defense is usually not the best.

As a Leafs fan let me know about your thoughts on going up against Carey Price in the Playoffs.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He definitely has the ability to stand on his head and steal a series but at the same time its clear that he's started to really decline.

The fact that he hasnt played a NHL game in a month isnt a good thing and Allen might actually be a better option on thursday.

I think in the athletic article that went over the series, our odds actually improved if Price starts but again he's got the upside to absolutely shut us down.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Price isn't Price of 4/5 years ago but still capable of putting good stretches together last couple years.
The softies have become a ouch more regular this year thou.
He will need to steal 2/3 games if Habs have a chance. Capable...sure....likely...not as much so as a few years back

Give the Leafs a freebie a game and there is no chance

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
dVND44h.jpg

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Price is boom/Bust for Montreal and I can easily see the bust side of things happening. It is very plausible that Price comes back and allows 6 goals in game 1, just due to the fact that he's been off for so long and hasn't had a good season to date.

There's also the boom side for Montreal, where he stands on his head like last season against Pittsburgh.

All in all though, it's very very unlikely that a goaltending duo shuts us out for 3 games and puts up a .970 save percentage...and that alone is a relief.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
"experts" are citing the play in series vs Pitt last year as proof Price can still hack it. That was a shell of a Pens team that had nothing going for them.

For the first time since I don't know when, I have more confidence that Price will let in an early stinker in game 1 than our guy.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Haven’t been concerned playing against Price in years. He is just a guy most nights as his save percentage and gaa support. Most goalies have hot streaks but the moment Price puts together a good game or two it’s always the Carey of old.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Price has not been the brick wall we have known for a few years now. Not saying he can't rebound, but I'm hoping he won't.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I hope the Leaf players are not afraid of CP as some of our fans are. He is coming off a concussion and has not played in how long ?? These guys should be able to light him up if they take it to the Habs.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
If someone could invent a cold laser, that could penetrate 500 percent deeper than the best cold laser, guys like Price, Andersen, Campbell, etc. would be as pliant at 30 as they were at 18.

Well that laser was invented, produced and manufactured.

Problem was, it solved a lot of other more life threatening situations.

Pro athletes went wild over it, goalies particularly, but, like all good deeds, it was punished.

I had three at one point. I called it god in a stick. Still do.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I am one of the people who thinks Price can still stand on his head in the playoffs with the fresh start he's getting, but, if they did beat us, I think it would be there team keeping us to the outside and our core guys not able to make plays with less space you get in the playoffs.

I think they could achieve this by playing lower in the zone by collapsing on our forwards and making the play come from the point, where offensively, we are not much of a scoring threat.

With that said my belief is that we will win the series in 6 or 5 games. If it goes to 7, then its a toss up.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Haven’t been concerned playing against Price in years. He is just a guy most nights as his save percentage and gaa support. Most goalies have hot streaks but the moment Price puts together a good game or two it’s always the Carey of old.

Yeah this.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Price could be first star of the series and the Habs could still lose.

You know it's possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->