OT: The Booze Thread

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I notice other boards have a thread dedicated to booze or just beer. Let's give it a try. Discuss anything booze related here including if you got drunk at an event or if you woke up the next morning and notice she didn't look as pretty when you took her home from the bar. :D:D

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My roomates and I have been in a constant debate for the past year or so.... which of the big 3 light beers is the best?

Bud, Miller, or Coors?

But when it comes to weird stuff, I tried Papago Brewing's Orange Blossum a few months ago. Kinda makes me feel like a bitch drinking it, but damn it's good. Also tried a Mexican beer called Bohemia... highly reccomend if you ever get the chance.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Actually going to attend a beer & whiskey festival/fair this evening, before tuning in to the Vegas game at 3 am. Hopefully gonna find me some new favorites. :cheers:

Mostly looking for IPAs or American Pale Ales

Last edited:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
My roomates and I have been in a constant debate for the past year or so.... which of the big 3 light beers is the best?

Bud, Miller, or Coors?

But when it comes to weird stuff, I tried Papago Brewing's Orange Blossum a few months ago. Kinda makes me feel like a bitch drinking it, but damn it's good. Also tried a Mexican beer called Bohemia... highly reccomend if you ever get the chance.

Papago is one of my favs on draft. Sonoran White Chocolate Ale is also brilliant. Both local too.

And ...Hmm I don't usually hit the light beers but I lean Coors or Miller out of those 3 I think.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm not really a huge beer person, so when I drink it I don't really care what it is too much. I prefer ciders, ace makes an awesome pineapple cider. For anything harder I stick to vodka for the most part, grey goose being my favorite, or whipped cream smirnoff if I'm looking to make creamsicle style screwdrivers. Irish coffee is great too, as is barenjager in hot spoke cider.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I like beer fine. What I really love is Whisk(e)y of all kinds. I like cheap whisk(e)y and expensive whisk(e)y. I like it from Scotland, Ireland, America and Japan. I like it smoky, sweet, spicy and everything in between. Though I'm not too choosy about what's in the glass, I do require it to be neat and slightly cool.

Some of my overall favorites:
1. Hakushu 12yr (Japan)
2. Oban 14yr (Scotland)
3. Lagavulin 16yr (Scotland)
4. Redbreast 12yr (Ireland)
5. Four Roses Single Barrel (Kentucky)

Some of the best bargain bin values:
1. Teacher's Highland Cream (Scotland)
2. George Dickel No. 12 (Tennessee)
3. Suntory Toki (Japan)***
4. Power's Gold Label (Ireland)
5. Rittenhouse Rye (Kentucky)
6. Monkey Shoulder (Scotland)
***price recently jacked way up most places

Reactions: samabam

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Cider is also pretty good. Easy to drink and refreshing.

I must say I am open to try many different types of bev! Tequila I used to not be able to stand but last couple of sips I have had allowed me to not feel terrible so maybe one day I will also sample that lol.

Mains for me... Whisky, Rum, Gin. Scotch if it's good. And yes, beer when it's called for!

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
That's a good list RT. 4 Roses single barrel is legit for the price. It seems we have a similar love for the Whisk(e)y.

Looks like your list has several types I haven't tried yet that need to be added to my list!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Mostly a craft beer guy these days. British Columbia is a haven for local breweries. Too many I like to name favourites but I do really enjoy rye beers in the fall.

Reactions: Dasyotesfan92

Dasyotesfan92

Oct 3, 2017
1. Elysian- Space Dust IPA. Washington
2. Four peaks- Hop Knot
3. Heineken. Holland
4. Red Stripe. Jamaica
5. Rainier. Washington
I am more of a local brew type. I been to quite a few states. Washington state has alot of tasty local brews.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The last time I had a wild ride with booze was in December '09. I was at Nevada Smith's in NYC attending a World Cup 2010 draw party hosted by the Empire Supporters Club. My friend was a member so we had access to the party. Free booze and the drinks kept coming. I ended up meeting Landon Donovan drunk. Interviewed by Headline News drunk and vomiting on 3rd Ave. Almost passed out at a kebob joint later that day.

Attended a hockey game, Devils v Red Wings, the next day with a hangover.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't drink, so this will be my first and last post on this thread. Cheers :cheers:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think they're interchangeable but when given the choice I usually go with Coors Light.

If I'm looking to tie one on I usually follow this simple approach...
1. Coors Light
2. Shot
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Living in Bavaria, I recently started to test out some of the many, many little local Breweries. They don't try their hands on any craft beer, they just brew some very regular different kinds of beer, but I'm very amazed by how different beers of the same variety can taste. I have tasted some really bad ones and some really good ones but so far I don't regret a particular visit to a local brewery.
If I'm by myself, I'm like rt, Whiskey for me.
Right now I prefer a Lagavulin Distillers Limited Edition my friends gifted to me, but thats not an everyday Whiskey, usually I drink a Laphroiag.

Reactions: rt

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
3. Suntory Toki (Japan)***

***price recently jacked way up most places

Oh yeah, I noticed that, it's a shame because I only learned about this Whiskey recently, it's a little smoother than I usually like but it's good enough, but when I wanted to buy a bottle for myself I was put off by the price

rt

May 13, 2004
Oh yeah, I noticed that, it's a shame because I only learned about this Whiskey recently, it's a little smoother than I usually like but it's good enough, but when I wanted to buy a bottle for myself I was put off by the price
I enjoy the heavily peated whiskies like Laphroaig and Lagavulin quite a bit. More often, I find myself reaching for whiskies that are just mildly peated. Like Toki or Oban or Highland Park, etc. I like more than a "hint" of peat smoke. A definite peat smoke quality but not necessarily being the dominant flavor of the drink.

rt

May 13, 2004
Mostly a craft beer guy these days. British Columbia is a haven for local breweries. Too many I like to name favourites but I do really enjoy rye beers in the fall.
Lately I've been finding myself going for easily accessible (in the supermarket) beer flavored beers. I've pulled way back from the whacky Devil's Neck Punch Skull f***ing Bastard Tropical Rye Hopped IPA Mocha Stout Bourbon Cask Finished Twenty Fice Dollar Bottles of beer.

I found like Sierra Nevada Pale ale a lot. Same little green bottle I've been seeing around at every bar and restaurant for 15yrs. I found I like a good old fashioned Guinness with a meal. Something to wash food down with that's tasty and mild and uncomplicated.

Bell's Brewery in Michigan makes great beer flavored beers. I'm starting to see more of a variety in supermarkets too. Their Two Hearted Pale Ale is a very nice just regular beer. Their Oberon Wheat is a another example of a damn fine just plain Wheat beer. Doesn't have to have gooseberries, allspice, and be aged in Sauvignon Blanc barrels. It can just be a Wheat beer.

That's where I'm at with beer. I want it simple and tasty and available where groceries are sold.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
I enjoy the heavily peated whiskies like Laphroaig and Lagavulin quite a bit. More often, I find myself reaching for whiskies that are just mildly peated. Like Toki or Oban or Highland Park, etc. I like more than a "hint" of peat smoke. A definite peat smoke quality but not necessarily being the dominant flavor of the drink.
I dont really like Oban or Toki, but the best Whiskey I ever drank was a Highland Park, my sister gifted it to me as a graduation gift
Highland%20Park%20Thor-bottle-and-box.jpg

The best Whiskey I ever tasted

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I dont really like Oban or Toki, but the best Whiskey I ever drank was a Highland Park, my sister gifted it to me as a graduation gift
Highland%20Park%20Thor-bottle-and-box.jpg

The best Whiskey I ever tasted
I want it just for the packaging (cue my viking ancestry)!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad