The Canada Thread Part III: Winter is coming edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
There is Taiwan to look at, then everyone else.

Taiwan for sure is the gold standard.

But other Asian countries have done a great job and containing the virus mostly because they followed the rules. I've been living life normally in Thailand since July 1 because we closed borders and did a strict lockdown in March. We put in the time and were rewarded.

It's sad to see what's happening in Canada, especially when people are criticizing Hockey Canada for quarantining the world junior team. Like, that's the smart move...

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I don't know, there was an obvious increase in cases happening in October, and it was pretty clear which direction we were headed before the month ended. Contact tracing became overwhelmed in early November and it took three more weeks before anything was done. We went from 146 cases on Oct 1 to 1112 on Nov 24. Of course Christmas is right around the corner as well, and while the current restrictions are for only 3 weeks. That isn't enough time for the province to reach it's desired result from these restriction. Hospitalizations and ICU admissions will continue to rise over these next three weeks, restrictions wills remain in place and many families will be closing out an already shitty year separated.
All very fair points, and a very common opinion.

I don’t blame any politician here in Canada for what’s happening. IMO there’s too much blame going around. COVID is pretty much a shit storm in all of Canada’s higher populated provinces.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
How many tests a day does Ontario perform?

Alberta's leadership has continually talked about how they lead in testing per capita. I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

B9-ED5918-2-A42-4858-AFB2-71-E0686-DB93-F.jpg

Alberta should not have anywhere near Ontario in terms of cases. The testing = more cases is just a bad excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

DemampCamp

Mar 3, 2012
VanCity
Did anyone catch what was on ctv news about the amount of deaths that were outsids of long term care homes in all of Canada?
166 deaths in all of Canada since the start of covid... That's all.
The other 10,716 deaths due to covid they say are all from long term care homes. That's 98.4%.
And even further more that number of deaths in long term care homes is not above average compared to years past, in fact there was more deaths in care homes in 2017.
How could this be? You would have to think if there are so many deaths happening from this virus there would be a huge spike in numbers from years past right?
Also it has been stated that every death inside these care homes is being put down as a covid death even if the person who passed didn't have covid.
Kind of makes you wonder what's really going on.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Did anyone catch what was on ctv news about the amount of deaths that were outsids of long term care homes in all of Canada?
166 deaths in all of Canada since the start of covid... That's all.
The other 10,716 deaths due to covid they say are all from long term care homes. That's 98.4%.
And even further more that number of deaths in long term care homes is not above average compared to years past, in fact there was more deaths in care homes in 2017.
How could this be? You would have to think if there are so many deaths happening from this virus there would be a huge spike in numbers from years past right?
Also it has been stated that every death inside these care homes is being put down as a covid death even if the person who passed didn't have covid.
Kind of makes you wonder what's really going on.

A quick check on Ontario's website shows that there's over 1200 non-LTC deaths.

Perhaps you should be verifying some of your information, rather than going off of "things you heard".

DemampCamp

Mar 3, 2012
VanCity
The thing you said you heard was not in that video. I mean I didn't have to watch that video to know that number was absolute BS lol I did anyways just for fun.
I just saw it on that video yesterday and going back to watch it just now they edited that part of the video out, unreal, but there is a screen shot here of that Stat that they had originally posted in that video

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1606392122288.jpg
    FB_IMG_1606392122288.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 7

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I never said it was "things I heard" it was on ctv news

Here's the link
CTV National News for Sunday, Nov. 15, 2020

3 minutes in they start talking about it

Well, you've now been alerted to official (and recently audited) government sources that runs counter to what you believe you heard from the broadcast. Since you have the link, my recommendation would be to review to see if you perhaps misinterpreted what was said, or if a major media outlet got a fundamental fact about the pandemic wrong.

Edit : Seeing the follow up posts, my suspicion is that you maybe didn't watch the original broadcast and are relaying what you saw on screenshots from social media posts.

DemampCamp

Mar 3, 2012
VanCity
Well, you've now been alerted to official (and recently audited) government sources that runs counter to what you believe you heard from the broadcast. Since you have the link, my recommendation would be to review to see if you perhaps misinterpreted what was said, or if a major media outlet got a fundamental fact about the pandemic wrong.

Edit : Seeing the follow up posts, my suspicion is that you maybe didn't watch the original broadcast and are relaying what you saw on screenshots from social media posts.
No I did watch it yesterday and it has that exact Stat on the video I saw it and listened to it, now going back they have edited it out, so perhaps the stat was wrong? I'm not sure, but others had seen that same stat and has tweeted about it after seeing it on ctv news, don't know if they reported incorrect information or what.

The gif is what they had originally reported on ctv news, and was edited out so maybe it was false info

Last edited by a moderator:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’m not sure about Kenney’s talking points were, but Alberta as a province has done a lot of testing.

I somewhat disagree that Kenney has let things go to late. I’m sure I’ll get attacked for saying that but I think his timing is ok. Listening to Dr Hinshaw talk our hospitals out here aren’t doing terribly.

He hid for 12 days, focused on economy first, and our hospitals are not doing great.

Kenney is literally the worst premier in Canada and is doing the shittiest job. His claim that high cases due to high testing holds no water when you see the positivity rate increasing, not decreasing.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
All very fair points, and a very common opinion.

I don’t blame any politician here in Canada for what’s happening. IMO there’s too much blame going around. COVID is pretty much a shit storm in all of Canada’s higher populated provinces.
IMO we need to assign even more blame to those who downplayed the virus, and continue to deflect from their culpability.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreytWun and Torgo

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He hid for 12 days, focused on economy first, and our hospitals are not doing great.

Kenney is literally the worst premier in Canada and is doing the shittiest job. His claim that high cases due to high testing holds no water when you see the positivity rate increasing, not decreasing.
Kenney is Magna cum Laude of the Trump Skool of Ostrich Solutions.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Isssh, just heard on CTV that we could have made one of the vaccine right here in Ottawa, but the place has been under reno for months.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
Breaking news: People in old folks homes die. But now instead of having family and loved ones around, they are forced into isolation. The worst punishment you can do to a human being.

79% of total deaths are care home?

Keep calling for more restrictions for the rest of us, Larry.

Last edited:

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
B9-ED5918-2-A42-4858-AFB2-71-E0686-DB93-F.jpg

Alberta should not have anywhere near Ontario in terms of cases. The testing = more cases is just a bad excuse.
Yup. I’m actually surprised by the lower amounts of tests for Quebec too. Ontario is testing a pile more. Of course a larger population but still it’s surprising.

edit. Could be wrong as another poster pointed out.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Breaking news: People in old folks homes die. But now instead of having family and loved ones around, they are forced into isolation. The worst punishment you can do to a human being.

Eight months in a row now there's been more than 100 overdose deaths in BC, over 160 dead this month. Directly linked to pandemic restriction - these numbers are up substantially from the same time last year. OD deaths since the restrictions started absolutely dwarf covid deaths but you would never know it from the coverage.

On balance I say the restrictions are worse than the ailment itself. They do more harm, all kinds of harm, they kill more people, it's obvious now and it was obvious all the way back in the spring, and it will only get more so the case as the longterm effects of these restrictions start to show. The authorities would love for us to pick at each other and blame each other for not wearing mask, or not wearing it properly enough, or not following the rules closely or attentively - because it means we aren't blaming them for their obvious failings. Care homes being number one above all. Hospitals as well. Totally unprepared and vulnerable due to neglect and underfunding, you would expect the public to be absolutely furious at the mismanagement, but they have got us cowed with the constant crisis-style communications strategy so nobody says anything on these topics, it's all very rally-round-the-flag.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Our premier said our cases are high due to the amount of testing.

I can’t make this shit up.
Our premier said that the amount of cases is proportionate to the amount of testing. I keep harping on this to people who bring this up.

My response to Notley would be:

So which would you prefer, 100 positive cases in 1000 tests or 200 positive cases in 5000 tests. Infection rates are far more important. Shall I communicate to BC that we will both release only the infection rates in the first 1000 tests so we can be consistent?

I don't think he has particularly done a great job on Covid but her reasoning is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->