The Career Of Randal Keith Orton

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Every time I get back into watching wrestling for a period, this guy is around and in a prominent spot on the roster.

He's not the flashiest in-ring performer or the most charismatic mic worker but has decent enough all-around skills.

Do you consider him one of the wrestling greats or is he just a solid performer with great longevity who happens to have benefited from nepotism and thrived in some somewhat weaker eras?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
One of my most disliked wrestlers ever. The endless pushing of Orton, Cena, and Batista in WWE really did a number on my wrestling fandom. He's a better in-ring performer than the other two, quite easily, but that isn't saying much. Weak promo and the common cliche that he's boring in-ring is true. Can't pull off being a face at all because his natural unlikability is so apparent. There is potentially something to his sarcastic asshole ways that can add something to him as a heel, but much like with Kevin Nash it doesn't make up for his weaknesses elsewhere.

I am amused by Orton's online presence from time to time and his matches with Christian were solid, and that's pretty much the best that I can say about him. His talent and fan reactions never warranted his position in WWE and he was very lucky not to have been fired for his antics years ago. Fans who weren't driven away completely by the Cena era like to talk Orton up as some incredible talent, such a smooth worker, underrated and so on but I don't see it. To me Orton sticking around so long isn't a plus for him but a sign that WWE has gotten beyond stale in the last 15 years as Vince got old and soft with basically no competition.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I liked his early career stuff. I liked him in evolution, i loved the legend killer gimmick. Liked his feud with evolution. The loogie in HHH’s face stuck with me. Liked Rated RKO. Match with mick foley. Feud with Taker. I liked Legacy. Kinda went flat for me after 2010 or so

the Kanye of wrestling for me

I appreciate his consistency tho. I don’t find his work all that compelling these days but I can’t say he’s done much wrong considering he’s held a top Spot for like 17 years now

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I like Orton, but honestly he was only great when he was wrestling Christian.
just was not able to put it all together for a long run and stay motivated.
he should've been an all-time legend, but won't be.

in HF terms, he's an all-the-tools-no-toolbox player.

Reactions: KIRK and Kaner9

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just because he doesn't have the flashiest matches doesn't make him bad or average in the ring. I think Orton is fantastic in the ring, he just wrestles WWE's style to a tee.

His early stuff was definitely better than his post-Legacy stuff, though. Especially his Legend Killer gimmick. The stuff with Evolution and building him up in the group only to have the group turn on him was great. Legacy stuff was phenomenal to me, especially how he went after Triple H and the McMahons.

I don't think I'd consider him one of the all-time greats in the same realm as guys like Austin, Rock, Flair, etc. But he's definitely in that second tier right below them.

Reactions: Auston 316

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
One of my most disliked wrestlers ever. The endless pushing of Orton, Cena, and Batista in WWE really did a number on my wrestling fandom. He's a better in-ring performer than the other two, quite easily, but that isn't saying much. Weak promo and the common cliche that he's boring in-ring is true. Can't pull off being a face at all because his natural unlikability is so apparent. There is potentially something to his sarcastic asshole ways that can add something to him as a heel, but much like with Kevin Nash it doesn't make up for his weaknesses elsewhere.

I am amused by Orton's online presence from time to time and his matches with Christian were solid, and that's pretty much the best that I can say about him. His talent and fan reactions never warranted his position in WWE and he was very lucky not to have been fired for his antics years ago. Fans who weren't driven away completely by the Cena era like to talk Orton up as some incredible talent, such a smooth worker, underrated and so on but I don't see it. To me Orton sticking around so long isn't a plus for him but a sign that WWE has gotten beyond stale in the last 15 years as Vince got old and soft with basically no competition.
I don't think I could have said it better myself, or add anything.

Reactions: sabremike and iamjs

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's 17 (18) years into his WWE career, and despite that length of time, and the multiple title reigns, Randy Orton has NEVER been over.

He's basically another Jeff Jarrett, a solid worker who because of his look and family connections got a push to the main event scene they really didn't deserve because ultimately the fans never really cared for either of them as faces or as heels.

Sad part is he's not the only one. The Miz is another example of a long-term main event pushed guy who has basically never been over.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's a great heel and a terrible face.

Unfortunately, he's SO good at being a heel, that every time he does it, people start cheering for him. And then WWE turns him into a bland face, cause they can't do a Stone Cold style face anymore in the PG era. So they he's boring, people stop caring.... and then the cycle repeats.

In a better era, with better writers, he could be one of the GOATs.

My favorite Randy Orton is probably the 2009, slow-walking, head-punting, psychotic, violent Randy Orton, who would react to hurting people with spasms like a heroin addict getting a heavy hit. Borderline orgasmic. In a darker, less-PG era, they would have run further with that, instead of doubling down on the 'snakey' pre-RKO mannerisms.

That said, IDGAF Randy who is happy to get into it with fans ringside and on twitter is pretty good too:

Also, for all the talk of how he's undeservedly pushed, he's been a victim of truly horrid booking every time he's gotten over organically.

In 2004, as the Legend Killer, he gets over, gets the title put on him, then gets turned face in a horrible angle with Evolution, only to lose every match against HHH exact a Survivor Series match.

In 2009, as the psychotic Orton, he gets over huge and picks off Evolution and the Mcmahon family one by one on the way to Wrestlemania. Then not only is he booked to lose a match he should have won, but a match that should have been a no-holds-barred war is booked as a 'if the champ gets DQed he loses' timid wrestling affair.

There are more examples. The truth is, yes, Orton got a lot of opportunities it wouldn't have otherwise if not for name, look, natural talent, etc. But there are a lot of cases where he used all those things to great effect and was rewarded with idiocy.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He's 17 (18) years into his WWE career, and despite that length of time, and the multiple title reigns, Randy Orton has NEVER been over.

He's basically another Jeff Jarrett, a solid worker who because of his look and family connections got a push to the main event scene they really didn't deserve because ultimately the fans never really cared for either of them as faces or as heels.

Sad part is he's not the only one. The Miz is another example of a long-term main event pushed guy who has basically never been over.

It's not a bad parallel, though Jarrett got a big boost from his father being a promoter. As much as I dislike Orton I don't think that Cowboy Bob's name is all that relevant outside of getting Randy's foot in the door in the first place. That said, I still prefer Jarrett to Orton very easily. Miz too honestly, though I recognize his weaknesses. Vince just sees something, look presumably, that he likes in Orton and you either live with it or stop watching. Someone getting Orton's reactions and giving his performances in Vince's prime woul have been shipped out after a few years.

Reactions: BruinDust

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not a bad parallel, though Jarrett got a big boost from his father being a promoter. As much as I dislike Orton I don't think that Cowboy Bob's name is all that relevant outside of getting Randy's foot in the door in the first place. That said, I still prefer Jarrett to Orton very easily. Miz too honestly, though I recognize his weaknesses. Vince just sees something, look presumably, that he likes in Orton and you either live with it or stop watching. Someone getting Orton's reactions and giving his performances in Vince's prime woul have been shipped out after a few years.
Miz to Orton?

There are probably 1000 wrestlers I prefer to the Miz.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Miz to Orton?

There are probably 1000 wrestlers I prefer to the Miz.

For me yes. Miz is not good in ring but he's gone through periods where I've enjoyed him. He can be a solid mid-card heel while I've never enjoyed Orton in any role. I recognize that Orton is the superior in ring wrestler.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
On a grading scale he was a B- talent who has been booked and used at about an F+ since the Legend Killer gimmick ended. I can reasonably say the last time I was entertained by Orton was when he burned down the Wyatt compound and that his strengths are better utilized in a product that isn't so goddamn boring and milquetoast.

Reactions: Kaner9

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Sometimes I like Orton but sometimes I dont. I never really care if hes there. Like if Orton never entered the wrestling ring I dont think it would make a difference in my enjoyment. Hes just a guy whos always there. Online Randy is fun though :nod:

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
He's okay. I sometimes find him to be a bit boring, but he has decent enough skills (both on the mic and in the ring) that I wouldn't say his two decade long push in the upper card was unwarranted.

Reactions: Kaner9

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
At 6’5, 250 pounds he has that size that Vince loves. He is able to move fast enough that he is not a slow and lumbering big man. He plays a natural heel. He has a great physique. The tattoos make him looo like a bad guy. Mix all that together and it is not a surprise that he has been to on the upper card for as long as he has.

My problem is that I find him unmotivated often. Not saying that he doesn’t try his best but sometimes he just mails it it and puts in an OK performance. I liked his match he just had with The Fiend. I give Randy full credit for having a match like that that far into his career. Sure the match was pre taped but when dealing with that much fire their is always the chance of something bad to happen.

Lastly the reason why he is always in the title picture is because of his finish. To me the very best finishing moves are the ones that can be hit with little to no set up. He has pulled the RKO off many times and it has been highlight reel material.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I like Orton, but honestly he was only great when he was wrestling Christian.
just was not able to put it all together for a long run and stay motivated.
he should've been an all-time legend, but won't be.

in HF terms, he's an all-the-tools-no-toolbox player.

I wouldn't call him "No-Toolbox". He could be as big as he wants. He's just of the mentality that he's gonna do what needs to be done to get paid and get paid for a long time.

The only thing I've never really seen Randy as being good at is being a white-meat babyface.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Orton is a prime example of a wrestler today who would've been better off in the 80s and 90s when there were more opposiing legitimate promotions to go to. A wrestler could always stay fresh by going somewhere new every year or two. But now, if you're in the same promotion for 15 years, things get stale and fans will get sick of you no matter how good you are in the ring.

I'd rate his in-ring work as an A-minus. Not an all-time great, but one of WWE's more consistent better workers of the last 20 years. As far as charisma/mic skills go, he's great as a heel but awkward and uncomfortable as a babyface.

I don't think nepotism or his family name had much to do with his success. Cowboy Bob was an excellent underrated worker, but he wasn't a main eventer and not a big enough name to have much influence in Randy's early push.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I agree with the Jeff Jarrett comparisons. But Jarrett is a poor man's Orton. Orton is solid but he is nowhere near the level that kayfabe WWE portrays him to be. He's just been solid for a very long time, but nothing special. He doesn't go down as one of the all-time greats.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think he's great. He sucks as a face, but his heel work is terrific.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
On top of his bad attitude and backstage antics, he's the worst thing a wrestler can be: boring.

I would rather watch paint dry than a Randy Orton match. At least the paint won't try to put the wall in numerous headlock rest spots.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
RKBro is one of the best things going in WWE right now.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Never cared for him but I'd been a few years removed from my lifelong fandom when he came around. I used to check in once in a while and any time I saw him I never cared much, though his stuff w/Evolution was pretty good. Probably not due to his own merit, but he did his part well. Not familiar w/much beyond that. Surprising to hear he's still around, but good for him.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
He just looks the part IMO. Nothing he does is bad, nothing is spectacular. He's just consistently ok and every now and again he ratchets up the intensity in his character and puts on a great show. The fact that he really hasn't changed at all or lost even half a step over the duration of his career is impressive though.

Comparisons to the Miz are a little strange. I preferred the Miz when he peaked (US and WWE Champion, main eventing v Cena) over peak Orton, but over the course of a full career it's Orton by a landslide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->