The Buffalo Sabres are in Free Fall

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
There's 9 teams, and have been fighting for 8 playoff spots.

Detroit, Ottawa, Devils, Florida, Rangers, Flyers are a damm mess. 10 points of more out of a WC spot.

Avs, Stars, Wild, Blues, Hawks, Oilers, Ducks, Coyotes, Canucks, Kings are bad to really bad teams. The only reason a couple of them will make the playoffs is because, well, someone has to.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Too thin up front still.

Mittelstadt and Thompson are big part of the future but they aren't there yet to be relied upon as strong top 9 players on a consistent basis.

Sheary isn't producing like you'd hope after a change of scenery.

Sobotka has 7 pts in 41 games while averaging 15 mins a game.

Okposo looks like a shade of his 50-60 point form.

Simple fact is the Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart magic played a huge part of their 10 wins, and will play a big part in any future hot stretch they might have. Without it they aren't very good yet.

And even if that line is clicking it's still no Avs or Bruins line.

This is actually not the situation. During the 10 game win streak Reinhart wasn't on the first line, Pominville was. Ever since Housley changed it we have sucked. With Reinhart down the line up we had some secondary scoring. Now we don't because Pominville is useless without Eichel and Reinhart (who can create on his own) is on the first line when he could be driving his own line. I don't have the graphic handy but statistically the sabres had a crash when Reinhart was moved to the first line, causing our secondary scoring to dry up.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I went over to look at some stats to see if this was bad luck or if their start had been unsustainable. The numbers hadn't been updated since Christmas but pointed to an interesting story.

8th last in shot attempts as a team
13th last in goals per 60 but 3rd last in exp goals

This is a glass cannon team, their start was them.overachieving.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Avs, Stars, Wild, Blues, Hawks, Oilers, Ducks, Coyotes, Canucks, Kings are bad to really bad teams. The only reason a couple of them will make the playoffs is because, well, someone has to.

How does that change that the depth in the East is garbage this season?

All the teams I mentioned are 10 points or more out of a playoff spot, non threats.

Last edited:

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
They need a goaltender and still need an upgrade on d. Still need to re-sign Skinner, or someone similar..

Buffalo really only has to worry about Montreal and they suck even more than Buffalo, so Buffalo should make the playoffs unless they really choke.
Actually they need secondary scoring the most.Their D is very good with the recall of Pilut.Dahlin will obviously get better , Risto is a beast, McCabe and Bogo are healthy and Beaulieu, Scandella rounds it out.I like Ullmark better than Hutton but Hutton would be great mentor.Our secondary scoring however is just simply awful.Okposo, Sheary, sobotka, Pominville see disasters.Mitts and Thompson will be fine but should be playing third line minutes.Botterill really dropped the ball on Oreilly trade thinking Mitts would be second line centre.Add to the fact that he won't trade pics for a rental and I don't see us making playoffs.Is our future bright? Definitely but we need seconds scoring in free agency till Mitts, Thompson, Nylander, Oloffson Smith, Asplund,Davidson see ready.One silver lining is lots of money off of books this year so see what Botts can do in summer

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Being 4th in the division means nothing. Then you have to worry about the Islanders, Carolina and the Habs.
Who ever gets in will be swept or out in 5 games no matter what.

Pretty much. Montreal needs better prospects, so I'm rooting for you guys.

Actually they need secondary scoring the most.Their D is very good with the recall of Pilut.Dahlin will obviously get better , Risto is a beast, McCabe and Bogo are healthy and Beaulieu, Scandella rounds it out.I like Ullmark better than Hutton but Hutton would be great mentor.Our secondary scoring however is just simply awful.Okposo, Sheary, sobotka, Pominville see disasters.Mitts and Thompson will be fine but should be playing third line minutes.Botterill really dropped the ball on Oreilly trade thinking Mitts would be second line centre.Add to the fact that he won't trade pics for a rental and I don't see us making playoffs.Is our future bright? Definitely but we need seconds scoring in free agency till Mitts, Thompson, Nylander, Oloffson Smith, Asplund,Davidson see ready.One silver lining is lots of money off of books this year so see what Botts can do in summer

For some reason I was under the impression Mittelstadt was doing well. Now that i look i see that he is not.

As for d, Beaulieu isn't very good and if Bogosian is your bottom pair, you're fine. If he's not, then you're in for trouble. I doubt he's improved from his previous years of mediocre, or worse play.

What happens if Skinner isn't re-signed ? Seems to fit in well there. Maybe it's because he decided to care, but as of right now seems solid.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Prior to this season Skinner has been a 0.35 G/GP forward. This season he's at a 0.68 G/GP pace with a shooting pct nearly double his past seasons. If he plays 80 games he's on a pace for 54-55 goals. No doubt Skinner is having a career year, at least regarding scoring goals. Is this sustainable the next few seasons? Even for this season? Similar past examples would answer the two questions: no and a qualified maybe. I have no idea what Skinner's contract status is w/Buffalo. If he cools off or leaves Buffalo, they're going to need to find a way to make up those goals or improve their GA.

As others have pointed out, their 10 game winning streak was suspect. I examined it. The 10 opponents on average were middling. 9 of the 10 wins were by 1G - 2 in reg, 4 in OT, and 3 in the SO :skeptic: Their best wins were 2-1 over Bolts and 5-2 over lowly Philly. To say that that was a fortunate winning streak is putting it mildly. Statistically speaking that was a very fortunate run.

I wouldn't be surprised they make the playoffs as a WC team - where they are currently.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Eichel hasn't played healthy in a while. Dahlin will only get better at an exponential pace, another top draft if they get one this year will only do them better this team is on the cusp of giving Tampa and toronto problems for a long time in the atlantic

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Pretty much. Montreal needs better prospects, so I'm rooting for you guys.

For some reason I was under the impression Mittelstadt was doing well. Now that i look i see that he is not.

As for d, Beaulieu isn't very good and if Bogosian is your bottom pair, you're fine. If he's not, then you're in for trouble. I doubt he's improved from his previous years of mediocre, or worse play.

What happens if Skinner isn't re-signed ? Seems to fit in well there. Maybe it's because he decided to care, but as of right now seems solid.
Bogosian has been very good and Belieau has as well but not going to hold my breath.Botts and Skinner talking extension now so hopefully gets done soon.I think Mitts will be fine but he is 19 no way he replaces Oreilly offence and two way play

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
This is actually not the situation. During the 10 game win streak Reinhart wasn't on the first line, Pominville was. Ever since Housley changed it we have sucked. With Reinhart down the line up we had some secondary scoring. Now we don't because Pominville is useless without Eichel and Reinhart (who can create on his own) is on the first line when he could be driving his own line. I don't have the graphic handy but statistically the sabres had a crash when Reinhart was moved to the first line, causing our secondary scoring to dry up.

Oh well, i guess the point still stands that those top guys have to produce like they did during that winning streak for the Sabres to win on a consistent basis. I think regardless whether or not Housley moves Pommer off the top line he probably isn't a guy you can rely upon to produce over all 82 games anymore.

Secondary scoring is an issue and something that will hold them back this year for sure.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Dahlin will only get better at an exponential pace

It would be funny if someone actually developed literally at an exponential pace. After five years he would be better than everyone else in the league combined. Buffalo would just play him and noone else.

Reactions: Irish Blues

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Finding a way to bring up the Leafs in a non-Leafs thread is now the HF equivalent to this.

c1d.jpg
This is phenomenal.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Bogosian has been very good and Belieau has as well but not going to hold my breath.Botts and Skinner talking extension now so hopefully gets done soon.I think Mitts will be fine but he is 19 no way he replaces Oreilly offence and two way play

That's the thing some Sabres fans and many non Sabres fans will think Mittelstadt is a bust because he isn't doing well this year

Beau kind of sucked defensively in Montreal and did alright offensively. Seems like your average dman.

Bogota playing well is a surprise to me. Seemed like that bottom pairing tough, shot blocking d you want, but not at 5mil

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Every team goes through hot and cold streaks. That's why you bank points early on. The fact is they are still only 2 pts out of 3rd in the Atlantic, which some would have laughed at the 44 game mark of the season when the season began. I think they have proven they are competitive. The Canes are an up and coming team, so last night's loss is anything but a free fall. Eichel was hurt for a spell but is back and should be back into form soon. The east is competitive and I see them battling out for a playoff spot for the remainder of the year. For a team that finished 31st last season, this has been a positive and not a negative year.

Reactions: Irish Blues

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
But Grinnelli told me they were a wagon
f*** I couldn't stand it when he was gloating non stop about us. It was clear he wasn't watching any of the games because if you did you knew the 10 game win streak was an outlier. A hot run from the top line and Hutton allowed that win streak to happen.

Reactions: Kallio

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
That's the thing some Sabres fans and many non Sabres fans will think Mittelstadt is a bust because he isn't doing well this year

Beau kind of sucked defensively in Montreal and did alright offensively. Seems like your average dman.

Bogota playing well is a surprise to me. Seemed like that bottom pairing tough, shot blocking d you want, but not at 5mil
Oh I agree everyone wrote Bogo off because of injuries and inconsistency myself included.We have a nice pipeline of defencemen coming thru the ranks in next couple years to replace Bogo and Scandella..Laaksonen,Samuellson,Guhle, Borgen, Bryson to go with Dahlin, Ridto, Pilut..McCabe.Iam in minority of Sabre fans as I would flip some first round picks for a Duschene we, have 4 first round picks in next two years.I think it would be beneficial for Eichel,SkinnerReinhart, Dahlin, Risto, Pilut, Mitts Thompson, McCabe Ullmark to get a taste of playoffs

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
They had amazing luck in their win streak, and amazing bad luck recently. They should contend for the wildcard this year, but thus is a learning year and they have a lot of holes. Their core is exciting though.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
After an inexplicable 10 game win streak the Sabres have won only 6 of 19 for a .316 record(win-loss only).Even if we include the 4 loser points, their record becomes .421. Just for reference the LA Kings in last place are at .411.
With a paltry 49 goals and a measly 17% PP in this time frame, does this team need a minor shakeup to keep in the playoffs or do they stay the course? Maybe they just need a different special teams coach,although their PK is quite good?

I’d just like to apologize to anyone offended by this Jets fan making a negative thread about another team, most of us are not like that.

Reactions: sabremike

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yet another PDO cautionary tale. Usually teams are worse than their win streaks and better than their losing streaks. Look beyond the magic and find the characteristics of play that teams are more likely to repeat in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad