Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Buffalo tramples the Star

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
As someone who isn't great at the X's and O's of hockey, I can't believe that a team can change this much from a few solid roster additions and a new coaching staff. I mean, I wished and hoped and said it could change this much... but I don't think I really believed it. Was Phil really that bad?

Yes

In the defensive zone he had players in a man-to-man scheme, swirling around constantly behind the man with the puck. It amounted to huge shot totals for the other team, the team getting hemmed in the zone for long stretches, and too many tough shots for goalies. All the while tiring the team out and keep offensive players in their own zone.

Offensively, Not much has changed in the offensive zone. In transition, the Sabres' centers are coming back lower and helping out the defense. They are mixing passing, stretch passes, and skating out of the zone. It keeps teams on their heels and leads to less neutral zone turnovers.

Forecheck, the second man in pressuring the puck is forcing a lot of turnovers which leads to possession for the Sabres.

PK is the same Czech press formation, but with the play side defender and top forward pressuring a lot more.

PP is the same structurally, but getting Dahlin at the point, and Okposo off the first unit was helpful. And obviously having a shooter like Olofsson helps!

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
As someone who isn't great at the X's and O's of hockey, I can't believe that a team can change this much from a few solid roster additions and a new coaching staff. I mean, I wished and hoped and said it could change this much... but I don't think I really believed it. Was Phil really that bad?
Sadly the negative impact of destructive leadership is much larger than the positive from good leadership. Just getting rid of a bad leader is huge for performance and wellbeing.

Reactions: brian_griffin

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Yes

In the defensive zone he had players in a man-to-man scheme, swirling around constantly behind the man with the puck. It amounted to huge shot totals for the other team, the team getting hemmed in the zone for long stretches, and too many tough shots for goalies. All the while tiring the team out and keep offensive players in their own zone.

Offensively, Not much has changed in the offensive zone. In transition, the Sabres' centers are coming back lower and helping out the defense. They are mixing passing, stretch passes, and skating out of the zone. It keeps teams on their heels and leads to less neutral zone turnovers.

Forecheck, the second man in pressuring the puck is forcing a lot of turnovers which leads to possession for the Sabres.

PK is the same Czech press formation, but with the play side defender and top forward pressuring a lot more.

PP is the same structurally, but getting Dahlin at the point, and Okposo off the first unit was helpful. And obviously having a shooter like Olofsson helps!

Well put. Some players last year said they were confused on what they were supposed to do in the defensive zone and it would lead to glaring breakdowns. That mentally breaks you after a while and you lose trust in the system and the coach.

They have simplified positioning in the drone and Krueger has given them more freedom to be creative in the offensive zone. When Trotz went into Long Island he couldn't believe how bad the defensive positioning was. Simply moving where players were to be made a huge difference for them on their run to the playoffs. It looks very similar here.

Some coaches end up outsmarting themselves with systems and forget the basics of simple positioning and structure helping to create a successful system players can understand and execute.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Well guys continue to develop as well (Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin)... it’s just patience really, but yes coaching is huge in this league.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Better coaching+ another scoring line that doesn't need Eichel or Reinhart to produce+ a much better defense who can transistion the puck.
It was supposed to be rhetorical question ;)
That being said, nice crisp summary of what has been going here. I for one am prepared to enjoy this season.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Well guys continue to develop as well (Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin)... it’s just patience really, but yes coaching is huge in this league.
I honestly think the biggest reason is the defense can transistion the puck. I remember last year claiming the defense needed an overhaul because we had too many defensemen who had far too many brain farts. The additions of Joki and Miller have made life easier for the entire defense.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I honestly think the biggest reason is the defense can transistion the puck. I remember last year claiming the defense needed an overhaul because we had too many defensemen who had far too many brain farts. The additions of Joki and Miller have made life easier for the entire defense.
This is true, but on the other hand a lot of the "brain farts" were due to having no puck support (aka no easy outlet pass). That is, again, on coaching, and yes, Housley really was that bad.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
good:
got to catch most of the game at work (don’t tell my boss)

everything else

bad: I’m fully prepared to allow this team to hurt me in even more painful ways

Ugly: Lousley

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Could be I know they apparently loved him at the draft. NHL executives are notorious for liking a player based on their draft season and completely disregarding anything that happened after that. I still believe Alex will put up 40+ points a season when he finds his groove but that's not a trade you make.

He's gonna have to get in another game first. Chicago doesn't seem impressed with his effort either.

Hashbrown77

Apr 25, 2017
G: Its October
B: Its October
U: Its October

Yes this team looks fantastic right now.......if they play like this in Jan-Feb, then we're talking

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Seeing a puck make its way to space, and not automatically assuming that the other team will enter the picture seconds before a Sabre does, is a remarkable feeling.

Guys have certainly tuned in thus far. When one guy goes somewhere, the next guy behind him knows where to go and heads there. It’s on the forecheck, it’s in the D zone, neutral zone...it’s a significant difference than what we’ve seen.

does it last? Who knows. But it’s a lot more watchable, and it absolutely resembles professional hockey.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Great game. Even Sabotka and Scandella were excellent. Really liking the Girgs-Larsson-Okposo line. Okposo can’t shoot, so he’s learned to pass and it’s working well the past two games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad