Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Enrnor8WEAU4b8d

seems ridiculous

Your graph sucks at scaling.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Your graph sucks at scaling.

I'm not sure why? Can you present a scale that paints a different picture? Wouldn't every scale show the same relative relationship between cases rising bigtime while deaths are increasing at a much lower rate?

BudRobinson53

Sep 5, 2020
Ontario Auditor General out with a report today that lays out a bunch of issues with the Ontario covid response. Chief among the criticisms is the lack of a a clear medical voice a the decision tables, but also a general slow reaction time when needed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...ting-case-management-auditor-report-1.5814949

Some pretty petty and harsh criticism - everyone could have done better, but for a pandemic like this, it could have also been a lot worse. Ultimately, there is China, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand to look at, heck even the Atlantic bubble and then there is everyone else. But in Ontario, where you have 7-8 million people within a short drive of each other, imaginary districts - it could be and likely should be much worse.

Now, Alberta's AG on the other hand.....that should be interesting!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
BC had a record number of cases yesterday, Ontario is still bad and Manitoba is lockdown for 13 days and still seeing huge cases
on top of record setting cases in places like California and Europe

basically, everywhere is bad

But better.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
BC had a record number of cases yesterday, Ontario is still bad and Manitoba is lockdown for 13 days and still seeing huge cases
on top of record setting cases in places like California and Europe

basically, everywhere is bad
Lots of our cases in BC are in Care Homes again too. I think it’s 60 facilities now have outbreaks. For whatever reasons, we just don’t seem to be able to protect the elderly in those homes. I think one reason might still be because workers (Care Aides, Nurses, and Doctors) are working in several facilities?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Some pretty petty and harsh criticism - everyone could have done better, but for a pandemic like this, it could have also been a lot worse. Ultimately, there is China, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand to look at, heck even the Atlantic bubble and then there is everyone else. But in Ontario, where you have 7-8 million people within a short drive of each other, imaginary districts - it could be and likely should be much worse.

Given how Ford has generally operated with a lack of transparency here, I think the criticisms here are valid.

And while results may be better than elsewhere, the value in a report like this is to get a comprehensive view of what's actually been happening, and a chance to understand how we've gotten here.

In an ideal world, an audit isn't about assigning blame, but, to be able to identify what worked and what didn't, so improvements can be made. That would hopefully result in Ford adjusting his decision tables for better input from medical experts and have greater transparency of key decisions, but, given that Ford and Elliot's response has been to attack the AG, I'm not too optimistic.

All that said, I'm actually pleasantly surprised how Ontario's cases have really slowed their growth. If you asked me two months ago where we'd be, I would have sworn we'd be hitting over 2k regularly. There's probably some lessons learned from Ontario that could be leveraged elsewhere, but, it requires better data that's we have, which has been part of the problem.

Reactions: Torgo

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Ontario tests more than the entire country combined daily. Alberta still has the same if not more cases. That excuse sucks.
How many tests a day does Ontario perform?

Alberta's leadership has continually talked about how they lead in testing per capita. I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How many tests a day does Ontario perform?

Alberta's leadership has continually talked about how they lead in testing per capita. I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

Very likely it's true on a per capita basis, that said Kenney's talking points are garbage. Alberta's cases aren't high because there is a lot of testing, with a positivity rate of 8.1% it's because he reacted far too late. The number of daily cases tripled from OCT 1 to OCT 31. He sat idly by while Albertans were begging for him to take action. At least when Trump made the same suggestions, there had actually been an increase in testing. That has not been the case in Alberta, there is just more infected.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Very likely it's true on a per capita basis, that said Kenney's talking points are garbage. Alberta's cases aren't high because there is a lot of testing, with a positivity rate of 8.1% it's because he reacted far too late. The number of daily cases tripled from OCT 1 to OCT 31. He sat idly by while Albertans were begging for him to take action. At least when Trump made the same suggestions, there had actually been an increase in testing. That has not been the case in Alberta, there is just more infected.
I’m not sure about Kenney’s talking points were, but Alberta as a province has done a lot of testing.

I somewhat disagree that Kenney has let things go to late. I’m sure I’ll get attacked for saying that but I think his timing is ok. Listening to Dr Hinshaw talk our hospitals out here aren’t doing terribly.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I’m not sure about Kenney’s talking points were, but Alberta as a province has done a lot of testing.

I somewhat disagree that Kenney has let things go to late. I’m sure I’ll get attacked for saying that but I think his timing is ok. Listening to Dr Hinshaw talk our hospitals out here aren’t doing terribly.

I don't know, there was an obvious increase in cases happening in October, and it was pretty clear which direction we were headed before the month ended. Contact tracing became overwhelmed in early November and it took three more weeks before anything was done. We went from 146 cases on Oct 1 to 1112 on Nov 24. Of course Christmas is right around the corner as well, and while the current restrictions are for only 3 weeks. That isn't enough time for the province to reach it's desired result from these restriction. Hospitalizations and ICU admissions will continue to rise over these next three weeks, restrictions wills remain in place and many families will be closing out an already shitty year separated.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

JimtheMagicalHamster

Jul 4, 2009
I'm not sure why? Can you present a scale that paints a different picture? Wouldn't every scale show the same relative relationship between cases rising bigtime while deaths are increasing at a much lower rate?
The difference between the data points is so large that using the same scale makes it impossible to see any changes in the smaller data series.

I have no idea where he got his numbers, but here's an example using a very basic table that we'll callApples and Oranges.
M1M2M3M4M5M6M7M8M9M10
Apples5001025210143088831181033711076076155956319709
Oranges132653108221453928190238997993
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Since we're talking about cumulative numbers, Apples increase by 105% every month. Oranges are always 2.5% of apples, each and every month. If you plot it using just a single axis, you get this:
View media item 8205
If you look at that without proper context, you'd think that Apples were skyrocketing and Oranges were increasing slowly. In reality, it is the same percentage of Oranges to Apples as there always has been. You can see the relationship if you use dual axes or a logarithmic scale, either of which would be a more accurate way of showing the relationship between the two.

View media item 8206View media item 8207

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

There is Taiwan to look at, then everyone else.

Reactions: BudRobinson53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->