The Captain is BACK!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
His list was fine.

Roughly half of the players were outright better than Jones, and the other half while not outright better as far as raw talent were certainly better value impact-for-cap hit.

The only three on his list that I disagreed with were Doughty, Burns and one other I can't remember, cause their recent performance has been roughly as bad and their cap hit is higher for almost as long. So no real argument for Doughty or Burns over Jones at this stage. Of course, Doughty is only 31 and has all the raw tools that Jones does (plus a higher IQ IMO), so there's almost as good a chance he bounces back to his elite level as Jones managing to reach the elite level.

Jones is certainly a top pairing Dman in the NHL. He's just not an elite #1D right now, and honestly has only shown brief flashes of reaching that level. If he puts it together in Chicago, great. If he doesn't, well, we're ****ed, cause we're paying him the cap hit of an elite #1 Dman.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
He said he's "not skating regularly". Which is true. Seeing him at Lolla and at a teammate's wedding does not = skating regularly.

You really don't seem to understand how intertwined the Chicago-based men's leagues are with the Hawks organization. They're leagues based out of the Hawks former and current practice rinks. Current and former Hawks players will sit down and have beers with the men's league teams and BS with us. There are a ton of people playing in those men's leagues that are directly tied to the Hawks. Player agents, trainers, relatives of FO members, etc.
you have to be kidding me.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Name 31 better D players in the league.

I'll wait.

Off the top of my head here are guys clearly better

Miro Heiskanen
Esa Lindell
Adam Fox
Ivan Provorov
Victor Hedman
Alex Pietrangelo
Cale Makar
Dougie Hamilton
Charlie McAvoy
Aaron Ekblad
Shea Theodore
Jakob Chyrhrun
Quinn Hughes
John Carlson
Jacob Slavin
Brett Pesce
Adam Pelech
Ryan Pullock
MacKenzie Weegar
Devon Toews
Samuel Girard
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Kris Letang
Morgan Reilly
Hampus Lindholm
Mikhail Sergachev

Then you end up with 12-15 guys who are on level

Then I got a couple like Thomas Chabot who I think is great young player trapped on god awful team

Is Jones a top 5 Dman in NHL? Because he is paid like one after next season and we paid the price thru trade for him as if he was an "Elite" talent at position

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

Miro Heiskanen
Esa Lindell
Adam Fox
Ivan Provorov
Victor Hedman
Alex Pietrangelo
Cale Makar
Dougie Hamilton
Charlie McAvoy
Aaron Ekblad
Shea Theodore
Jakob Chyrhrun
Quinn Hughes
John Carlson
Jacob Slavin
Brett Pesce
Adam Pelech
Ryan Pullock
MacKenzie Weegar
Devon Toews
Samuel Girard
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Kris Letang
Morgan Reilly
Hampus Lindholm
Mikhail Sergachev

Then I got a couple like Thomas Chabot who I think is great young player trapped on god awful team

Is Jones a top 5 Dman in NHL? Because he is paid like one after next season and we paid the price thru trade for him as if he was an "Elite" talent at position

defenseman definitely no doubt better then jones next year.

Hedman
Makar

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
defenseman definitely no doubt better then jones next year.

Hedman
Makar

There are no certainties in hockey, but the list is most likely longer than that for next year alone.

Victor Hedman
Cale Makar
Adam Fox
Dougie Hamilton
Shea Theodore
Jacob Slavin
Miro Heiskanen
Charlie McAvoy
Alex Pietrangelo
Colton Parayko
Aaron Ekblad
John Carlson
Morgan Reilly
Josh Morrissey
Roman Josi
Ryan Ellis
Devon Toews
Jake Muzzin

...I'm almost certainly missing some. There are guys like Chabot and Quinn Hughes that had rough seasons last year, but lapped Jones the year before. If they bounce back, add them to the list.

I don't necessarily love all those contracts either, but for one year? Jones has a lot of names to leap to be a good bet for the odds-on 3rd best dman in the league next season.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
There are no certainties in hockey, but the list is most likely longer than that for next year alone.

Victor Hedman
Cale Makar
Adam Fox
Dougie Hamilton
Shea Theodore
Jacob Slavin
Miro Heiskanen
Charlie McAvoy
Alex Pietrangelo
Colton Parayko
Aaron Ekblad
John Carlson
Morgan Reilly
Josh Morrissey
Roman Josi
Ryan Ellis
Devon Toews
Jake Muzzin

...I'm almost certainly missing some. There are guys like Chabot and Quinn Hughes that had rough seasons last year, but lapped Jones the year before. If they bounce back, add them to the list.

I don't necessarily love all those contracts either, but for one year? Jones has a lot of names to leap to be a good bet for the odds-on 3rd best dman in the league next season.

thats not what i said tho

i agree that some of these players could be better next year.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
we will see what these guys get next year and then judge how the contract is. Id say Jones should get paid as much or more then all these guys. MCavoy will be interesting as hes an RFA.

Nurse
Lindholm
MCavoy
Pullock
Reilly

Njfj

Feb 14, 2015
I had to double check that I opened the right thread reading only the last page

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
you have to be kidding me.
Lol what? What does that even mean? Everything in that post is factual information. What do I "have to be kidding you." about? Go spend some time at Fifth Third. I've sat and had a beer before a game and had Stan walk right past me. My brother has sat and had beers with Burish and Mayers multiple times after games. There are all kinds of people involved in the Hawks organization playing on men's league teams out of both Fifth Third, and Johnny's. And even more people involved in the organization passing in and out throughout the day, including players...

And before Fifth Third, it was all the same at Johnny's. And generally still is. Most guys that play up in the city play on teams out of both still.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Miro Heiskanen
Esa Lindell
Adam Fox
Ivan Provorov
Victor Hedman
Alex Pietrangelo
Cale Makar
Dougie Hamilton
Charlie McAvoy
Aaron Ekblad
Shea Theodore
Jakob Chyrhrun
Quinn Hughes
John Carlson
Jacob Slavin
Brett Pesce
Adam Pelech
Ryan Pullock
MacKenzie Weegar
Devon Toews
Samuel Girard
Roman Josi
Mattias Ekholm
Kris Letang
Morgan Reilly
Hampus Lindholm
Mikhail Sergachev

Quinn Hughes is definitely nowhere close to Seth Jones.

Quinn Hughes=Tyson Barrie

Definitely great offensively but a disaster in his own zone.

Reactions: WizzyWezz

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I bet you that the die hard Stan fans would have laughed at me or anyone if they would have proposed that exact same trade before it actually happened, but since Stan made the trade then it’s all good.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I bet you that the die hard Stan fans would have laughed at me or anyone if they would have proposed that exact same trade before it actually happened, but since Stan made the trade then it’s all good.
Name all of the die hard Stan fans here.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Provided none of them have you on ignore, I await their response to supposedly being staunch Stan fans.
There is nothing to wait for, they rarely if ever call any of Stan’s moves very bad or call him out, BK just recently said “he is ok if Stan is gone” but never any of them firmly hate a trade. A response is not necessary and I bet they will deny being die hard Stan fans, just look at the track record, CH10 has his account on private so you can’t even search his history, who on earth does that… lol

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ah this stupid narrative again. Blackhawks's proof? My avatar and the fact that I don't cry like a child while calling Bowman a simp (such a moronic insult).

FYI - I said over a year ago I am fine with Bowman being fired.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Ah this stupid narrative again. Blackhawks's proof? My avatar and the fact that I don't cry like a child while calling Bowman a simp (such a moronic insult).

FYI - I said over a year ago I am fine with Bowman being fired.
I think there are two camps in the Hawks fanbase with regard to Bowman. Those that are adamant he should be fired immediately and those that are indifferent. I'm still in the latter category, though I disagree with his moves sometimes I can see the logic usually. With the Jones move, not so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->