The Captain is BACK!

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Hopefully not a setback:

Toews still without timetable to return to Blackhawks, GM says

Jonathan Toews doesn't have a timetable to return to the Chicago Blackhawks, but general manager Stan Bowman is optimistic the center will play at some point this season.
"Same answer I gave the other day, which is, we're all hopeful that he continues on his path and training and feeling better. Nothing's derailed that," Bowman said Monday. "But with what he's gone through, we don't know where it's going to be. So here we are today, things are looking good, and that's our thought moving forward."

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
concerning that Stan states that he will play at some point in the season...

sure hope JT is ready to go after camp...

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
He’ll play around the trade-deadline at earliest if I had to guess
wow

to be fair I have no idea how to judge this nor likely does anyone not connected with Toews and/or his medical team, the condition that they noted is so rare and vague...

I would be shocked if he did NOT play by the trade deadline.

To me when he made his first statement about his struggles not so long ago I figured he would be back much sooner than the trade deadline...

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
From the most recent Powers & Lazerus article, a few words from Fleury:

Blackhawks takeaways: From Marc-Andre Fleury to Dylan Strome to Brandon Hagel, where does everybody stand?
“Kane’s one of the guys who gave me the most trouble in shootouts during my career,” he said. “Looking forward to getting to practice with him every day and having some good battles with him. I think Toews looks pretty good and hopefully he goes again and another guy I got to know over the years. I think it’ll be fun. They’ve been around a long time, had a lot of success, hopefully I can just do my part to help the team win some games.”

More positive signs.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
has this been released?
Apparently he made an appearance at Cat's wedding and joined a few players at Lalapalooza. Reports from Locked On Hawks mentioned he's been on the ice with players as well. The capacity at which he was on the ice was never explained.

Regardless, it's far better news than hearing a definitive setback.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
All I know is we covered our butts a bit incase Toews isn't ready to go out the gate. Johnson most definitely can play 2C, we know Dach is there as well in the top 2. Borgstrom becomes that wild card potential even more so and Carps seems pretty locked in to 4th line..Gaudette can also play C, but likely better suited for wing..same for Kurashev.

Not going to pretend to know anything about Toews illness and what he plans, but I would be pretty shocked if he isn't at camp - whether he breaks with the team from there is anyone's guess, but plenty of positive signs pointing the way we want it to for right now.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Apparently he made an appearance at Cat's wedding and joined a few players at Lalapalooza. Reports from Locked On Hawks mentioned he's been on the ice with players as well. The capacity at which he was on the ice was never explained.

Regardless, it's far better news than hearing a definitive setback.
great. i should have assumed pez was making stuff up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
great. i should have assumed pez was making stuff up.

He said he's "not skating regularly". Which is true. Seeing him at Lolla and at a teammate's wedding does not = skating regularly.

You really don't seem to understand how intertwined the Chicago-based men's leagues are with the Hawks organization. They're leagues based out of the Hawks former and current practice rinks. Current and former Hawks players will sit down and have beers with the men's league teams and BS with us. There are a ton of people playing in those men's leagues that are directly tied to the Hawks. Player agents, trainers, relatives of FO members, etc.

Last edited:

Crow

May 19, 2014
He said he's "not skating regularly". Which is true. Seeing him at Lolla and at a teammate's wedding does not = skating regularly.

You really don't seem to understand how intertwined the Chicago-based men's leagues are with the Hawks organization. They're leagues based out of the Hawks former and current practice rinks. Current and former Hawks players will sit down and have beers with the men's league teams and BS with us. There are a ton of people playing in those men's leagues that are directly tied to the Hawks. Player agents, trainers, relatives of FO members, etc.
Didn’t some of this insider information say he is never playing again according to a poster here last year or am I not remembering correctly?

Reactions: ChiHawk21

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Didn’t some of this insider information say he is never playing again according to a poster here last year or am I not remembering correctly?

No. I do believe the conclusion drawn from that info was that he was never going to play again, but that was just an opinion based upon the info, from what I recall.

I mean... we still have no idea if he'll ever play again. Skating with a couple teammates in the summer, and shooting around is far different from full-contact practices and NHL games.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

It's my opinion, based on what I have been told. I'd love to be wrong and see him playing for the Hawks in the fall. I still don't think that happens. I think this might play out like Seabrook's situation. He makes an effort to come back, but just can't. Again, I really hope I'm wrong. Bowman's statements aren't exactly encouraging.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If that is case then it makes the Hawks offseason moves something that cant be defended

This team is not going anywhere without a healthy Toews

Also if Toews is ? Then acquiring a C should have been priority of team not trading future away for a struggling defender in Jones and giving him an 8 year deal with $9.5M hit

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
If that is case then it makes the Hawks offseason moves something that cant be defended

This team is not going anywhere without a healthy Toews

Also if Toews is ? Then acquiring a C should have been priority of team not trading future away for a struggling defender in Jones and giving him an 8 year deal with $9.5M hit
Hawks knew they didn't have anybody who could handle 1D responsibilities next year and beyond. They were uncertain about the Toews health situation. You plug the hole that you have before worrying about the hole that may or may not appear.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks knew they didn't have anybody who could handle 1D responsibilities next year. They were uncertain about the Toews health situation. You plug the hole that you have before worrying about the hole that may or may not appear.

Jones play of recently is not that of a player who can handle those responsibilities either

Jones performance is an uncertainty in itself thus why cost to acquire him and contract he was given are major issue and potential disaster

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Jones play of recently is not that of a player who can handle those responsibilities either

Jones performance is an uncertainty in itself thus why cost to acquire him and contract he was given are major issue and potential disaster
Fine. Show me the top 9 center you would have acquired and then show me who would be taking the 1D responsibilities after acquiring that center.

Reactions: Pertti

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL

Name 31 better D players in the league.

I'll wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad