The Bulova hockey scoreboards

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Check back to Page 1, Post 7 in this topic ... I gave my recollection and others corrected it.

Pretty sure that game time counted up to 20 rather than down.

The penalty clocks were specialized.

The scoreboard was also adapted for basketball and boxing.

Reactions: Killion

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The Boston Garden clock was destroyed in 1967 - I saw it smashed in the storage area.

Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Providence and Buffalo had Bulova clocks and Mike Emrick told me Indianapolis had one as well.

I saw the Forum clock in operation at a box lacrosse game in 1965.

Montreal went digital in 1966 and the Bruins used the same company (Day Industries from Toronto) the following year and the Hawks also bought a digital clock from Day.

Montreal and Chicago would upgrade their boards in the 80's but the Bruins stayed with the 1967 model until the Garden closed in 1995. That clock lives in a Boston area mall in a food court.

Photo1.jpg
Awesome! Grew up in tge 70s so I missed the older clocks but always liked how different each clock in a arena looked. Never did get to see this beauty though, looks like a trip to Boston might be coming up soon. What mall?

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I find amusing the arrows that read "SCORE" and point to, well, the score. It's a score board, for goshsakes! But there's so much other stuff on it, they have to direct you to the score. I wonder if they added those to the design at a late stage, when somebody asked "But what's the score?"

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I find amusing the arrows that read "SCORE" and point to, well, the score. It's a score board, for goshsakes! But there's so much other stuff on it, they have to direct you to the score. I wonder if they added those to the design at a late stage, when somebody asked "But what's the score?"

In Boston they finally added a neon 12 to the clock so NBA coaches could read it :laugh:

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I just noticed that, for the most common version of the scoreboard ...

bulova-clock-jpg.121437

... nowhere does it show you the PERIOD, or the QUARTER (or HALF for college). Unless I'm missing it.

Seems strange. Now, if you're at the game, you're pretty much sure of that value, but it hurts the documentary value of a photograph. 0-0 with nine minutes to go on the clock ... is this just a slow first period, or a thrilling finish to the game pending?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I just noticed that, for the most common version of the scoreboard ...

bulova-clock-jpg.121437

... nowhere does it show you the PERIOD, or the QUARTER (or HALF for college). Unless I'm missing it.

Seems strange. Now, if you're at the game, you're pretty much sure of that value, but it hurts the documentary value of a photograph. 0-0 with nine minutes to go on the clock ... is this just a slow first period, or a thrilling finish to the game pending?

I never thought about that but you are correct.

snoris

Mar 7, 2012
On March 20, 1941, the Boston Bruins installed a new clock for the 1941 playoffs. It cost $40,000 ($ 641,412.08 today)

I am puzzled because this is not the same Bulova scoreboard the Garden used into the late 60's.

bg41-jpg.463353

10426189_10205314375951616_8720852156542548795_n.jpg
This was Bulova's first venture into hockey scoreboards. As far as I've been able to research, this was the only one of this configuration that made it into an arena. It apparently didn't work as well as planned. In 1942, Bulova came out with the model we're more familiar with that has the inner and outer penalty clock dials for each team. Boston probably got the first one, Chicago got its clock before the 1943-44 season began, and then Detroit, Providence, and Indianapolis got theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This was Bulova's first venture into hockey scoreboards. As far as I've been able to research, this was the only one of this configuration that made it into an arena. It apparently didn't work as well as planned. In 1942, Bulova came out with the model we're more familiar with that has the inner and outer penalty clock dials for each team. Boston probably got the first one, Chicago got its clock before the 1943-44 season began, and then Detroit, Providence, and Indianapolis got theirs.

Don't forget Buffalo and Los Angeles

6052ab7de52d7.image.jpg

snoris

Mar 7, 2012
Hi,
I need to recreate the Bulova score clock from the Detroit Olympia for scene in a movie. Can any of you fine people explain how the dials on the clock functioned? For example, the main game clock, did it count up to 20mins or down to zero? Also what are the two other team dials showing in this picture?
Many thanks!
View attachment 121437
The game clock ran clockwise. It was easier to read "12:47 played" than to try to look at the hands and subtract the number of long and short marks and think backwards to come up with time remaining. By the looks of the numbers on the penalty clocks, it appears that the hands on both the inner and outer part of the dial were just minute hands and ran counterclockwise.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

snoris

Mar 7, 2012
Don't forget Buffalo and Los Angeles
I think Buffalo got theirs a little later, more toward the end of WWII, unless some of the interior photos of the Aud I've seen are mis-dated. I'll check. With regard to Los Angeles, I had no idea that the Pan-Pacific Auditorium had one! You guys are such a great resource for these pieces of history....

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The game clock ran clockwise. It was easier to read "12:47 played" than to try to look at the hands and subtract the number of long and short marks and think backwards to come up with time remaining. By the looks of the numbers on the penalty clocks, it appears that the hands on both the inner and outer part of the dial were just minute hands and ran counterclockwise.

The penalty clocks in Boston ran clockwise and a green neon 2 would light up for a minor penalty.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

snoris

Mar 7, 2012
Boston Garden for the NBA

tumblr_nurzdzbTTa1qm9rypo1_640.jpg
Fenway, please fill me in, because I only saw a few Bulls' games at Chicago Stadium in their early years---but for NBA games, didn't the control panel allow the timekeeper to set the start of a period at the eight-minute mark so that when the clock started, there were 12 minutes to be played and the end of a period ended with both hands straight up?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins eliminated the Bulova markings at some point before 1960 and later painted Boston Garden where the watch company ad was.

When they installed the color TV lights at Boston Garden we discovered the board was actually a dark blue, not black. The Garden clock was replaced in October 1967 by a digital board from Day Industries from Toronto with the major difference was the Boston clock would not blink between seconds like the one at the Forum.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway, please fill me in, because I only saw a few Bulls' games at Chicago Stadium in their early years---but for NBA games, didn't the control panel allow the timekeeper to set the start of a period at the eight-minute mark so that when the clock started, there were 12 minutes to be played and the end of a period ended with both hands straight up?

In Boston, they wound up installing a neon 12 because NBA coaches could never figure the clock out. That was done for the 65-66 season after this happened.

6052ab7de52d7.image.jpg

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
The Boston Garden clock was destroyed in 1967 - I saw it smashed in the storage area.

Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Providence and Buffalo had Bulova clocks and Mike Emrick told me Indianapolis had one as well.

I saw the Forum clock in operation at a box lacrosse game in 1965.

Montreal went digital in 1966 and the Bruins used the same company (Day Industries from Toronto) the following year and the Hawks also bought a digital clock from Day.

Montreal and Chicago would upgrade their boards in the 80's but the Bruins stayed with the 1967 model until the Garden closed in 1995. That clock lives in a Boston area mall in a food court.

Photo1.jpg

wow. didn't know what it's ultimate fate was. I remember going to that last series at Boston Garden. They definitely tore some ads off it. I recall Fleet Bank and Dunkin Donuts

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
When I was young the Boston Garden had this clock which dated back to around 1940.

The same clock was at Olympia-Detroit, Chicago Stadium, Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo and the R.I Auditorium in Providence. There was also a one sided version at the old Boston Arena.

The Chicago clock lasted to at least 1971.

Anybody have more info on these clocks?

Please post a picture of the clock.

I should remember, as we had season's tickets to the Wings at the old Olympia.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have to say, I don't remember that.

I don't recall anything like the massive overhanging thing from the Garden you posted.

Most of the time, I tracked the score and time left on relatively minor "strips" affixed below the rafter seats (sic).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad