The Caps need to be less stubborn and mix up the PP more

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps statistically have one of the best PP's in the NHL once again.

However, Carlson doesn't seem to be doing well on the point. Ovi is on pace to be well below his average PP goals this year. In fact, it's on pace for less than half of what he usually gets.

Trotz has still put out the main guys on the PP pretty much all year.

The issue I have with this is that being so stubborn just b/c the overall percent is strong isn't helping any adjustment. It's just sticking to something. If the Caps had even a average PP the last few years, they'd arguably be in the ECF or Cup finals by now. However, when things weren't working they couldn't mix it up b/c they had zero chemistry with any other PP lines.

In the playoffs you can't continue to be stubborn and know the averages will eventually play themselves out. In the playoffs sometimes you need to adjust QUICKLY when things aren't working out.

This is why I'd like to see more Orlov on the point on the PP. More Kuzy, Backstrom, Orlov, Ovi, and Oshie on 1 PP unit, etc. Just mix it up a bit to develop some type of multiple line PP chemistry.

Sure, Carlson, Ovi, Backstrom, MoJo, etc historically and even this year are proving to have a strong overall percent. However, that is sticking with something and relying on something completely. It'd be nice to see the Caps mix things up more so when the playoffs come Trotz has different options if something isn't working.

We've seein the regular season Trotz has no problem mixing up lines, etc... We should start seeing more of this on the PP IMO.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Caps statistically have one of the best PP's in the NHL once again.

However, Carlson doesn't seem to be doing well on the point. Ovi is on pace to be well below his average PP goals this year. In fact, it's on pace for less than half of what he usually gets.

Trotz has still put out the main guys on the PP pretty much all year.

The issue I have with this is that being so stubborn just b/c the overall percent is strong isn't helping any adjustment. It's just sticking to something. If the Caps had even a average PP the last few years, they'd arguably be in the ECF or Cup finals by now. However, when things weren't working they couldn't mix it up b/c they had zero chemistry with any other PP lines.

In the playoffs you can't continue to be stubborn and know the averages will eventually play themselves out. In the playoffs sometimes you need to adjust QUICKLY when things aren't working out.

This is why I'd like to see more Orlov on the point on the PP. More Kuzy, Backstrom, Orlov, Ovi, and Oshie on 1 PP unit, etc. Just mix it up a bit to develop some type of multiple line PP chemistry.

Sure, Carlson, Ovi, Backstrom, MoJo, etc historically and even this year are proving to have a strong overall percent. However, that is sticking with something and relying on something completely. It'd be nice to see the Caps mix things up more so when the playoffs come Trotz has different options if something isn't working.

We've seein the regular season Trotz has no problem mixing up lines, etc... We should start seeing more of this on the PP IMO.

ill be that guy, why change it if it works. second, trotz has changed up the powerplay by adding the new secret weapon jason chimera into the mix. lastly, the powerplay is a pass to ovechkin one, just like it was for tampa run to finals where it was the exact same powerplay except it was pass to stamkos for one timer

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Trotz is clearly adjusting this year. I like the early returns in trying to make our PP more dynamic. Which, was beyond easy as we had to have had the most static PP in the league.

That was easily defended come playoff time. Really, that is what we are playing for, yes today.

I cannot believe Carlson lost the ability to throw a simple pass. He did it last year on PP1 and the year before as well. If there is a true problem you know Trotz knows. He has Nisky ready to help out. And even the wrong handed Orlov in preseason showed he can be up top and get things done.

I would like to see Kuz and others rotated into PP1 at times, just in case we need them there come April.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I'll be honest. The fact that we still have one of the best PPs and its not just Ovie on the one timer makes me happy. Our issue in the playoffs has been less PPs and when we got them, it got shut down. Not only are we better 5v5 this year, but our good PP is more diverse and we are getting more production around the board. Should be much better come playoffs

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I'll be honest. The fact that we still have one of the best PPs and its not just Ovie on the one timer makes me happy. Our issue in the playoffs has been less PPs and when we got them, it got shut down. Not only are we better 5v5 this year, but our good PP is more diverse and we are getting more production around the board. Should be much better come playoffs

Totally agree. But as those other options pay dividends, they do also need to be able to capitalize on PKers confusion about who to cover and get Ovie a good one-time pass.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We need to mix it up, the one timer doesn't work in the playoffs. We have many weapons, we should be able to confuse the hell out of the PKers by moving around and cycling the puck.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ovechkin should just shoot into the shot blocker since game 1 every series, they will run out of shot blockers by game 3.

I trust in Trotz adjusting. The PP is at pretty good 25.7% right now, 2nd in the league, so it's kinda working. Of course, I'm a bit worried that a skilled D-man like Carlson struggles in making a relatively simple play. I also think that Ovechkin moving to a QB role occasionally (even on the LD position) is the nightmare for the PK, as his cannon passes are so hard to intercept.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We need to mix it up, the one timer doesn't work in the playoffs. We have many weapons, we should be able to confuse the hell out of the PKers by moving around and cycling the puck.

Right it wasn't effective by itself. The point is it can work as part of a set of weapons so we can't abandon it entirely in favor of others.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Last night Ov and Carlson switched places with Ov sliding to the center point area. both the top guys followed Ov and Carlson had the entire left wing circle to himself. He got the puck and got a good chance.

A couple games ago Ov switched with Oshie and slide down low and Oshie slipped into Ov's shooting hole. Again everyone watched 8 and 77 had half the zone to himself.

Two points.
a. the caps are adjusting. their pp % without Ov goals should be enough of a sign but apparently not.

b. the pk this season is all about Ov which is highlighted by the two examples above. Ov is not going to score a lot of PPG's this season.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Last night Ov and Carlson switched places with Ov sliding to the center point area. both the top guys followed Ov and Carlson had the entire left wing circle to himself. He got the puck and got a good chance.

A couple games ago Ov switched with Oshie and slide down low and Oshie slipped into Ov's shooting hole. Again everyone watched 8 and 77 had half the zone to himself.

Two points.
a. the caps are adjusting. their pp % without Ov goals should be enough of a sign but apparently not.

b. the pk this season is all about Ov which is highlighted by the two examples above. Ov is not going to score a lot of PPG's this season.

74 scored on a similar play to the one you describe maybe 4 games ago. Was a beauty.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Two points.

I wonder what would happen if Ovi started skating in circles in the offensive zone on the PP. Would his man just follow him around? That would create havoc in the zone, allowing one of Oshie or Carlson to score.

Here is a compilation of Ovi's one-timer.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Tonight's PPG is a good example of what I want the player on the half board to do. Fake a pass across to #8 by looking at him and snipe it short side. Backstrom and Kuznetsov have pretty accurate wrist shots, they should use it more often.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
green was better but Carlson is not bad. this is more about the pk gaming OV than Carlson

I used to think that but there have been too many times this year where Ovi had difficulty fielding Carlson's passes. Something is off there.

Apr 6, 2004
Tonight's PPG is a good example of what I want the player on the half board to do. Fake a pass across to #8 by looking at him and snipe it short side. Backstrom and Kuznetsov have pretty accurate wrist shots, they should use it more often.

Agreed, and by default, teams will compensate hopefully allowing #8 to get more opportunities.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Agreed, and by default, teams will compensate hopefully allowing #8 to get more opportunities.

We were right, Ovi scored yesterday because Backstrom and Johansson were scrambling for the puck on the right side of the ice, leaving #8 wide open to tap it in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that spin and stuff by Johansson is a regular play for that group. Its not new. this is just the first time they have scored one with it.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
that spin and stuff by Johansson is a regular play for that group. Its not new. this is just the first time they have scored one with it.

Yep. That was Laich's old spot back when Oates was coach and he tried that same move a lot. He rarely if ever scored on it.

Did I hear correctly last night that the caps have the #2 PP? They seem a lot worse than that.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

Two points.

I'd love to see them work Orlov into that place on the Power Play. His one-timer is better than Carlson, and the switch with OV would leave open a very enticing option.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
We had a cool new wrinkle that they seem to have abandoned in the last month or so, the one where Ovechkin just kind of leaves the zone and rotates out to neutral by himself, and then suddenly comes bombing in down the right point with speed and scares the christ out of everybody, and either gets the puck or sucks the PK so deep into the zone that Niskanen has like a year to shoot.

That was a good wrinkle.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
I think stubborn is the wrong word...

If something is working and successful (which it'd be hard to say that the Caps PP is NOT successful) it's not stubborn to keep doing it in a particular way.

If the Caps were sitting at the bottom of the league in PP% and we are still using a particular strategy that would be stubborn.

What percentage do you think the Capitals should shoot for on the PP? 25% is pretty dang good.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think stubborn is the wrong word...

If something is working and successful (which it'd be hard to say that the Caps PP is NOT successful) it's not stubborn to keep doing it in a particular way.

If the Caps were sitting at the bottom of the league in PP% and we are still using a particular strategy that would be stubborn.

What percentage do you think the Capitals should shoot for on the PP? 25% is pretty dang good.

I think the thread is mostly to talk about Ovi's PPG totals trending down from last year.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I'd be interested in Nisky at the point. IMO, better passing skills and not much if anything lost in the shot department from Carlson.

Who else is down low on PP2? Wouldn't mind Carlson's shot with Chimera and Williams down low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad