The Cake Is A Lie. The Tank Is Real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
St Louis and Chicago were sleeping bears.....up until recent. No idea how or why they’ve pulled a complete 180, but their resurgences could spell the end of Vancouver’s playoff hopes.

If St Louis and Chicago have turned back time, and it’s 2015 again, then even the top seeds (Jets, Flames, etc.) might be in a bit of trouble.

St Louis was always baffling. They by all accounts should have been doing better than they were.

A combination of bad luck and Tarasenko not yet 100% recovered from his shoulder surgery.

Chicago I have no clue. Toews decided to turn back time I guess.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
giphy.gif

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Canucks are literally being artificially boosted by Pettersson's historically high shooting %. If you take his SH% back down to a normal level, this team is easily in the basement in the West. Maybe not down below Ottawa, but I could see in the 48-50 point level. If anyone thinks this kind of SH% is sustainable...I don't know what to tell you. You're living in denial. And when that SH% regresses, the team as a whole will collapse.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Canucks are being carried by Pettersson and Markstrom.

It's kind of pissing me off because these two players are masking so many underlying problems, but also love to see these two thrive.

It's extremely bittersweet. I'm enjoying their successes, but deep down have zero confidence in the group that management has surrounded them as they are just beyond incapable of assessing talent and assembling a modern NHL team. It validates their bad decisions and empowers them to make more.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If we make the playoffs, I'll be happy for Pettersson, Boeser and anyone who's been here since 2015-2016 like Hutton, Markstrom and Horvat who have been through a shit ton of losing.

Don't wanna know what Aquilini is thinking if that happens though.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
was looking at Chicago's remaining schedule and how they are playing and would not be surprised to see them get to the playoffs. else I think they blow it in the final week.(if teams aren't resting players.)

26 games
6 against bottom 5 teams
6 against Canucks, Avalanche, Coyotes
2 more against nonplayoff teams
4 against Stars and Blues
8 against top 12 teams

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The Canucks are literally being artificially boosted by Pettersson's historically high shooting %. If you take his SH% back down to a normal level, this team is easily in the basement in the West. Maybe not down below Ottawa, but I could see in the 48-50 point level. If anyone thinks this kind of SH% is sustainable...I don't know what to tell you. You're living in denial. And when that SH% regresses, the team as a whole will collapse.
Just a honest question, This is not a bait post or anything.

Are you not at least a little bit excited that were in the hunt coming up to March.

I’m legitimately curious, no hate

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Are you not at least a little bit excited that were in the hunt coming up to March.

What's there to be excited about? Hoorayyy woooo!!! This bad team is in the hunt!!! Yay!!

Uh no. I'm not a simpleton. I recognize how awful this team is. I understand this team desperately needs new management. I understand this team badly needs an influx of top prospects and know that this management isn't going to actually start a rebuild, let alone finish one.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What's there to be excited about? Hoorayyy woooo!!! This bad team is in the hunt!!! Yay!!

Uh no. I'm not a simpleton. I recognize how awful this team is. I understand this team desperately needs new management. I understand this team badly needs an influx of top prospects and know that this management isn't going to actually start a rebuild, let alone finish one.
Fair enough

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

What a waste of time.

This is a poster who doesn't want the team to get better. His reasoning for being on teamtank is to get the manager fired. Why would you think being artificially in the hunt would excite him. He wouldn't be happy with the 1st overall pick if it meant Benning got an extension.

And just to say, I don't think highly of Benning either, but I want the Canucks to get good someday. I am hopeful for him to make better moves, I know I might get called a simpleton for this, but it is what it is.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What a waste of time.

This is a poster who doesn't want the team to get better. His reasoning for being on teamtank is to get the manager fired. Why would you think being artificially in the hunt would excite him. He wouldn't be happy with the 1st overall pick if it meant Benning got an extension.

And just to say, I don't think highly of Benning either, but I want the Canucks to get good someday. I am hopeful for him to make better moves, I know I might get called a simpleton for this, but it is what it is.

The Canucks will not get good under Benning. That's the whole point.

I would like climate change to magically stop happening, but unless something happens to fix the situation it's not going to stop.

Reactions: racerjoe

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Canucks will not get good under Benning. That's the whole point.

I would like climate change to magically stop happening, but unless something happens to fix the situation it's not going to stop.
If Benning cut bait on Sutter and Gudbranson, ended up with a top 2 pick and got Kakko or Hughes and was able to convince Mark Stone to sign on would you not hope that team does well?

I get it, I have a similar opinion about Benning's work to date, but is there anything he could do that would make you enjoy the team at all?

I couldn't give two craps about meaningful March games this year either, but will you again be hoping the team sucks and drafts busts again next year too?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
If Benning cut bait on Sutter and Gudbranson, ended up with a top 2 pick and got Kakko or Hughes and was able to convince Mark Stone to sign on would you not hope that team does well?

I get it, I have a similar opinion about Benning's work to date, but is there anything he could do that would make you enjoy the team at all?

I couldn't give two craps about meaningful March games this year either, but will you again be hoping the team sucks and drafts busts again next year too?
Welcome to team tank.

Jimbo needs to go.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
My opinion has much more nuance than just choosing one side of the fence. But if it's tank vs playoffs, I side towards tank.
Speaking for myself.

I need to see at least 3 years of consistent good decision making before my mind could be changed by this front office.

At least.

A good start would be if they somehow magically fixed all of their mistakes and dumped those that needed dumping and put a REAL GM in charge.

No more of this running this team like a EA sports 2015 computer game bull crap.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I guess my point is that I can separate my disdain for the GM from the real purpose of a team tanking, it's for high picks and a better future by the way.

That to me is different than hoping everything fails so the GM gets fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad