Confirmed with Link: The Buffalo Sabres have signed defenseman Oskari Laaksonen to 3 yr ELC

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
We shall possess all the right handed dmen. We will not be stopped.

This is starting to feel like some weird political Abbott and Costello bit.

"You said you wanted the defense to be all right"
"I said alright"
"I know, and now they are, all right"
"What about the left side"
"You said leftists are ruining the country"
"No the left side of the defense"
"You told me there are is no defense for the radical left"
"God damnit Jason, the defense is all right handed"
"That's what you asked for!"
"I said I wanted to be alright, not all right"
"You want the defense to be alt right? I can't condone that"
"NO"

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It was Jason’s plan for Pilut to leave for the KHL and his favorite depth of defense could be replenished again. :)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I can just see it now. Next year's D:
Ristolainen-Montour
Miller-Jokiharju
Laaksonen-Borgen
Sorry, Dahlin. Learn to shoot right or get out.
Well, we can still return Bogo for a minimal deal and play him instead of Borgen or Laaksonen, so that at the end of the season one of them leaves for the KHL. :laugh:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I can just see it now. Next year's D:
Ristolainen-Montour
Miller-Jokiharju
Laaksonen-Borgen
Sorry, Dahlin. Learn to shoot right or get out.

Not long ago, some rare beanie-baby stuffed animals took a huge jump in value. As a result, many households held on to their generic mass-produced beanie-babies that had been worn down, ripped, thrown up on, you name it. This is how the Sabres treat right-handed defensemen. Keep them around just in case one day there's a huge demand and the value increases.

That said, I'm excited to see what OL can bring to north america

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Seems to have went backwards in his production from the previous season based on the numbers. I haven't seen tape on the guy to gauge where he is. I do remember not being that impressed with him as others were during training camp. Will be interesting to see where his growth is, assuming they have public training camp sessions (doubt it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Seems to have went backwards in his production from the previous season based on the numbers. I haven't seen tape on the guy to gauge where he is. I do remember not being that impressed with him as others were during training camp. Will be interesting to see where his growth is, assuming they have public training camp sessions (doubt it).

From what I remember his tape this season wasn't all that great. It's covered in his prospect thread (Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves) but he fought injuries and a change in role this season.

Oskari Laaksonen was able to learn from success in 2018-19.
Still only 19 years old, Laaksonen played top-pair minutes and was a consistent cog on the power play with Ilves in the Finnish Elite League. He played a key role on a Finland team that won goad at the IIHF World Junior Championship.

This past season introduced lessons through adversity. A slow start led to a coaching change, which was then compounded by an injury that sidelined Laaksonen for more than a month. When he returned, his power-play minutes had been distributed elsewhere. He finished the campaign with 12 points (2+10) in 46 games.

Many people on twitter openly wondered if he was trying to play through injury when he came back. I'm hoping this past season was an outlier and a fresh start in Rochester could be good for him.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
From what I remember his tape this season wasn't all that great. It's covered in his prospect thread (Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves) but he fought injuries and a change in role this season.

Many people on twitter openly wondered if he was trying to play through injury when he came back. I'm hoping this past season was an outlier and a fresh start in Rochester could be good for him.

Thanks for that.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe Bryson, given that we only have Dahlin and McCabe on LD now, but Borgen? He is right-handed and we have four RD in front of him, although if Botterill finally deigns to trade one of the RD, then Borgen will have a chance.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Dahlin - Borgen
X - Joker
Bryson - Montour
Miller

Move McCabe, Risto out for forward help / draft picks. Sign UFA LD.

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
Botterill's plan was to build through Rochester and work js way up to Buffalo. Now we're starting to see the top talent come to Rochester.

Disclaimer I'm not saying its going to work. The doom and gloom is warranted unti the Sabres prove otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad