The Caps D-squads from different eras

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Gonchar's career is essentially done at this point, and much of his success came after Washington. Green's is likely halfway done or less. Still plenty of time for him to have a better career.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Gonchar's career is essentially done at this point, and much of his success came after Washington. Green's is likely halfway done or less. Still plenty of time for him to have a better career.

Gonchar is the 16th leading defenseman all time in scoring....5 time AS, twice 2nd team AS

While 52 was twice a 1st team AS thats been what, half a decade ago. He would seriously have to shake off the last 4 years of inconsistent and often injured play and regain his old form and production, or close to it.

You see that happening?

EDIT:

much of his success? maybe team success (which is what matters for sure) but individual success??? His best years were in DC. Hell he had a 5 season stretch where he averaged 20 goals per season

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Caps Bottom Pair to open 1982?

Scott Stevens / Randy Holt

That has to rival or was our toughest pairing ever. The closest I can see would be Tinordi / Rouse.

Stevens a rookie was learning watching Langway and Engblom. And dare I think, Holt. I think Holt led the league that year in PIMs.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
well what about Iafrate's legendary slapper? Was it really special or was it just ASG competition hype? Stats don't tell too much. Also how good shooters Hatcher and Calle were?

It was feared back in those days. Hardest slapshot not as much in this day in age with dmen only rarely getting the time for a full windup/skate into a shot with the team defenses these days.

Hatcher just solid all around with passing/shooting. My gripe was that for his size it wasn't all that physical. From my recollections Cote always seemed like there was more upside to what he was capable of compared to what he actually achieved. That one crazy year of all the D goal scoring was pretty crazy.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000491993.html

Iafrate that year had 25 goals, 41 assists, and 169 PMs.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps Bottom Pair to open 1982?

Scott Stevens / Randy Holt

That has to rival or was our toughest pairing ever. The closest I can see would be Tinordi / Rouse.

Stevens a rookie was learning watching Langway and Engblom. And dare I think, Holt. I think Holt led the league that year in PIMs.

in caps first playoffs they used basically 3 d. langway engblom and...stevens? who were the other three?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
in caps first playoffs they used basically 3 d. langway engblom and...stevens? who were the other three?

I cannot remember. All I remember was Gaetan shadowing and outscoring Mike Bossy.... I hope I have my years right.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Stevens/Langway
Hatcher/Sheehy
Rouse/Johansson

are the crew I feel were best and could translate to any era

52's peak higher than 55's but 55 having the much better career

no mention of Cote? werent he, Hatcher, and Iafrate the only D corp to have three 20 goal guys?

Yes. That year (92-93) we also had Calle who scored 10 goals too. The problem with that year is that we lost Dino for Kevin Miller and other teams started the intimidation game on guys like Khristich who really didn't care for that.

I agree with your assessment. That was our best D corp we ever had. Rouse and Stevens were animals and Kevin Hatcher was mean as crap then. Sheehy was known by Edmonton fans as the Butcher with how he handled Gretzky in his Calgary days. The guy couldn't win a fight but he was mean.

It was feared back in those days. Hardest slapshot not as much in this day in age with dmen only rarely getting the time for a full windup/skate into a shot with the team defenses these days.

Hatcher just solid all around with passing/shooting. My gripe was that for his size it wasn't all that physical. From my recollections Cote always seemed like there was more upside to what he was capable of compared to what he actually achieved. That one crazy year of all the D goal scoring was pretty crazy.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000491993.html

Iafrate that year had 25 goals, 41 assists, and 169 PMs.

RE: Hatcher - Very true for Hatcher after a while. At first however (up until Stevens left I'd say) he was an animal. Excellent fighter and would crush fools along the boards. He was VERY physical until he focused more on his offensive game.

Cote was awesome. Highly underrated. 100% motor player, would finish checks, skate, pass, shoot and play in all situations. Him and Iafrate were a great pairing.

When he was drafted and his days in Hartford he was known as a one dimensional offensive dman who really didn't even produce like the 1st round draft pick the Whalers thought.

When he came here tho it was a different story. We had a better team and he had much more to work with. His D improved greatly. He had 3 successive career years with the Caps and was a combined +65 in those years (bad stat I know but still). I loved this guy and man was he a powerful skater!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad