The Buffalo Sabres: Worst team since....?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I don't think we're going to be in the running for worst all time (yet), but where we stack up is a question to consider.

- After 16 games (~20% of the season), we're on pace for 26 points. The 1974-75 Capitals had 21 points. I think, given the invention of the loser point in 2006, it would be fair to compare the two if we kept this pace.

- I don't think we'll keep this pace, but we still might be the worst in recent memory. To match the worst team since the introduction of the shootout (the 2006-07 Philadelphia Flyers had 56 points), we'd need 51 points in 66 games. That works out to a record of about 22-37-7. I think that would be pretty good from here, especially because the next half dozen games or so look brutal.

How bad is this team?

EDIT: At Brian Griffin's suggestion, here's your current "pre-shootout-adjusted points" tally under the old W-L-T points scheme.

'13-14 record = 24GP: 5-18-1 = 11pts

Old points scheme = 24GP: 2-18-4 = 8pts

'74-75 Caps were 8-67-5 for 21 points in 80 games.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't know how bad we will be...Who knows what the future holds, but I'm as excited to watch this team, as I was in 2002-2003.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I was sitting at work today thinking about how exciting it is to be building a young team that could be adding guys like Reinhart and/or McDavid in the next few seasons.

Why think about the present when you can prepare for an unlikely future instead?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Just for fun, I suggest editing the original post every 10 games or so with "pre-shootout-adjusted points" under the old W-L-T points scheme.

'13-14 record = 16GP: 2-13-1 = 5pts

Old points scheme = 16GP: 1-12-2 = 4pts (0 home wins, 1 road win)

(FYI '74-75 Caps were 80-8-67-5-21

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Sign more goons...At least make it entertaining if we are going to lose...Just like the Ted Nolan days...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I was sitting at work today thinking about how exciting it is to be building a young team that could be adding guys like Reinhart and/or McDavid in the next few seasons.

Why think about the present when you can prepare for an unlikely future instead?

Hopefully more likely than not! :laugh:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Why think about the present when you can prepare for an honestly somewhat likely future instead?

Corrected your mistake. ;)

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I whole-heartedly agree. Getting the 1st overall pick two years in a row, though? Quite unlikely. I'll take Draisaitl at 4 this year if we can get McDavid next year :p

You are a man of modest wants. :laugh:

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Sabres....worst team in history?

Yes I know the season is still early, but I was curious to see where the Sabres are, and where they are tracking, and how they compare to the worst teams in the history of the NHL.

Sabres are currently 3-15-1 with 7 points. I am going to assume they lose their next game against LA (which is likely) to give them a 3-16-1 record with 7 points in 20 games. Over an 82 games season they project to have a record of 12-65-5 and 29 points.

Where do they stand against the worst teams in NHL history?

3rd worst team....San Jose 11-71-2 for 24 pts in 84 games in 92/93 (expansion yr plus 1)
2nd worst team....Ottawa 10-70-4 for 24 pts in 84 games in 92/93 (expansion yr)
Worst team....Washington 8-61-5 for 21 pts in 80 games in 74/75 (expansion yr)

Buffalo as it stands projects to be the 4th worst team in NHL history. However you also need to consider that Buffalo has the benefit of being awarded points with OTL and Shoot out wins. If you factor that in their point total would be less than the 29 projected. It is also very conceivable that once they trade Ryan Miller and potentially Ott and Moulson they will in fact get worse the rest of the year. So Buffalo does have a legitimate shot at becoming the WORST team ever in NHL history.

Yes these are just projections, but a stark reality. Also interesting to note that 2 of the above teams were in their expansion year, and in the case after San Jose, were the year after expansion. So when you really factor all of that in....Darcy Regier and Terry Pegula have really accomplished a very rare feat. And to think they still don't think a change in management is required.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yes I know the season is still early, but I was curious to see where the Sabres are, and where they are tracking, and how they compare to the worst teams in the history of the NHL.

Sabres are currently 3-15-1 with 7 points. I am going to assume they lose their next game against LA (which is likely) to give them a 3-16-1 record with 7 points in 20 games. Over an 82 games season they project to have a record of 12-65-5 and 29 points.

Where do they stand against the worst teams in NHL history?

3rd worst team....San Jose 11-71-2 for 24 pts in 84 games in 92/93 (expansion yr plus 1)
2nd worst team....Ottawa 10-70-4 for 24 pts in 84 games in 92/93 (expansion yr)
Worst team....Washington 8-61-5 for 21 pts in 80 games in 74/75 (expansion yr)

Buffalo as it stands projects to be the 4th worst team in NHL history. However you also need to consider that Buffalo has the benefit of being awarded points with OTL and Shoot out wins. If you factor that in their point total would be less than the 29 projected. It is also very conceivable that once they trade Ryan Miller and potentially Ott and Moulson they will in fact get worse the rest of the year. So Buffalo does have a legitimate shot at becoming the WORST team ever in NHL history.

Yes these are just projections, but a stark reality. Also interesting to note that 2 of the above teams were in their expansion year, and in the case after San Jose, were the year after expansion. So when you really factor all of that in....Darcy Regier and Terry Pegula have really accomplished a very rare feat. And to think they still don't think a change in management is required.

They want to build through the draft, and have consistently said that the best way to compete is to acquire the players at the top of it. Why would they think they need a change in management if everything is going according to plan?

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
They want to build through the draft, and have consistently said that the best way to compete is to acquire the players at the top of it. Why would they think they need a change in management if everything is going according to plan?

Well, for one, the Sabres draft record for the last 15 years has been terrible. And of late their evaluation of pro talent has been horrible as well. You are kidding yourself if you think it is a good idea to allow the person in charge who created this mess, to fix it.

Yes I agree at this point the best long term solution is a complete rebuild with an eye on getting a potential superstars McDavid in 2015. I would just prefer to have a new GM and supporting staff in place to make those decisions.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It's not going to be close.

Right now, the Sabres are "on pace" for 30 points. The kids are improving slowly. I think that by the end of the season, we will look like a MUCH better team that what we currently are.

The mark that is in real danger to fall though is the 51 point mark that is currently the worst in franchise history.

I could easily see us only getting 45-50 points.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Well, for one, the Sabres draft record for the last 15 years has been terrible. And of late their evaluation of pro talent has been horrible as well. You are kidding yourself if you think it is a good idea to allow the person in charge who created this mess, to fix it.

Yes I agree at this point the best long term solution is a complete rebuild with an eye on getting a potential superstars McDavid in 2015. I would just prefer to have a new GM and supporting staff in place to make those decisions.

The last few drafts have gone right for us though. (Since New scouting process has taken place).
Everyone also always talks about having only one top 5 pick to draft under DR, with that person being vanek.

It's not rocket science, and I don't think DR is Not the right GM. At least not right now. Let him make his darth like trades, for miller and moulson. In the summer re-evaluate everyone in the front office (as they should every year).

Clock

May 13, 2006
Darcy Regier and Terry Pegula have really accomplished a very rare feat. And to think they still don't think a change in management is required.

At this point I just find it funny that there are those who still believe that the objective of this season was primarily to win games.

Time to acknowledge that this is a rebuild, people.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
What's the latest the bills have gone having more wins than the sabres during a season?

We probly arent close yet, with all those early 90s bills teams that would have 8-9 wins by now.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
The last few drafts have gone right for us though. (Since New scouting process has taken place).
Everyone also always talks about having only one top 5 pick to draft under DR, with that person being vanek.

It's not rocket science, and I don't think DR is Not the right GM. At least not right now. Let him make his darth like trades, for miller and moulson. In the summer re-evaluate everyone in the front office (as they should every year).

I do like the trades Regier has made to get some picks last couple years. But have to strongly suggest that he should be removed at the seasons end. New GM Needs time to assess draft needs, talent available, build scouting staff, and implement the plan.

And it is too early to say that the recent drafts 2010-2013 are good or bad. It's just too early. 2009 and prior.....not good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad