The brawl to end it all - 1987 WJHC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Double thread ... this was already brought up here less than a month ago.

candon

Jan 5, 2005
What I find amusing is that Peter Forsberg recently said that Canada has too much influence on the International Tourneys and that if it was anyone but a Can that had drilled him from behind they would have benn suspended blah ;ah frakin blah. Luv FOPPA as a player but he often sounds to me like he has a screw loose when he comments on this kind of thing. I wonder what would have happened if Canada had pulled that crap on USSR. It was overt cheating IMO and they should have been suspended for the next Tourney. Can you imagine the hue and cry if we pulled that ****e? Cripes

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This was one of the most disgraceful incidents in hockey history. It really speaks to the neanderthalish attitudes of many hockey fans that they enjoy this nonsense and get all pissy over Ovechkin pointing to his jersey.

flamesforevah

Feb 29, 2004
Does anyone know who the commentators were? The voices sound familiar but I just can't pinpoint it.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Psycho Joe said:

Wow, a brilliant response.

Personally, I think when the guards came out, they should have started firing their guns into the ceilling. All these big tough guys on the ice would have probably returned to the locker room with yellow stains in their pants.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
flamesforevah said:
Does anyone know who the commentators were? The voices sound familiar but I just can't pinpoint it.

I think one is Don Whitman. :dunno:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Behind Enemy Lines said:
Nope. Brian Williams in one of the worst and most embarrassing efforts ever. His broadcast was truly shameful.

I don't mean to question you, as I was not there to see the game on TV live... but the commentator in the video REALLY doesn't sound like Brian Williams at all. I still think it's Don Whitman, but maybe Williams sounded like that in 1987. :dunno:

EDIT: Just googled up Brian Williams' and Don Wittman's profiles on CBC -- they don't say anything about Wittman doing the WJC and they note Williams has, so I guess Williams must be the guy in the video.

Last edited:

soilwork2004

Nov 18, 2004

Epsilon said:
Wow, a brilliant response.

Personally, I think when the guards came out, they should have started firing their guns into the ceilling. All these big tough guys on the ice would have probably returned to the locker room with yellow stains in their pants.

Ya! You are really cool! :shakehead :shakehead

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Here's the roster and stats from the '87 USSR Jr. team:

D Vladimir Konstantinov 6gp 1-4=5 pts 8pm
D Dmitriy Tsygurov 6gp 1-2=3 pts 2pm
D Andrey Smirnov 6gp 1-2=3 pts 8pm
D Igor Monayenkov 6gp 1-0=1 pts 8pm
D Vladimir Malakhov 6gp 0-0=0 pts 4pm
D Vadim Musatov 6gp 0-0=0 pts 10pm
F Aleksandr Kerch 6gp 6-2=8 pts 20pm
F Pavel Kostichkin 6gp 4-1=5 pts 10pm
F Aleksandr Mogilny 6gp 3-2=5 pts 4pm
F Sergey Shesterikov 6gp 2-2=4 pts 0pm
F Yevgeny Davydov 6gp 3-0=3 pts 4pm
F Valeri Zelepukin 6gp 2-1=3 pts 4pm
F Valeri Popov 6gp 0-3=3 pts 4pm
F Sergey Osipov 6gp 0-3=3 pts 0pm
F Anton Zagorodniy 6gp 1-1=2 pts 6pm
F Aleksandr Galchenyuk 6gp 1-1=2 pts 8pm
F Dmitriy Medvedev 6gp 1-0=1 pts 2pm
F Sergey Fedorov 6gp 0-0=0 pts 8pm
G Valeri Ivannikov 6gp 20 GA
G Vadim Privalov 1gp 0 GA

Coaches: Vladimir Vasilyev,
Valentina Gureyev

Note: statistics do not take into account match with Canada.

USSR-POLAND - 7:3 (3:2, 3:0, 1:1) Kostichkin-2, Galchenyuk, Davydov, Mogilny, Zelepukin, Kerch

USSR-SWITZERLAND - 8:0 (2:0, 4:0, 2:0) Kerch-2, Shesterikov-2, Kostichkin, Medvedev, Davydov, Zagorodniy

USSR-FINLAND - 4:5 (2:3, 0:1, 2:1) Kerch, Mogilny, Tsygurov, Zelepukin

USSR-CZECHOSLOVAKIA - 3:5 (0:2, 1:2, 2:1) Mogilny, Konstantinov, Smirnov

USSR-SWEDEN - 3:3 (1:2, 0:0, 2:1) Kerch, Kostichkin, Davydov

USSR-USA - 2:4 (1:1, 1:1, 0:2) Kerch, Monayenkov

The final match of USSR-CAN was interrupted, when time clock showed 33 minutes and 53 seconds of playing time, with score 4:2 in favour of Canadians, because of fighting on ice in which participated players of both commands.

On the solution of IIHF, the commands of USSR and CAN were both disqualified and remained without places in the total qualification. At the same time, the results of other matches with their participation are left valid.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
So the Russians only won 2 games, Poland and Switzerland, how the hell did they make it to the final in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad