The Bruins "Physicality" is Overblown. Let me explain why

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
so it has nothing to do with toughness.
Oh come on some stats are flawed, the hits I seen Boston throw put Leafs on their ass the leaf hits were probably rubs, the same as shots on goal perimeter weak shots count as well and there could be a whole slew to make it look like one team barraged the other.
I know what I saw and because Boston was aggressive, Mathews and Nylander 2 of our big stars and a few others totally disappeared under all the melee and were quiet.
Couple guys like Simmonds, Ferland etc type players who can play and contribute mixed with our skill would put a jump in every ones step making them re appear and be productive because it gives confidence and support.
Keep denying we don't need any sandpaper and it will cost many 1st round exits, I'd wager Mathews and Nylanders silence again when Boston tries to get physical and intimidate and then their skill guys take over, OH wait they have sandpaper and skill imagine that.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Signing Simmonds or Ferland wasn't possible because of the salary cap, face it, this is their team. The Leafs are a skilled team, not tough and there have been many successful teams with this style of play.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All true.
What are we gonna do when this stuff happens in game 1? Marchand runs Matty into boards and he goes down with a shoulder injury. No penalty based on what happened last year in game 1. We lose a guy for game or more. Do we just take it? This is what is very likely to happen. The team just plays on. Then Backes smashes Kadri into the glass. No penalty. Kadri comes up swinging his stick and it box for 2 minutes. Bruins score. Acciari, DeBrusk and Coyle start laying out Rielly behind the net again. Rielly gets hurt. Broken collar bone he is out for season. No penalty. Babs takes a bench minor for going after refs. Bruins score. Freddy loses it. Whacks Marchand his stick across his ankle. Freddy gets a game misconduct. This may happen at TD. It gets to be a circus in there especially when their fans start to cajole and egg their team on. We have no ability to police the situation. The refs are going to let the elbows and boarding go but call all the stick infractions.

It reminds me of how Canada would play the Russians in the 70s and 80s. We would hammer down on them physically. They would as Euros get the stick work going. Then it was just a question of how the ref was going to call the game.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I watched a game against Canes a couple nights ago. The Bruins got doing there Bruins thing. But Ferland steps on ice and destroys one of their guys. and then Backes steps on ice next shift and tries to take out Ferland. But big mistake Backes gets knocked out. Then game settles down. Ferland may have broken his hand but game settled down. The fans went silent. This is what a guy like Ferland does. He settles down the Canes bench and keeps everyone else on Bruins in place.

Reactions: unitedstars87

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What are we gonna do when this stuff happens in game 1? Marchand runs Matty into boards and he goes down with a shoulder injury. No penalty based on what happened last year in game 1. We lose a guy for game or more. Do we just take it? This is what is very likely to happen. The team just plays on. Then Backes smashes Kadri into the glass. No penalty. Kadri comes up swinging his stick and it box for 2 minutes. Bruins score. Acciari, DeBrusk and Coyle start laying out Rielly behind the net again. Rielly gets hurt. Broken collar bone he is out for season. No penalty. Babs takes a bench minor for going after refs. Bruins score. Freddy loses it. Whacks Marchand his stick across his ankle. Freddy gets a game misconduct. This may happen at TD. It gets to be a circus in there especially when their fans start to cajole and egg their team on. We have no ability to police the situation. The refs are going to let the elbows and boarding go but call all the stick infractions.

It reminds me of how Canada would play the Russians in the 70s and 80s. We would hammer down on them physically. They would as Euros get the stick work going. Then it was just a question of how the ref was going to call the game.
Like you said, 2 minutes into Game 1, someone will run Matthews' shoulder. Guaranteed. How will he react? Last year, he disappeared. This year? It's a real concern and I don't have an answer.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Signing Simmonds or Ferland wasn't possible because of the salary cap, face it, this is their team. The Leafs are a skilled team, not tough and there have been many successful teams with this style of play.
Not in the playoffs there aren't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh come on some stats are flawed, the hits I seen Boston throw put Leafs on their ass the leaf hits were probably rubs, the same as shots on goal perimeter weak shots count as well and there could be a whole slew to make it look like one team barraged the other.
I know what I saw and because Boston was aggressive, Mathews and Nylander 2 of our big stars and a few others totally disappeared under all the melee and were quiet.
Couple guys like Simmonds, Ferland etc type players who can play and contribute mixed with our skill would put a jump in every ones step making them re appear and be productive because it gives confidence and support.
Keep denying we don't need any sandpaper and it will cost many 1st round exits, I'd wager Mathews and Nylanders silence again when Boston tries to get physical and intimidate and then their skill guys take over, OH wait they have sandpaper and skill imagine that.

The frustrating thing about the analytics crowd is the fact that they don't watch the games, compile a bunch of stats and then try to reconstruct what actually happened in games through various statistical outputs usually to highlight how the narrative of the day is wrong and then get condescending and defensive at the notion that there are aspects of the game that haven't been quantified. Yes, empirical evidence is very important, but so is empirical observation, which often gets missed.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
agreed. and their skill and speed is way, way underrated.

also, physicality in general is way overblown.
You are correct on all points. I still think it would be nice if the Leafs amped up that part of their game pre playoffs. It's not hard to finish a check in the correct situation. One of the easiest things to do is play hard on the puck. I think it mirrors how much you want it. I'm not talking about lower end guys, but our top end guys tossing a big finish in to let other teams we may face ............... Bruins that we're going to equal them in that aspect of the game. Last years playoffs we were close to be honest so no need for everyone to worry. Our biggest problem last season in that third period was major gafs by our top players and folding after that. I hope a year of maturity for the boys will help against the same team, who in my honest opinion we should beat in seven...home ice advantage or not.. let's roll boys.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
The frustrating thing about the analytics crowd is the fact that they don't watch the games, compile a bunch of stats and then try to reconstruct what actually happened in games through various statistical outputs usually to highlight how the narrative of the day is wrong and then get condescending and defensive at the notion that there are aspects of the game that haven't been quantified. Yes, empirical evidence is very important, but so is empirical observation, which often gets missed.
Analytics are a great tool for evaluation but it should also be coupled with watching hockey games. Shift after shift is what matters long term. I like your spin.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
The best way for Toronto to combat Boston’s physical play would be with an absolutely terrifying power play. They have the personnel.
That would be the ideal situation. Maybe the PP heats up when it matters most. I have a hard time thinking we will have a ton of opportunities based on previous series. We should be lethal on the PP given our personnel as you've said but we need PP's to get that done. I feel it will be the same s*** in the playoffs.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
So it is not the fart that kills its the smell? (old bad Swedish joke, fart is speed smäll is hit or bang in Swedish)

You need as a team create momentum with the tools you master. Speed or skill or physical. But most of all dicipline when following the gameplan. If you dont buy the gameplan you will not win even if the gameplan sucks.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
They could beat them with pure skill but the team hasnt been playing 60 minute games lately. The Leafs only show up for the last 2 periods when they are down a couple of goals

Boston hasn't lost a game since January they've been playing with passion something the Leafs lack.

Leafs power play could help but I would bet money that the Bruins win the series

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's not about physicality. It's about grit. I think those are different. For example, guys like Crosby and Malkin. They are not necessarily physical, but they are gritty. They are willing to battle for the puck, block shots, go to the dirty areas.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What does it mean to be a Bruin?
What do you need to have in addition to skill to be one of 18?
If you don’t have it, or have a different mindset, you aren’t a Bruin.

Gone are the days of the big bad Bruins or broad street bullies but there is still an underlying identity to those teams.

What does it mean to be a Leaf?
What do you need to have in addition to skill?
Why do people here like Trevor Moore?

Last edited:

RLF

May 5, 2014
What does it mean to be a Bruin?
What do you need to have in addition to skill to be one of 18?
If you don’t have it, or have a different mindset, you aren’t a Bruin.

Gone are the days of the big bad Bruins or broad street bullies but there is still an underlying identity to those teams.

What does it mean to be a Leaf?
What do you need to have in addition to skill?

A huge contract?:sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah. This Tampa game is a good example of why a little physicality would come in handy when your skill is letting you down.

What are the advanced stats on sweep checks, flybys and and lame little poke check puck battles in the corner? Think a little muscle wouldn’t come in handy some time to win a battle once in a while?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
bruins' comeback in the final period of the series had nothing to do with toughness.

You may wish to re-assess this position when you see the kind of chaos the Bruins thrive on when they play with toughness.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Brad Marchand (Not intimidating at all but gritty none the less)
Charlie Coyle
David Backes
Chris Wagner
Sean Kuraly
Noel Acciari

Zdeno Chara
Charlie McAvoy
Brandon Carlo
Kevan Millar
what about DeBrusk ?

Ad

Upcoming events