The Brandon Dubinsky expectations thread

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Dubi is going to have a good year . Looking back at photos of him , he definitely put on weight over the years , and it appears he realized that

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Brandon Dubinsky Buyout Details

Cost Calculations

BUYOUT DATEBASE SALARY REMAININGS.BONUS REMAININGYEARS REMAININGBUYOUT LENGTHAGEBUYOUT RATIOTOTAL COSTTOTAL SAVINGSANNUAL COST
Jun 15, 2019$11,700,000$024332/3$7,800,000$3,900,000$1,950,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Cap Hit Calculations

SEASONBASE SALARYINITIAL CAP HITACTUAL COSTSAVINGSFINAL CAP HIT
2019-20$5,850,000$5,850,000$1,950,000$3,900,000$1,950,000
2020-21$5,850,000$5,850,000$1,950,000$3,900,000$1,950,000
2021-22$0$0$1,950,000-$1,950,000$1,950,000
2022-23$0$0$1,950,000-$1,950,000$1,950,000
TOTAL$11,700,000$11,700,000$7,800,000$3,900,000$7,800,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Usage.

Give him Wennberg's ice time and see how many points he puts up, since that all some people want to give value to. Not just pure minutes, I'm talking same situations, matchups and line mates.

He's still our best PKer and our best faceoff guy on a not very good faceoff team. So much so that he's used in a very unique/rare situation of "designated faceoff man". Just a couple weeks ago he won a draw in overtime that LED DIRECTLY to the team WINNING.

How many times this year has the team scored or been scored upon JUST AFTER a offensive zone faceoff??

I hear it as an excuse for other guys, but if the team isn't having trouble scoring, and Dubinsky isn't "asked" to put up points, then how is he hurting the team?

Reactions: SuperGenius

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Usage.

Give him Wennberg's ice time and see how many points he puts up, since that all some people want to give value to. Not just pure minutes, I'm talking same situations, matchups and line mates.

He's still our best PKer and our best faceoff guy on a not very good faceoff team. So much so that he's used in a very unique/rare situation of "designated faceoff man". Just a couple weeks ago he won a draw in overtime that LED DIRECTLY to the team WINNING.

How many times this year has the team scored or been scored upon JUST AFTER a offensive zone faceoff??

I hear it as an excuse for other guys, but if the team isn't having trouble scoring, and Dubinsky isn't "asked" to put up points, then how is he hurting the team?

some fair points.....I do not believe He's our best on the PK
hopefully someone in the organization steps up next year and can help with the lack of offense
from the 3rd and 4th line (and second line some nights)

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Usage.

how is he hurting the team?

oh, I don’t know.. maybe because he’s getting paid nearly 6 million dollars to put up 9 goals, 26 points over his last 92 games. His contract alone is hurting the team. if you think Dubinsky is worth nearly 6 mil in cap hit, I got nothing for ya bud.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I had low expectations for Dubi and aside from the first few weeks, I would have to say he's managed to limbo under even my low bar. If given more minutes, I'd expect to see no increase in scoring but a definite increase in penalty minutes. If he were making Riley Nash money, I'd find it disappointing; that he makes almost $6M I find it appalling.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I had low expectations for Dubi and aside from the first few weeks, I would have to say he's managed to limbo under even my low bar. If given more minutes, I'd expect to see no increase in scoring but a definite increase in penalty minutes. If he were making Riley Nash money, I'd find it disappointing; that he makes almost $6M I find it appalling.

Don’t forget a significant decrease in his +/-. It’s already quite awful with his limited minutes. He’s truly a liability on the ice.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If we didn't have Dubinsky we'd want to go out and get a Dubinsky like player. But that guy would cost like $1m per.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
how is he hurting the team?

oh, I don’t know.. maybe because he’s getting paid nearly 6 million dollars to put up 9 goals, 26 points over his last 92 games. His contract alone is hurting the team. if you think Dubinsky is worth nearly 6 mil in cap hit, I got nothing for ya bud.

measuring Dubinsky by goals and assists is like measuring your post by how well you summarized the Elizabethan Era.

I think we can all agree that the contract sucks at this point. At the same time, he brings value in many ways. It will be interesting to me to see how he does down the stretch, particularly if he is put into some different situations to try to solve the Wennberg problem.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Guys wont learn will ya.

With or without the goal :)whatever:), tonight was a perfect example of what Dubinsky brings to the team. With faceoffs being a big art of it, Dubinsky and Jenner are our best 2 PK forwards. Defensively, not offensive/defensive threat like Atkinson. And, this is the 2nd game in a couple weeks that we scored DIRECTLY off a Dubinksy faceoff win in OT.

He plays the vast majority of minutes with Nash and Hannikainen. That trio or even 2 of those guys together is not gonna be much of a threat very often. Then do all seem to embrace the north-south/crash and bang style, but almost TOO MUCH, imo. It does work or them though.

You guys also seem to not understand that he was an UFA when he signed that contract. Look at where we are with Panarin. Look at the money/contracts MOST OTHER UFA's get. For a lot of guys, Dubinsky included, it is their 1 and "only" "big" contract. A lot of guys get "underpaid" for the beginning of their careers and then "overpaid" near the end.

Your full of shit if you think Dubinsky would get signed for 1 million a year right now in UFA.

Closer to 3.5-4, and if given better opportunities/better line mates on the "2nd" line with 1 or both of Anderson and Jenner, he could easily put up more point and "add" to his value.

Bench Wennberg. Sit Hannikainen. Bring/keep Robinson and Sedlak in and play them with Nash on the 4th line. And move Dubi up.

Profit.

Can not wait for the Dubinsky series clinching OT goal.

Pittsburgh, Washington or Toronto? Broiled, baked or fried?

Reactions: SuperGenius

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Your full of **** if you think Dubinsky would get signed for 1 million a year right now in UFA.

Closer to 3.5-4, and if given better opportunities/better line mates on the "2nd" line with 1 or both of Anderson and Jenner, he could easily put up more point and "add" to his value.

Thanks for the laugh.

Reactions: Palm Tree

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Dubinsky now has more than twice the goals of Nash and Pooh combined. Plus he also wins crucial faceoffs, like at the start of on OT period. With a little more playing time Dubie could pot 10 goals by seasons end, be the key man in the faceoff circle during critical points in the game and play all around strong defense. There is still a role for Dubie on this team much like there was for DMac a few years ago.

As for Pooh, he may score 3 goals this year, lose 58% of his faceoffs and play ok non-contact defense.

I take Dubie over Pooh any day. If there is a buy out coming, make it Pooh.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Dubinsky now has more than twice the goals of Nash and Pooh combined. Plus he also wins crucial faceoffs, like at the start of on OT period. With a little more playing time Dubie could pot 10 goals by seasons end, be the key man in the faceoff circle during critical points in the game and play all around strong defense. There is still a role for Dubie on this team much like there was for DMac a few years ago.

As for Pooh, he may score 3 goals this year, lose 58% of his faceoffs and play ok non-contact defense.

I take Dubie over Pooh any day. If there is a buy out coming, make it Pooh.

I was going to applaud your ability to separate contract from contribution. Then you kept talking.

Nevermind the minutes, on a per minute rate Dubinsky is one of only a few players who are markedly behind Wennberg in scoring. Dubinsky gets scored on more than Wennberg, and somehow has a lower faceoff win % since Dec. 1st. Wennberg good at faceoffs lately? The things you discover when you actually check the numbers!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was going to applaud your ability to separate contract from contribution. Then you kept talking.

Nevermind the minutes, on a per minute rate Dubinsky is one of only a few players who are markedly behind Wennberg in scoring. Dubinsky gets scored on more than Wennberg, and somehow has a lower faceoff win % since Dec. 1st. Wennberg good at faceoffs lately? The things you discover when you actually check the numbers!

I changed the time period to since 12/15 and Dubi is back in front re: faceoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->