The Canucks

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the team looked more promising/cohesive when Kesler and Booth were out of the lineup?

I'm not arguing that they don't make our team better and of course it'll take time for them to gel in but the whole team aside from the Sedin line has looked disjointed lately.

Kassian on our 4th line is a waste. And he looks to have fallen somewhat back into AV's doghouse with a few bad turnovers but he needs to have time to mature and we need a player like him producing in our lineup because we don't have any other player that provides an element like him.

is that really surprising considering that the whole team aside from the Sedin line has been constantly line juggled right now?

It's obvious that AV is taking it slow and cautious with both Kesler and Booth, and until they are at the level AV needs them to be at, you'll continue to see constant line juggling. Until then, expect the forward lines to look disjointed.

IMO it'll be another 5-10 games before we see some consistency with the lineup, and another few games after that before those lines start to form some chemistry.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Alright it might sound early and all, yes sometimes we have 3 straight losses but to be honest I don't feel that we have a Stanley contending team. What would you do at the trade deadline? because clearly this team needs to make some moves or we are looking at another early exit in the playoffs.

Weak spots:

-Defense has been weak
-Forwards need to work harder
-60 min effort
-Powerplay

I think we need to get some new defense if they aren't good by then because they have been horrible since the start.

Possibly a new coach?

Anyways the Canucks need to make a new move somewhere.

OP you are wrong. It's very much a Stanley Cup contending team. Whether it can win it is a whole other question.

This is why you are wrong:
-60 min effort are impossible. Other teams are good too, and they can take the play to you at times. Over the course of a season, you are bound to get fatigued.

-Forwards need to work harder. This sounds more like a criticism than a hole in the team. It will come in due time. Remember Kesler and Booth are back so things are bound to get mixed up.

-Defense will get better. Garrison coming in has kind of provided in imbalance for now, the defense just needs to get familiar with everyone's style. And HamJuice needs to come back FFS.

-Powerplay. Once the defense gets sorted out I think we'll see a big difference. So far our problem has been getting into the offensive zone and getting settled. That will come in due time.

New coach? Please, tell me who you pick over Vigneault that isn't already coaching.

Word of encouragement: We just put up two fairly mediocre efforts against the best team in the league and St. Louis and none of them could beat us after 65 minutes.

If anything, our biggest problem right now is the defense. But that I think will sort itself out as the season wears on if Bowness is half the coach AV thinks he is.

My underlying concern is we need a bonafide shutdown center. Schroeder isn't going to do the trick and Kesler is too important offensively to have him do it for the long duration of a playoff run.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
I feel more confident this season than last.

I don't think there's any reason to panic yet. I'm hopeful and confident with the crew we have assembled.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I had Chinese food for dinner tonight. It was nice, but a bit salty for my taste. What are you guys having?

That's a discussion I'd be more interested in than bemoaning losing 3 games in the circumstances we have.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It's pretty weird right now...

Our 3 big problems early in the season are resolving themselves, but the wins are escaping us..

- The Sedins are starting roll.
- we have scored 6 PPG in the last 6 gms
- The PK has settled down and on a 25/28 (89%) 'run'.

- Kesler is back, now Booth is back.

The problem... the D is falling apart 5on5.
10 goals against in the last 3 games? after allowing 8 goals in the last 7? It can't be blamed on the goaltenders at this point.

Team Defense looked so solid (and lucky) before that Dallas game. I'm almost at a loss for how its flipped a bit here.

I'm chalking it up to bounces at this point. The D was making the same brainfarts during that 8g in 7 gm stretch.. but we weren't getting burnt by them. But the defensive 'process' has been a step behind all season... not a recent thing... but being magnified now with the recent results.

Matter of time i think. Feeling very confident with the team right now. I know this D is capable of playing 'head-up-the-arse'-free hockey... i await patiently till they figure it out.

That finishing 35 minutes of the Blues game... and the 1st period (minus the PP ) and 3rd vs the Hawks... was an awesome flash of what this team has been and is capable of..
When they decide to come in waves... it is fun to watch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad