The Cake Is A Lie. The Tank Is Real.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by ProstheticConscience, Dec 14, 2018.

1. mossey3535

mossey3535 Registered User

What's worse as a tanking scenario:

1) make the playoffs, have semi-decent run
    2) make the playoffs, out in 1st round
    3) barely miss the playoffs

I would prefer if the bottom fell out going forward, but these scenarios might happen. Personally I think #1 might the worst, worst draft pick and Aquaman might get ideas.

2. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

The real purpose of team tanking is to create outrage amongst the casual plebs.

Nothing stirs up fan unhappiness then a good ol losing streak.

Stardustforever and Zippgunn like this.
  3. 420Canuck

420Canuck Registered User

Uh.....did you just start following the team?

This regime has the support of most of the fan base based on two prospect hits while they've been the worst team in the league over the past 3 seasons. They could lose every game for the rest of the season and Pettersson would be enough for them.

I will disagree until the cows come home that tanking is for getting someone fired, the purpose is for high picks to ultimately make the team become good someday. That's the ice cream sundae of it....the GM getting fired would be the cherry on top.

4. Hindustan Smyl

Hindustan Smyl 2020/2021 = Canucks being a contender

Manager + Lecturer
    There is no bad scenario as long as coaching and management gets the team to......

1) compete hard night in night out
    2) have good on ice and off ice habits.

Let Mother Nature take its course and let the chips fall where they may.

Pastor Of Muppetz likes this.
  5. Lucbourdon

Lucbourdon Kefka cheers for Van Sponsor

This is my two cents on the whole Jimbo situation.

thoughts?

6. y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks I Am Negan Sponsor

Management
    Home Page:
    You're wrong as usual. Nothing Benning has done has shown me any improvement. He continued to give out bad contracts in free agency.

racerjoe and PG Canuck like this.
  7. y2kcanucks

Management
    Home Page:
    Which won't happen unless we get a new GM. Hence, there is no separation between wanting Benning fired and team tank.

mathonwy likes this.
  8. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

Truth.

The GM is at the top of the managerial pyramid of an NHL team.

As long as Jimbo is at the top (or perceived by everyone to be at the top), this franchise will tread in perpetual mediocrity.

y2kcanucks likes this.
  9. y2kcanucks

Management
    Home Page:
    He would also need to convince Eriksson to retire, and dump Jay Beagle, and somehow be able to get Dante Fabbro.

Basically, he would need to undo all his mistakes. That's not realistic.

10. lindgren

lindgren Registered User

Neither the Flyers nor the Kings look likely to pick up a point this evening. It's all up to the Canucks.

11. Lucbourdon

You think Jim has shown ZERO improvment.

I **** on jumbo probably just as much is you and even I cant stand here and say he hasent improved on some things.

Truly delusional as usual if you don’t think he hasn’t shown any sort of progress.

The guy is a bottom 10 general manager, but three years ago the guy was the absolute worst

12. mriswith

mriswith Registered User

I think Benning's last 1.5 years has been much better than his tenure to that point; however, I am not sure if it is that he is improving or that he has simply sat on his hands since then.

Do you trust him to make a good trade or sign a good contract on a key player?

From now to the end of free agency in summer will define if Benning has improved or not. So far this team is in a good position with nothing really screwing it long term other than Eriksson who could probably be dumped easily by a good GM. A bad trade or another anchor signing could change that in a hurry.

13. y2kcanucks

Management
    Home Page:
    Not delusional at all. Just because he hasn't ****ed up yet this year by trading away draft picks doesn't mean there's improvement. The fact that he handed out the two worst contracts on July 1, and the fact that he still refuses to trade away veterans for picks tells me he hasn't improved one bit. I'd argue someone who thinks he's improving is the delusional one.

14. Lucbourdon

The guy is not a good general manager, I would still put him in the bad category, unless he has another 2-3 years of positive moves, He’s not gonna live down some of the stupid mistakes he made.

Even I can’t stand here and say that he hasn’t made a few nice moves, most recently the Josh one

15. Lucbourdon

But he has made moves this year, and they’ve been good, it’s not even debateable.

He has gotten draft picks for crappy players, and he made a trade for a legit top nine forward.

Two of the three signings he made were terrible but at least he hit on one, She’s better than I can say for most years.

Let’s be honest here his bar is extremely low

16. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

Ummm, slight correction: There is a separation from wanting Benning fired and team tank. I want the former, but am not a fierce advocate for the latter.

In the general sense, losing helps push the idea that it's time to fire Benning. However, as we've seen the past 3 years, losing doesn't necessarily lead to Benning being fired. You have to question if it's actually a factor in Aquilini's mind just based upon recent history alone.

I think more than losing, it's going to be the availability of a top candidate that pushes replacing the GM into reality.

17. y2kcanucks

Management
    Home Page:
    If the Canucks were to start winning, Benning will not be fired, that's a guarantee.

Benning will be fired if the Canucks miss the playoffs this year and next year. I really truly believe that.

18. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

When ya gotta go... ya gotta go.

Jimbo represents one of the darkest chapter of Canucks history so far and the fastest he can GTFO the better.

I can't stand to listen to him and anytime I see him I just shake my head.

19. mriswith

mriswith Registered User

Yeah I agree with you on everything here. It's been better the last 1.5 years and there've definitely been some positives. If he were to continue forever like the last 1.5 years, he'd move up to being a mediocre GM instead of a bad one.

I'm just not sure he's improved, or if it just looks better because there's a lack of a big and bad move. He made a good trade early (Baertschi) and has hit on a few signings before too. I'm still afraid of him making any moves and I wouldn't be able to say with confidence that he's improved, as opposed to just saying he's had a better stretch of time due to a relative lack of moves.

Lucbourdon likes this.
  20. lindgren

lindgren Registered User

I'd like the Canucks to move on from Benning.

A question that interests me is what to hope for: what's the scenario that would most likely lead to Acquilini choosing to axe Benning while not being long-term bad news for the franchise? (If Hughes were to bust, for example, that would probably cost Benning his job, but ...)

I keep hoping that one of the assets Benning has given up will produce an embarrassment. McCann scores four goals in a Pittsburgh victory at Vancouver. The franchise is openly laughed at. Acquilini reacts.

21. Ronning On Empty

Ronning On Empty Formerly BleachClean

Again, who knows with Aquilini at the helm? Benning should have been fired already.

Let's say the Canucks barely miss the playoffs next year with 90~ points. Better than their projected 84 points this year. Does he still get fired? I'm not sure. However, I am positive that if they hire (or rumoured to hire) another GM level personality, the writing is on the wall.

22. timw33

timw33 Registered User

Very conflicted with DiPietro in net tonight—don't want to see him shattered. Would be great to see him put up a good start in a losing effort and maybe get another start before getting sent back to junior. Ideally we can get a bit of a sense of how far away he is to help with our future planning.

23. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

Goooooo Taaaank !!!!!!!!
    :wave:

24. clunk

clunk Fire Jim Benning

I feel pretty bad hoping we get shelled with Dipietro in net, but I hope we get shelled. Especially with Aquilini 'live tweeting' the game. I want it to be a disaster again.

25. mathonwy

mathonwy #LindenMustGo

Geezes mother of god....