News Article: The Bruins Most Favorable First-Round Matchup is…

While teams continue to battle for playoff positioning as we close in on the end of the regular season, the Boston Bruins are on cruise control and have a chance to clinch the Presidents’ Trophy this week. The Bruins’ regular season has been one for the ages, and it’s time now to begin focusing on the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs. With the season winding down, the Florida Panthers, New York Islanders and Pittsburgh Penguins all remained in the midst of the wild-card race. However, when looking at the Bruins’ season series against each of these clubs, one team provides the most favourable matchup for Boston.

Reactions: sooshii

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Agree. Penguins probably would be the "ideal" match up. Though I disagree with Florida being the least ideal. I think the least ideal would be the Islanders. They've been really good recently and Sorokin can easily steal a few games unlike Bobrovsky in my opinion

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Agree. Penguins probably would be the "ideal" match up. Though I disagree with Florida being the least ideal. I think the least ideal would be the Islanders. They've been really good recently and Sorokin can easily steal a few games unlike Bobrovsky in my opinion

Agree that the Islanders' could be a tough matchup but I wouldn't write off Bobrovsky for the Panthers. The thing with him is his inconsistency and the wide gap between his best and his worst. That best though is as good as anybody's. He has two Vezinas for a reason, and there will be Tampa players who haven't forgotten what he did to them in 2019. He's not the goalie he once was, but I think the potential for him to have a big series is still there.

I'd be confident of the Bruins' chances against Florida no matter what kind of service they get in net, but a Bob who is in form could certainly make it a harder contest. Equally, he could be terrible, but I wouldn't absolutely count on it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Pens are in 'Last Hurrah' mode which can make them dangerous. Personally, I want the Pens to miss the playoffs because it will hurt their owners' bottom line.

The beauty of the NHL First Round is a bottom seed over the years can advance. Unfortunately in Bruins history during my lifetime the B's have been the team upset. :cry:

We are hearing the B's will play at home on Marathon Monday night, April 17th against somebody.

I will be honest - I can't wait

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I'm pretty confident against either the Pens or Panthers. Not that any matchup is easy (no playoff matchup is . . except maybe Nashville with David Rittich). Both teams definitely have their stars that can make a big impact, but I think the Bruins can take care of them.

The Isles have been playing pretty solid and steady hockey for a bit now without Barzal. Barzal may be coming back soon and they by far have the best goalie of the 3 teams I mentioned. I would still take the Bruins over them, but I think they're the team we are most likely to be upset by. And I would deem us losing to them 2 years ago an upset so it wouldn't be new news.

Any team below those 3 would have to go on an insane hot streak and I rather not face a confident young team with nothing to lose come playoff time.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad