The Buffalo Sabres are in Free Fall

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
They should intentionally tank again like they have done for the last 5 years. Maybe then will they make the playoffs with yet another lottery pick. Then another prospect will go to waste their prime years there.

Reactions: TML1990

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If only they were in the West they would be 6 points up in the wild card with a game in hand on the Ducks. lol

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Reality check.

They are gonna get slapped around in the playoffs by TB or wsh/pitt
Reality check. Tb, wsh, Pitt will end up being slapped around in the playoffs by tb wsh, Pitt. This is a nice improvement year for Buffalo. And even if they get slapped around in the playoffs, it a step in the right direction.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
They are back to where they hoped to be at the start of the season; fighting for a playoff spot. The team still has big holes in the roster and they will fill them. For now stay the course and keep those draft picks unless young talent is heading to Buffalo.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Auston needs to worry about breaking himself...don't gloat about an oft injured player...he has a tendancy of hurting himself...then comes the excuses....

Did you put any thought into this post at all?

Year 2: Eichel: 61GP
Year 2: Matthews: 62 GP

Year 3: Eichel: 67GP
Year 3: Matthews on pace for 68GP

Matthews also played 1 more game than Eichel in their rookie years. Pot calling the kettle black here.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Free Fall? Naw. Plenty of us here in the Eternal Land of Lake Effect felt they were, at best, a bubble team. My own expectations for success this year is between Wild Card and out of the bottom 10.

That winning streak was a bonus, but didn't change many of our opinions on the season.

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Auston Matthews broke the Buffalo Sabres, they haven't been the same since.

Finding a way to bring up the Leafs in a non-Leafs thread is now the HF equivalent to this.

c1d.jpg

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We won an insane amount of one goal games during the streak. Now we are losing them instead.
We scored 3 own goals versus the Hurricanes and still only lost by one while playing terrible.

Our GM traded away a 1C for cap dumps. Hard to recover from that.
It doesn’t help that our coach is worse than most hfboard posters when it comes to being obsessed with certain players.

You can always trust on Sobotka or Okposo to be out there when the game is on the line.
Sheary is complete garbage but he’s still on the PP2.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I assume this a reaction to the joke thread of "the Sabres are a top 5 nhl team" that everyone that wasn't a Sabres fan took seriously. The Sabres issues are that they have no secondary scoring on a consistent basis. It might pop up here and there, but overall, they have nothing. If they make the playoffs this year, great. If they don't, it's still gonna be a plus. Because they weren't last (assuming they don't go on like, a 25 game losing streak).

icanconfirm

Oct 18, 2015
Antarctica
What goes up must come down. Looking at past 3 of seasons, the sabers have a strong support at the 46-47 (wins here) games played mark. If they fail to hold there, we're looking at a possible 5 game slide so this key support needs to hold. Luck has it that the sabers play the oilers for their 46th game so I am expecting a bounce. I will be entering a long here, wish me luck.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Reality check. Tb, wsh, Pitt will end up being slapped around in the playoffs by tb wsh, Pitt. This is a nice improvement year for Buffalo. And even if they get slapped around in the playoffs, it a step in the right direction.

Is it though? because they did this once before going from 54 to 81 points and everybody got excited, then they went from 81, to 78, to 62 points, so you can say it's a step in the right direction, and it certainly looks to be, but they is a step they alright took once before and couldn't sustain it the next year.

Progress isn't breaking out one year and then taking 4 steps back which they did the last time.

Progress is breaking out and then Sustain it.

The Sabres have to Sustain it, they can't finish with say 85 points this year and then 75 next year .

Personally I think they HAVE to keep Skinner he has made a BIG difference

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
If they make the playoffs, they’re ahead of schedule. Maybe not next year, but soon enough this team will be dangerous. Just don’t pay skinner 10 million per year.

They've missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons and drafted Eichel in 2015.

I wouldn't say making the playoffs this year would be "ahead of schedule". Buffalo's pretty widely looked upon as being behind schedule.

Though I would say making the playoffs this season would exceed preseason expectations.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
They are still very green. I think clinching a wild card spot would be a huge accomplishment for this young team, and to expect anything beyond that (this year) is being naive.

They have a lot of young talent and some solid prospects. They have the potential to make a ton of noise over the next decade.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Too thin up front still.

Mittelstadt and Thompson are big part of the future but they aren't there yet to be relied upon as strong top 9 players on a consistent basis.

Sheary isn't producing like you'd hope after a change of scenery.

Sobotka has 7 pts in 41 games while averaging 15 mins a game.

Okposo looks like a shade of his 50-60 point form.

Simple fact is the Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart magic played a huge part of their 10 wins, and will play a big part in any future hot stretch they might have. Without it they aren't very good yet.

And even if that line is clicking it's still no Avs or Bruins line.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The depth in the East is so garbage that they'll still likely make the playoffs.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
They need a goaltender and still need an upgrade on d. Still need to re-sign Skinner, or someone similar..

Buffalo really only has to worry about Montreal and they suck even more than Buffalo, so Buffalo should make the playoffs unless they really choke.

Being 4th in the division means nothing. Then you have to worry about the Islanders, Carolina and the Habs.
Who ever gets in will be swept or out in 5 games no matter what.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
We are exactly where we should be, middle of the pack and in the playoff race. Goaltending and defense have been good, currently the lack of secondary scoring is by far our biggest downfall. The season is going about as well as we could have hoped, and in a couple seasons we are gonna be beastly.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I called and argued with Sabres fans on here. Their advanced stats during the 10 game win streak were bad and it was a fluke.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I mean if we are going to take a 10 game win streak out of the sample size and include the 5 game losing streak after.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad