Post-Game Talk: The Capitals are playing the Kings in LA this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Ovechkin is hot and will be playing on two days rest in Toronto. I like our chances.

I certainly like Ovie's chances. He has 67 points in 47 games v TO. I couldn't find his totals playing in TO but he seems to relish performing in that city. Holtby will also be rested which isn't always good but the next game will be a measurement match of sorts.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Was traveling yesterday, so I just watched the highlights now. Especially impressed by new wrinkles I saw from 74 setting up 8 on PP. First the quick series of passes back and forth between him and 8, which seemed to throw Campbell off, and then on Ovie's 2nd goal, an unusually pronounced fake by 74 toward the Backstrom/Kuz side before sliding puck left to 8. I mean fundamentally, yes, it's just 2 more OviSpot goals, but 74 seemed especially dialed in on those two set-ups.

Beating both sharks & kings was welcome result for Pacific portion off the swing. As bad as the Kings are, the Capitals just never seem to win out here. Finally coming out on top was sweet.

Of course it's the first time in about 10 years that I myself couldn't attend game, due to my kids having hockey tournaments out of town. Still, I'll take it. Especially with Ovie potting two and restoring cushion between him and Skinner.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Was traveling yesterday, so I just watched the highlights now. Especially impressed by new wrinkles I saw from 74 setting up 8 on PP. First the quick series of passes back and forth between him and 8, which seemed to throw Campbell off, and then on Ovie's 2nd goal, an unusually pronounced fake by 74 toward the Backstrom/Kuz side before sliding puck left to 8. I mean fundamentally, yes, it's just 2 more OviSpot goals, but 74 seemed especially dialed in on those two set-ups.

Beating both sharks & kings was welcome result for Pacific portion off the swing. As bad as the Kings are, the Capitals just never seem to win out here. Finally coming out on top was sweet.

Of course it's the first time in about 10 years that I myself couldn't attend game, due to my kids having hockey tournaments out of town. Still, I'll take it. Especially with Ovie potting two and restoring cushion between him and Skinner.

Agreed, despite a worse PP overall I feel like Carlson himself has been stronger this season than in past seasons on the point. He doesn't really miss Ovie's wheelhouse much any more and I feel like he's a bit more selective (in a good way) with his shot selection. Also the extra little deception in getting the passes to Ovechkin last night certainly didn't go unnoticed by me.

Of course the PP is worse but I mainly attribute that to poorer zone entries in general and Carlson for the most part isn't asked to carry the puck into the zone. I'd be interested in seeing some sort of quantitative breakdown of how poorly the Capitals enter the zone on the PP compared to other teams. I bet they are near the bottom at zone entries, while their efficiency once set up in the zone is near the top.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Those types of things were an underappreciated aspect of Mike Green's game IMO. The head fakes and no look passes afforded Ovie just a little edge that can be a difference maker.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad