The Cake Is A Lie. The Tank Is Real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Trade is clear loss. Calgary traded Baertschi b/c of concussion issues and he should never have been touched. Benning got hosed. Nothing new there.

Have the usual dread about the trade deadline.

I don’t think that is why they traded him, at least I’ve never seen that as to why. Baertschi asked for a trade so they gave him one. He had a concussion during World Juniors and then had what was called a neck injury/whiplash.

Either way, he was injury prone even back then. He was hurt like 5 separate times with Calgary. Obviously he hasn’t avoided injuries while aging.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Calgary traded Baertschi because of truculence issues...he wasn't truculent enough for Burke and Hartley. That's it really. This is a deal I didn't have an issue with because quite frankly it was actually a case of not giving a talented guy a chance or that there were truly some other underlying reasons. And honestly, while I'm not a huge fan of Baertschi, if he was healthy I don't mind him in the top 6. I just don't want more than one of that type of player...

Not sure how people are happy with a sub 0.500 pt% team that when healthy only really proved to be a 0.500 pt%. I use % because it's a fake 0.500 with the OTL. An 82 point pace team is normally nowhere near the playoffs. I fail to see the improvement from nowhere near the playoffs to (in any other year) nowhere near the playoffs. Now, it happens the west has a ton of bad teams this year so they are near the playoffs but I don't really see that as an improvement. You had 6 teams last year that were +/-6 points from 82 (the highest point total of those missed the playoffs by double digit points). You had 6 more below that threshold but only 2 below 70 points. They are on pace for 80 points right now (and that's falling over the last month). They finished with 73 last year. On any given year that's the type of swing I think I would expect for a team that stays at a similar quality from the year before. Markstrom doesn't light it up since December 1 and they are likely on a pace below the 73 (he's been that important).

I just don't see the improvement. Oh I know the argument is going to be "but there wasn't supposed to be! Enjoy the young players!". My response is still the same as it's been for months:
- You have the likely Rookie of the year winner setting organization records as your best center and player
- another young 30+ goal scorer (not playing his best but still on that pace)
- another young center really coming into to his own as a two way force
- a starter that is playing like a true starter for 3 months
- two younger D-men that have really stepped up

That is supposedly what was going to allow the team to take off. Great performances from 4-5 young players. They have it and the result is very little impact. Why? Because the part that the GM is truly responsible for (roster building) is just brutal.

I guarantee that if you told Benning and Aquilini at the beginning of the year that you had a crystal ball and that those were the performances we were going to see from Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Markstrom, Stecher and Hutton they'd confidently say they would be playoff bound and not through a wildcard birth. That's how wildly off the mark his roster building over the last 4 offseasons has been.

So they need to tank these last 22 games because the owner needs to wake up. Put a QUALIFIED president in place, step away and let the president run the show. Give him financial goals to hit to protect and grow your investment but step away from decision making.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I agree Tantalum, but even if you don't think it's improved, I think the fact we now know we've replaced the Sedins with Pettersson and that the team led by him and not the Twins is still roughly the same quality can be considered a bit of a win.

Yeah, it doesn't move the needle but at the very least I take solace in that. Other than that, I agree with everything you've written.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I agree Tantalum, but even if you don't think it's improved, I think the fact we now know we've replaced the Sedins with Pettersson and that the team led by him and not the Twins is still roughly the same quality can be considered a bit of a win.

Yeah, it doesn't move the needle but at the very least I take solace in that. Other than that, I agree with everything you've written.

Hey, it's great that they have Pettersson and Boeser. Don't get me wrong. But that's not a win in my books. They've sucked for half a decade. There better be blue chippers...and certainly Pettersson is the bluest of the blue which is good. But there should also be far more in the system including more blue chippers. Pettersson is great and helps balance out the two huge misses but to me it's not a win but rather a "thank god" because wow what would happen if they missed on that pick as well.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Trade is clear loss. Calgary traded Baertschi b/c of concussion issues and he should never have been touched. Benning got hosed. Nothing new there.

Have the usual dread about the trade deadline.

It's extremely sad how solid this team could have been right now if we had just committed to a more traditional rebuild, held onto and made our picks (and took the highest skilled players in 14/16), and unloaded vets for assets.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah if the owner was able to step back and a good executive fully trusted everyone would be a lot more comfortable that's for sure. As it is now, with FA meddling you can see why a small management team probably works. You also run the risk of being too good of a team to draft high end players if your trades and signings turn into home runs.

If we can get through the trade deadline with nothing happening, or even get through to the end of next season without anything really happening I'll be happy. Just can't let Benning sign any contracts over 2 years unless it's an RFA. Basically the longer we go with no long term UFA signings, or trades for players with long contracts we can get a proper GM in place in say May 2020, and that guy & team only have 1 or 2 seasons saddled with bad contracts.

Reactions: lindgren

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
After the Canucks miss the playoffs Benning is going to act like this season was some sort of success because they were "playing meaningful games in February/March" but that's quite disingenuous. The Canucks weren't playing meaningful games because they've improved...the Canucks are just as bad as they were the previous 3 seasons. The only difference is the rest of the teams in the West have regressed.

After 60 games:

18-19: 59 points
17-18: 53 points
16-17: 58 points
15-16: 60 points

What's a bit funny is they are 6 points up on where they were this time last year, but last year they finished higher than the previous two seasons. The Canucks are right there with the 16-17 and 15-16 teams that both finished 28th and 29th in the league.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
After the Canucks miss the playoffs Benning is going to act like this season was some sort of success because they were "playing meaningful games in February/March" but that's quite disingenuous. The Canucks weren't playing meaningful games because they've improved...the Canucks are just as bad as they were the previous 3 seasons. The only difference is the rest of the teams in the West have regressed.

After 60 games:

18-19: 59 points
17-18: 53 points
16-17: 58 points
15-16: 60 points

What's a bit funny is they are 6 points up on where they were this time last year, but last year they finished higher than the previous two seasons. The Canucks are right there with the 16-17 and 15-16 teams that both finished 28th and 29th in the league.

But INJURIES! Who could have foreseen the INJURIES???

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I love my tank thread.

it's the only thread where the Mods let us speak our minds and let it be.

But seriously....none of you realize that our Canucks are going to all in on Jack Hughes this draft.

they put the Sedins above and beyond the benefit of this organization and their now going to do it with the Hughes brothers....non NHL players.

think about that.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I love my tank thread.

it's the only thread where the Mods let us speak our minds and let it be.

But seriously....none of you realize that our Canucks are going to all in on Jack Hughes this draft.

they put the Sedins above and beyond the benefit of this organization and their now going to do it with the Hughes brothers....non NHL players.

think about that.

Man that’s why I hope they don’t get the first overall pick but rather the second.

Simple reason is that I believe kakko is the better of the two. But if we get #1 we are taking Hughes and passing on Kakko. If we get #2 and Hughes falls cause kakko is gone then fine take him. I’d just be disappointed to take Hughes over kakko with the #1pick with an option for both.

I could be wrong but a small center with no shot does scare me.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Man that’s why I hope they don’t get the first overall pick but rather the second.

Simple reason is that I believe kakko is the better of the two. But if we get #1 we are taking Hughes and passing on Kakko. If we get #2 and Hughes falls cause kakko is gone then fine take him. I’d just be disappointed to take Hughes over kakko with the #1pick with an option for both.

I could be wrong but a small center with no shot does scare me.
if we end up picking 2-10 then I think Jack will be a Canuck. we might not have to give up too much...Most likely draft picks.

we finish 10-15 then look out.

We're going to give up Bo , unprotected 2020 or 2021 1st, and probably a good rookie like Gaudette.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Start connecting the dots peps.

Gillis was going to start a rebuild!

Aqua cocktailed him.

Sedins get big money

the rest is history and the Bro's will defend this new regime to the bitter end.

The Fans have gotten EXACTLY what they have wanted....no stopping it now which is why Jack Hughes WILL be a Canuck.

Reactions: The Drop

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
We're PR picking.

Pettersson should have clued most of ya into it.
oh
Ron ( I'm one of the worst scouts in NHL history )

del ..whatever....pushed the HARDEST for Pettersson???????????

you people actually believe that?

Your a god damn fool to believe that!

look back a year or so ago when this fan base was talking about our scouts........hmmmmmmm,

now he's the savior?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
One good result in: Rangers over Carolina (and now ahead of Vancouver in league standings).

Second good result: Florida beats Buffalo. (also overtaking the Canucks -- I was in error about this originally)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->