The brawl to end it all - 1987 WJHC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
This might be the greatest moment in WJC history.

It's so weird. It almost feels like a choreographed movie sequence.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
tommi462 said:
So the Russians only won 2 games, Poland and Switzerland, how the hell did they make it to the final in the first place?

That wasn't a "final", they played only a round robin tournament then and Canada vs. Soviet Union was last game of that tournament.

Beakermania*

tommi462 said:
So the Russians only won 2 games, Poland and Switzerland, how the hell did they make it to the final in the first place?
There was no playoff system back then in the WJC. I believe the playoffs came into effect in 1996 or 97. What they did before this was have every team play each other once in a round robin style and award the gold medal to the first place team, silver to second, bronze to third.

As far as this incident goes its a disgrace to russian hockey. The russians were already eliminated from medal contention and the canadians were gold medal bound. Unable to play "spoiler" by actually winning the game, the russians decided to incite a brawl and have the Canadians thrown out of the tournament.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Cloned said:
I don't mean to question you, as I was not there to see the game on TV live... but the commentator in the video REALLY doesn't sound like Brian Williams at all. I still think it's Don Whitman, but maybe Williams sounded like that in 1987. :dunno:

EDIT: Just googled up Brian Williams' and Don Wittman's profiles on CBC -- they don't say anything about Wittman doing the WJC and they note Williams has, so I guess Williams must be the guy in the video.
Not sure if it's Wittman or not, but it certainly isn't Willams. Williams was the in studio host with Don Cherry. I remember Cherry was about 2 seconds away from decking him.

As an aside. The brawl likely didn't cost Canada Gold. Canada was more than likely headed for the silver medal. Canada had to beat the Russians by a ton of goals in order to win the gold since Finland was well ahead on goal differential. Both Canada and Finland would have ended up with records of 5-1-1 but Finland had a much more high powered offense and had a goal differential of 22. Canada's was 14. So it's a myth that Canada was robbed of the Gold. As bad as the Russians were that year, they weren't going to lose by the amount of goals Canada needed to close the gap with the Fins.

Last edited:

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
This whole bench brawl could have been easily avoided if the referees had the slightest clue on how to deal with with fights. Their first reflexes was to split and go in different fights. Firts major mistakes. You'll never brake a fight by yourself. You have to work in team to bring the fighters over to the penalty box, then go on to another fight. You slowly brake all the fights that way. If a player doesn't want to go to the box, just warn him his friend is getting is ass kick somewhere and you won't go in until he goes in the box. That would have prevented everything i think, because players stayed on the bench for over 1 minutes. That's enough to brake 2 fights and have 1 or 2 broken by itself. So there is no more reason for the players to jump on the ice. They probably jum because one of their friend was getting his ass kick and no one was gonna go stop the other dude. Anyways if the exact same situation was to happen with today's officiating, nothing else would have happened.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Beakermania said:
As far as this incident goes its a disgrace to russian hockey. The russians were already eliminated from medal contention and the canadians were gold medal bound. Unable to play "spoiler" by actually winning the game, the russians decided to incite a brawl and have the Canadians thrown out of the tournament.

You say that like they had planned the whole thing. If the Canadians didn't want to fight, they didn't have to. Russians would've just gotten some penalties.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
tommi462 said:
By the way, why does that site list Canada with 41 points and USSR with 27 points?

Just a mistake. Those 41 and 27 are goals scored I think.

Sammy*

tommi462 said:
If the Canadians didn't want to fight, they didn't have to. Russians would've just gotten some penalties.
True enough. Doesnt mean thet didnt incite the whole thing though.

Sammy*

Cloned said:
I don't mean to question you, as I was not there to see the game on TV live... but the commentator in the video REALLY doesn't sound like Brian Williams at all. I still think it's Don Whitman, but maybe Williams sounded like that in 1987. :dunno:

EDIT: Just googled up Brian Williams' and Don Wittman's profiles on CBC -- they don't say anything about Wittman doing the WJC and they note Williams has, so I guess Williams must be the guy in the video.
No, Wiliiams was in the studio back in Canada with Cherry. He weasnt doing the play by play.
BTW, that Kerch guy sure scored alot for Russia. Was he ever any good over in Euro land?

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Personally, I think when the guards came out, they should have started firing their guns into the ceilling. All these big tough guys on the ice would have probably returned to the locker room with yellow stains in their pants.

I don't know if you're serious or not (you use a lot of hyperbole), but what would happen if some of the bullets ricocheted back into the stands or broke chunks off the ceiling that fell into the stands? You might injure or even kill some innocent people and start a general exodus to the exits (in which people might be trampled and seriously injured or killed), or you might cause a fear driven riot. Even the sound of the guns going off could cause a stampede or riot. Personally, I think firing guns in a building is about the dumbest thing that anyone could ever do (unless you have to shoot to kill/incapacitate to save lives).

MacDaddy TLC*

Psycho Joe said:
Not sure if it's Wittman or not, but it certainly isn't Willams. Williams was the in studio host with Don Cherry. I remember Cherry was about 2 seconds away from decking him.
One of the production crew had suggested during a commerical break that Cherry have his hands around Williams' neck when they returned to air. Cherry declined saying he likely wouldn't have let go. Williams kept using the word disgrace and an abviously upset Cherry had threatened him on air not to say it again. It was definitely one of the more captivating moments on CBC.
I can't remember the guy's name, but I think it was this big goofy dude CBC had working for them in the 70s and 80s that is heard on the video.

Here is a clip from the CBC archives: http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1459-9679/sports/don_cherry/clip2

Psycho Joe said:
As an aside. The brawl likely didn't cost Canada Gold. Canada was more than likely headed for the silver medal. Canada had to beat the Russians by a ton of goals in order to win the gold since Finland was well ahead on goal differential. Both Canada and Finland would have ended up with records of 5-1-1 but Finland had a much more high powered offense and had a goal differential of 22. Canada's was 14. So it's a myth that Canada was robbed of the Gold. As bad as the Russians were that year, they weren't going to lose by the amount of goals Canada needed to close the gap with the Fins.
There was a lot of game remaining. Canada had a lot of momentum at the time of the brawl. It wasn't too many goals they needed to score.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
MOGiLNY said:
I just don't understand the fascination with brawls.. Watching people fight and enjoying it is just not my cup of tea..

A goalie fight is one of the true wonders of nature.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The leading scorer for USSR Alexander Kerch played a few games for the Oilers in the mid 90s otherwise he played in many different leagues in Finland, Germany, Sweden, etc. He also went on to represent Latvia in a number of World Championships and the 2002 Olympics. Another player Galchenyuk played in the 91 Canada Cup and later played for Belarus in the 98 Olympics (where he met Fleury and Shanahan again). I hope that answers your question.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
jacklours said:
This whole bench brawl could have been easily avoided if the referees had the slightest clue on how to deal with with fights. Their first reflexes was to split and go in different fights. Firts major mistakes. You'll never brake a fight by yourself. You have to work in team to bring the fighters over to the penalty box, then go on to another fight. You slowly brake all the fights that way. If a player doesn't want to go to the box, just warn him his friend is getting is ass kick somewhere and you won't go in until he goes in the box. That would have prevented everything i think, because players stayed on the bench for over 1 minutes. That's enough to brake 2 fights and have 1 or 2 broken by itself. So there is no more reason for the players to jump on the ice. They probably jum because one of their friend was getting his ass kick and no one was gonna go stop the other dude. Anyways if the exact same situation was to happen with today's officiating, nothing else would have happened.
True, but the whole incident could have been avoided if the original 5 Canadians on the ice had refused to fight. No fights mean the whole imputus for starting the brawl in the first place wouldn't have occurred. Templeton should have told his players under no circumstances get into a fight since fighting automatically meant a game misconduct and Canada couldn't afford to lose any players if they hoped to score enough goals to win the Gold. If that had happened a couple of Russians would have gotten 5 minute majors and Canada would have had a hell of a powerplay and there would have been no bench clearing brawl. Yes the Russians sent the guys on the ice, but it never should have gotten to that point if Canada had played it smarter. Poor, poor coaching from Canada.

Michael Farber seems to echo my sentiment in the link provided by Mac:

Mayor of MacAppolis said:

Last edited:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Dave Latta had one hell of a tourney.

i was thinking the same thing...and...looking over past rosters, it really puts into perspective the concept of "prospect."

for example, on pretty much all of the "big" teams this year, everyone was lauding their success at the tournament and talking about how great they were going to be in the NHL...but nothing is assured. Looking back at even some of the top scorers in the tournament over the years...several went on to very mediocre NHL careers\minor league careers. It's one thing to dominate at a junior tournament, but it doesn't always translate to a good pro career. even recently...Daniel Tkaczuk is a good example. Marty Murray, etc...

MacDaddy TLC*

derbyfan said:
I'm 99% sure that's Don Whitman. But there is that 1% remaining... ;)
I'm pretty sure it was Don Wittman doing play by play. I am trying to remember some of the other CBC personalities of the 70s and 80s that the Colour commentator could have been. The only name that comes to mind is Ernie Affaganis (sp) and I don't think it is him. It may have been an old Hockey guy (former coach or manager hired as a Colour commentator for the tourney)

Psycho Joe,

You are happy that Michael Farber is echo-ing your sentiments? Remember this is the same bozo that works for S.I

Beakermania*

Psycho Joe said:

Don't know where you got your figures from but Canada only had to win by 5 to take the gold, not 8. Up 4-2 when the brawl happens with plenty of time left they had a very good chance to do it too.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Beakermania said:
Don't know where you got your figures from but Canada only had to win by 5 to take the gold, not 8. Up 4-2 when the brawl happens with plenty of time left they had a very good chance to do it too.
From here. http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/junior/1987/index.html

It appears they buggered up the columns, hence my error. You're right, it was 5.

Psycho Joe,

You are happy that Michael Farber is echo-ing your sentiments? Remember this is the same bozo that works for S.I
I agree with him on one level. Canada never should have gotten into the fights to begin with. If they had turned the other cheek the brawl would never have happened. I disgree with him on another. Once the Russians came on to the ice and the Canucks were largely outnumbered, the rest of the team had no other choice but to defend their mates. The 5 players orginally on the ice for Canada f'd up.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
derbyfan said:
I'm 99% sure that's Don Whitman. But there is that 1% remaining... ;)

Good to know my first assumption/guess seems to be correct...

Now, does anyone know who the colour commentator was? :dunno:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Cloned said:

Sorry, my bad. I was thinking about the studio work with Cherry.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Epsilon said:
This was one of the most disgraceful incidents in hockey history. It really speaks to the neanderthalish attitudes of many hockey fans that they enjoy this nonsense and get all pissy over Ovechkin pointing to his jersey.

It's also the same who have proud in the summit series where violence reach a new high in sports when Bobby Clarke & other canadians players needed to INTENTIONNAL INJURED the 3 BEST SOVIETS players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->