The Cap world - most likely expansion destinations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Now that the NHL has imposed their cap system and achieved cost certainty, it's clear that many markets would be interested in an NHL franchise. Which market do you see as being the most probable location for a new club?

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
I would have put two teams for the next five years: Kansas City and Winnipeg. Both have previous history with hockey, and the NHL has had much better luck with second chances (great example: Colorado, Minnesota). Could these two be the next NHL cities in 2010?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rule out Atlanta and Toronto for a start. Atlanta will never have another NHL franchise, and needs to stabalise its current franchise. Toronto has the size, but no fan will switch teams. Winnipeg failed once, and the only reason people want it back is because of sentimental values.
Houston is a huge city, and can easily support a team under the right conditions. It would have local rivals etc. Of course it might not work.

The NHL should not expand for awhile, atleast 5 years. It needs to secure its other franchises in the south right now.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
J17ster said:
Rule out Atlanta...

Sonnova*****! Boo-boo on my part. That should read San Antonio. I was sidetracked when I was writing it, and thought I corrected it. I guess not.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Las Vegas

i think if the NHL could get a presence in LV, it might help them become more legitimate.

Runner up would be Seattle.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
boredmale said:
Las Vegas

i think if the NHL could get a presence in LV, it might help them become more legitimate.

Runner up would be Seattle.

Rick Tocchet could be team president.

Vic Rattlehead*

J17ster said:
Rule out Atlanta and Toronto for a start. Atlanta will never have another NHL franchise, and needs to stabalise its current franchise. Toronto has the size, but no fan will switch teams. Winnipeg failed once, and the only reason people want it back is because of sentimental values.
Houston is a huge city, and can easily support a team under the right conditions. It would have local rivals etc. Of course it might not work.

The NHL should not expand for awhile, atleast 5 years. It needs to secure its other franchises in the south right now.

Winnipeg didn't fail. The owner wanted to move, regardless of how Winnipeg was doing.

jacK

Sep 18, 2005
Michigan
i said Vegas too... from a strictly business standpoint, it's a gold mine. i can see downsides to a team there, but $$$>bad pub. :)

but, i don't see the nhl 'expanding' for many, many moons. maybe Pit moves, maybe Fla moves... but 30's enough (too many?) as it is.

theo14

Jul 16, 2004
Seattle
I think there should be a few teams in Sweden, Finnland,Britain,Czech,Ireland Maybe in the next 15-25 years.

Wetcoaster

kurt said:
Now that the NHL has imposed their cap system and achieved cost certainty, it's clear that many markets would be interested in an NHL franchise. Which market do you see as being the most probable location for a new club?

A B C

Anywhere But Canada - the Bettman rule.

Houston, Kansas City, Oklahoma City - all ready to go.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
Wetcoaster said:
A B C

Anywhere But Canada - the Bettman rule.

CONTRADICTION: the Ottawa Senators: didn't you forget that Bettman (that's right, "stinky old" Bettman) was commissioner when this expansion team began in 1992-93. Man, do people forget.

newhavenbeast

Oct 24, 2005
ct/ma
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11329765/

Has anyone seen this article from MSNBC yet? On the page there are two lists:

One for the best ten markets for expansion
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/2006/0213/sports_expansion/1.html?hbx=slide_sport_article

Another for the ten most overextended
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/2006/0213/sports_overextend/1.html

Hartford is #3 on the list for expansion (and number one for NHL).
Kansas City is #5 for the most overextended.

Kansas City can't even get people to watch their baseball team. How could they possibly get people to watch hockey?

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
Hartford would also be a great place to put a franchise. Hartford-Carolina rivalry right there.

Portland would be a great place too, especially if the Blazers pack up and leave. Portland-Vancouver rivalry right there.

Winnipeg too, just because of the sheer hockey demand there. Winnipeg-Minnesota rivalry right there (Province of Hockey vs. State of Hockey).

And Kansas City, because of the Sprint Center. I don't buy the Royals' low attendance as a prevention for a new franchise. If the MLB had a salary cap, the Royals could definitely be better both attendance-wise and skill-wise. If an NHL team comes there, it could prosper with a state rivalry, a new arena, and a good team.

HoustonHockey

Jan 5, 2006
One of the reasons why Houston makes sense (besides it's obvious size), is that we have the brand-new Toyota Center. A Houston whoever and Dallas Stars rivalry would be pretty good, as well.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
HoustonHockey said:
A Houston whoever and Dallas Stars rivalry would be pretty good, as well.

As well as Houston-Edmonton. Oil connections, so this would be the "Battle of the Oil". Of course, a "Battle of the Lone Star" would be much more fierce.

So the expansion possibilities are endless. Contraction is pretty ridiculous, should I say?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
19bruins19 said:
Winnipeg didn't fail. The owner wanted to move, regardless of how Winnipeg was doing.

Well then it did fail, because it doesnt have an NHL team anymore. I wasnt even 8 when Winnipeg moved i think, so i dont exactly know why they moved though. From the limited stuff i know about the Jets, it was a money thing?

RTWAP*

hockydude5000 said:
CONTRADICTION: the Ottawa Senators: didn't you forget that Bettman (that's right, "stinky old" Bettman) was commissioner when this expansion team began in 1992-93. Man, do people forget.
Bettman wasn't the commish when the franchise was awarded. :shakehead

Not that I think Bettman would have vetoed it or anything. I'm just saying.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
RalfTheWiseNPowerful said:
Bettman wasn't the commish when the franchise was awarded. :shakehead

Not that I think Bettman would have vetoed it or anything. I'm just saying.

Oh wait a sec.... Bettman began as Commissioner that season, but not when the franchise was awarded. Forgot to read the fine print. But still, I am pretty sure that the NHL will award Winnipeg and Kansas City the next NHL franchises.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
Oklahoma City wouldn't be a bad place for a team if one would have to move IMO. They have one minor league team in OKC(Blazers) and there are a few more minor league teams in the area as well. Tulsa Oilers is the only other one I can think of,but I'm pretty sure a friend of mine down there mentioned a couple others.

hockydude5000

Jan 2, 2006
phillypensfan said:
Oklahoma City wouldn't be a bad place for a team if one would have to move IMO. They have one minor league team in OKC(Blazers) and there are a few more minor league teams in the area as well. Tulsa Oilers is the only other one I can think of,but I'm pretty sure a friend of mine down there mentioned a couple others.

I expect Oklahoma City to get an AHL franchise (Kansas City affiliate) before they get an NHL team.

Wetcoaster

hockydude5000 said:
I forgot nothing. You on the other hand................... :shakehead

What "contradiction"?????

Bettman was appointed commissioner on 1 February 1993. The Senators were already playing in the NHL.

Also Ottawa was awarded the expansion franchise on 6 December 1990 - over two years before Bettman was hired as Commissioner. John Ziegler was in charge of the NHL at the time that expansion teams were evaluated and the franchise was awarded.

Gil Stein was NHL President when the Senators entered the NHL.

So tell me what is the contradiction?

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
hockydude5000 said:
Oh wait a sec.... Bettman began as Commissioner that season, but not when the franchise was awarded. Forgot to read the fine print. But still, I am pretty sure that the NHL will award Winnipeg and Kansas City the next NHL franchises.

KC will NEVER get another NHL team

ever

not a remote chance of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad