The Cake Is A Lie. The Tank Is Real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think after watching the defense in the last two games Demko and Markstrom have developed season ending injuries.

Great loss.

Reactions: Jack Burton

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
As much as I'm on the tank, nobody wants to see a rookie thrown to the wolves like that.

I feel bad for Dipietro, but if he's the sacrificial lamb that will get Benning fired then so be it. Though I'm smart enough to know it won't be. And yes, I do know that there will be people defying logic once again and coming up with some way to praise Benning for this.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I feel bad for Dipietro, but if he's the sacrificial lamb that will get Benning fired then so be it. Though I'm smart enough to know it won't be. And yes, I do know that there will be people defying logic once again and coming up with some way to praise Benning for this.

We've got 2 more years of this shit.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Honestly, I don't even know how you spin a positive angle on this.

This isn't even a case of 'giving the young guys an opportunity to make the team over vets if they play well'.

This is a fresh, 19 year old, CHL goalie thrown to the wolves, without our #1 d-man and against a top 5 team in the NHL. Absolutely ****ing mindbogglingly stupid. And Benning had what, 5 weeks to sign an NHL tweener or even an AHL level veteran backup at minimum salary to avoid this situation in the first place.

This is just another level, but just reflects what people like us have been saying about management all along.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm puzzled by the complaints about the situation in goal and DiPietro playing. I could understand it in the game-day thread, but not here. Why would tank supporters want management to give up an asset in order to acquire a temporary solution in goal that might mean another point or two for the Canucks? That makes no sense.

What's the cost of DiPietro starting this game and perhaps one or two more with respect to his development? Probably no cost at all. What's the cost in relation to team performance? Perhaps it costs a point or two in the standings. That's not a bad thing. It's the opposite.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm puzzled by the complaints about the situation in goal and DiPietro playing. I could understand it in the game-day thread, but not here. Why would tank supporters want management to give up an asset in order to acquire a temporary solution in goal that might mean another point or two for the Canucks? That makes no sense.

What's the cost of DiPietro starting this game and perhaps one or two more with respect to his development? Probably no cost at all. What's the cost in relation to team performance? Perhaps it costs a point or two in the standings. That's not a bad thing. It's the opposite.

No one's saying the backup you get needs to be good. They just need to stand in the net for 60 minutes and not be a 19 year old CHL goalie. If we get lit up 7-2 with McKenna in net, it's a beautiful night.

All we need to do is find some AHL guy to an NHL contract (would make a years AHL salary if they stay on the roster for a couple weeks). If an NHL team waives a goalie, claim them and waive the guy we just signed down to Utica. Demko gets healthy and we waive that guy.

What we need here is a heat shield, not some quality NHL keeper worth giving up a pick for.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Here's a thought: Maybe the people in this thread have opinions slightly more sophisticated than simply: TEAM LOSE IS GOOD.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

It is preferable to NOT have to risk your blue chipper to achieve said objective.

But.

If the cost of public outrage against these fake Canuck managers is the ruination of the prospect named Michael DiPietro, then so be it.

Winter is coming.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It is preferable to NOT have to risk your blue chipper to achieve said objective.

But.

If the cost of public outrage against these fake Canuck managers is the ruination of the prospect named Michael DiPietro, then so be it.

Winter is coming.

Is there anyone who seriously thinks DiPietro will be ruined by this experience? As some posters are fond of saying: nobody with a brain thinks that.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You're confusing sophistication with inconsistency and lack of logic.

There is a lot of nuance to people who are pro-tank. You're also lumping a large group of people into having exactly the same belief. You don't even get that in any walk of life, let alone pro-tank fandom.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
we could literally have signed the local fishmonger or sheet metal worker to play in goal and that would have been more preferable to having a 19 year old, undersized kid get absolutely shelled without his no1 D-Man, staggering incompetence from the Front Office

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
There is a lot of nuance to people who are pro-tank. You're also lumping a large group of people into having exactly the same belief. You don't even get that in any walk of life, let alone pro-tank fandom.

I was responding to a series of posts, none of which made sense.

The goaltending situation is good for the tank. It makes losses more likely. (The losses not only lead to a better draft position, but they make it somewhat less likely that Benning will do something even more stupid than usual at the deadline.) It further exposes management incompetence, will get lots of negative media coverage, and thus it makes it more likely that the thin-skinned ownership will begin considering a management change.

I don't think there's any serious risk of DiPietro's development being hurt, and I've not read or heard any serious analyst say anything different. On the contrary, if this brief stint in the NHL has any effect (though in the long run it probably won't be significant), it's more likely to be positive, giving DiPietro an early experience of the NHL and what he needs to work on.

The obviously justified criticisms of how management has handled the goaltending make perfect sense in the management thread, but here, as I said, they're puzzling.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
giphy.gif

Reactions: brokenhole

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Minnesota is up 3 - 1 on Philadelphia after 20. PHI is 8-1-1 L10.

St. Louis and Dallas are about to establish more separation on Vancouver

EDIT: Seguin ices it for Dallas and we're 1-for-3 on the night. Philadelphia has scored to make it 3 - 2. STL is destroying NJD 6 - 1

EDIT 2: Philadelphia ties it. For the tank, Minnesota must take points here

Last edited:

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
Minnesota is up 3 - 1 on Philadelphia after 20. PHI is 8-1-1 L10.

St. Louis and Dallas are about to establish more separation on Vancouver

EDIT: Seguin ices it for Dallas and we're 1-for-3 on the night. Philadelphia has scored to make it 3 - 2. STL is destroying NJD 6 - 1

EDIT 2: Philadelphia ties it. For the tank, Minnesota must take points here

Also, Colorado catches Vancouver with a win and is 1-1 at the first intermission.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Minny scores to go up 4-3.

Damnit WPG ties it 3-3. Hopefully NYR can scrape at least a point and then take it in OT. EDIT: damnit WPG up 4-3. Useless.

Detroit up 3-2 in NSH too!

AGH Toronto up 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad