The Board-To-Board Mock: Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Ensane said:
A concern did pop in to my head when thinking about this all...

How are you going to deal with players who may never play again? Lemieux, Forsberg, Yzerman, Allison, Deadmarsh.....all may have played their last days in the NHL. Some, if not many teams will be reluctant to pick up these players (yes, I know Forsberg was already drafted) since their values would be dimished greatly in a real draft of this sort.

The concern arises from how they would be applied to an FHL/EHM simmed season. Even if you set Lemieux and Lindros' injury resistance to the lowest, they're still bound to score a high amount of points; a point total that most likely neither would ever hit again in their careers. For instance, if Pittsburgh knew they'd get a solid 80 points out of Lemieux this first season (even if the sim retires him the next year) they might have kept him; or conversely, one of the top drafting teams might've nabbed him already.

Hopefully that makes sense.

obviously SIM can't emulate reality 100%... and I know in most sims, even with durability set low, players have a chance of playing most of the games during the year (although I've seen some long injuries too)...

just have to chalk it up as one last great year by the player before he retires I guess ;)

we should retire players in the SIM as they retire in the NHL though.... maybe the season after they announce their official retirement :dunno:

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
nuckfan in TO said:
obviously SIM can't emulate reality 100%... and I know in most sims, even with durability set low, players have a chance of playing most of the games during the year (although I've seen some long injuries too)...

just have to chalk it up as one last great year by the player before he retires I guess ;)

we should retire players in the SIM as they retire in the NHL though.... maybe the season after they announce their official retirement :dunno:
Obviously it depends on how far this goes, but then it puts a much lower emphasis on younger players. Like I could see Ron Francis and Scott Stevens for instance going ahead of guys like Tyler Arnason and Paul Martin just for the fact that in a sim they're almost guaranteed to produce more in the next year (or more).

Just possible concerns about keeping the reality level up on this one.

TVanek26*

Ensane said:
Obviously it depends on how far this goes, but then it puts a much lower emphasis on younger players. Like I could see Ron Francis and Scott Stevens for instance going ahead of guys like Tyler Arnason and Paul Martin just for the fact that in a sim they're almost guaranteed to produce more in the next year (or more).

Just possible concerns about keeping the reality level up on this one.

Well if your using a sim like Eastside,you would edit the ceilings of Stevens and Francis to detoriate over the season.

slosharksfan*

Dec 30, 2003
Chico
why not do both? a sim and a pool, the sim keeps the picks hounist about their teams, and the pool is easier to follow, plus it creates interes in games that some people wouldent normally wach, which makes everyone involved a more complet hocky fan, ( sorry about sp)

also its a kicka** idea either way :yo:

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
slosharksfan said:
why not do both? a sim and a pool, the sim keeps the picks hounist about their teams, and the pool is easier to follow, plus it creates interes in games that some people wouldent normally wach, which makes everyone involved a more complet hocky fan, ( sorry about sp)

also its a kicka** idea either way :yo:

that's a good idea actually :)

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
MojoJojo said:
I know you dont want a bunch of rules, but heres a suggestion for what happens if a prospect is signed. Lets say that somewhere in the middle of round 14, Alexander Ovechkin is suddenly signed. Let the team's board which signed him have the option of protecting him by exchanging him for one of their previously protected players. If Washington wants to protect AO, they have to release another player to be exposed to the draft.

I think mojojojo hits the right issue here ... everything else is basically in order, we can sim however we like, the sort-of-new-look Avs are gonna rock something wicked, etc., etc., .... but the question regarding the placement of certain "prospects" is one that needs to be addressed ... (if only because it's the one thing that'll likely get the most people *****ing in the long run) ...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Could we speed this up by getting teams to nominate multiple players for each round? We could do it in blocks of 5, 10, 15 or 30 team/picks.

ie 10 teams submit 10 picks in order of preference. If a pick is taken by an earlier team then the next pick is checked. Repeat until the a player who is available is selected. At least 1 of the 10 must be available. This way could get a round done in 3 steps.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
me2 said:
Could we speed this up by getting teams to nominate multiple players for each round? We could do it in blocks of 5, 10, 15 or 30 team/picks.

ie 10 teams submit 10 picks in order of preference. If a pick is taken by an earlier team then the next pick is checked. Repeat until the a player who is available is selected. At least 1 of the 10 must be available. This way could get a round done in 3 steps.

could be a good idea for later on in the draft... say after the top 5 picks for example... but early on IMO it's better that each team votes per player.

even though the draft is going slow, that's not such a bad thing right now... we're just starting to put the FHL together for this and it will take some time (creating the webpage, the message board, setting up all the players, the ratings, prospects, finances, etc...).

we're trying to make this thing as realistic as we can so the rules will be indepth (this is the best place to run a league like this since we're all basically hard core hockey fans!)...

After 5 or 10 rounds we should have something together for the webpage and league... then we can get into getting each team to select their GM and staff (looking at a staff of 2-4 on each team)... and assign responsiblities - from scouts who run the draft to AGMs for trades, finances, etc...

but as you can see this is no easy task to set this up, so the fact that the draft is running slow right now is actually in our favor to give us time to set up the best league we possibly can.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
We could nominate the GM of each team after round 5, and this GM would submit a list for each round, but should at least put a poll on his board to see who the fans would like to pick. That would work.

Pulfy14

May 11, 2004
Jozef Balej said:
We could nominate the GM of each team after round 5, and this GM would submit a list for each round, but should at least put a poll on his board to see who the fans would like to pick. That would work.
Yes, I was just thinking of that, that would work well i think.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
So what happens if a team, say, NJ, doesn't have any votes for a pick at all when it's the end of their turn? Can we just give them Theo Fleury?

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
hey guys... as you know we're turning this into a SIM league...

if you guys have an ideas for rules and such, let us know here... the goal is to make it as realistic as possible - yet still have fun options and such available to make running each team interesting.

plus we're hoping that each team can field a group of managers, so they'll be lots of options available - and things to do.

hoping to have a set of rules out to everyone by the 4th-5th round, since they'll be fairly detailed and we'll need to know who's interested in being part of a team... we're also hoping the website is done by then too.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
gonzopher said:
So what happens if a team, say, NJ, doesn't have any votes for a pick at all when it's the end of their turn? Can we just give them Theo Fleury?
We have a much bigger fanbase then colorado on here.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Chileiceman said:
Why does Montreal have so much time to pick ?

since he's been MIA for the last while, I'm going to move the draft along... he asked me a while ago to help him out with it since he was going to be too busy.

But since I can't edit his posts, to update the list at the beginning... I'll post and updated one below

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Teams Picks (protected and picked):

Anaheim Mighty Ducks
01. Jean-Sebastien Giguere (G)
02. Ryan Getzlaf (C)
03. Joffrey Lupul (W)
Atlanta Thrashers
01. Kari Lehtonen (G)
02. Ilya Kovalchuk (W)
03. Dany Heatley (W)
04. Ed Jovanovski (D)
Boston Bruins
01. Joe Thornton (C)
02. Patrice Bergeron (C)
03. Andrew Raycroft (G)
04. Rob Blake (D)
Buffalo Sabres
01. Thomas Vanek (W)
02. Dmitri Kalinin (D)
03. Ryan Miller (G)
04. Scott Gomez (C)
Calgary Flames
01. Jarome Iginla (W)
02. Dion Phaneuf (D)
03. Miikka Kiprusoff (G)
Carolina Hurricanes
01. Eric Staal (C)
02. Justin Williams (W)
03. Cam Ward (G)
Chicago Black Hawks
01. Tuomo Ruutu (W)
02. Anton Babchuk (D)
03. Mark Bell (W)
Columbus Blue Jackets
01. Rick Nash (W)
02. Nikolai Zherdev (W)
03. Marc Denis (G)
Colorado Avalanche
01. Joe Sakic (C)
02. Milan Hejduk (W)
03. Alex Tanguay (W)
04. David Aebischer (G)
Dallas Stars
01. Marty Turco (G)
02. Brendan Morrow (W)
03. Mike Modano (C)
Detroit Red Wings
01. Pavel Datsyuk (C)
02. Henrik Zetterberg (W)
03. Niklas Lidstrom (D)
04. Martin Havlat (W)
Edmonton Oilers
01. Ryan Smyth (W)
02. Eric Brewer (D)
03. Ales Hemsky (W)
04. Zigmund Palffy (W)
Florida Panthers
01. Roberto Luongo (G)
02. Jay Bouwmeester (D)
03. Nathan Horton (C)
Los Angeles Kings
01. Alexander Frolov (W)
02. Mathieu Garon (G)
03. Dustin Brown (W)
Minnesota Wild
01. Marian Gaborik (W)
02. Mikko Koivu (C)
03. Pierre-Marc Bouchard (C)
Montreal Canadiens
01. Jose Theodore (G)
02. Saku Koivu (C)
03. Andrei Markov (D)
04. Olli Jokinen (C)
Nashville Predators
01. Dan Hamhuis (D)
02. Ryan Suter (D)
03. Scott Hartnell (W)
04. Robert Esche (G)
New Jersey Devils
01. Martin Brodeur (G)
02. Patrik Elias (W)
03. Scott Niedermayer (D)
04. Robyn Regehr (D)
New York Islanders
01. Rick DiPietro (G)
02. Trent Hunter (W)
03. Adrian Aucoin (D)
04. Petr Forsberg (C)
New York Rangers
01. Fedor Tyutin (D)
02. Jaromir Jagr (W)
03. Jozef Balej (W)
Ottawa Senators
01. Marian Hossa (W)
02. Jason Spezza (C)
03. Zdeno Chara (D)
04. Nikolai Khabibulin (G)
Philadelphia Flyers
01. Joni Pitkanen (D)
02. Simon Gagne (LW)
03. Keith Primeau (C)
04. Daniel Alfredsson (W)
Phoenix Coyotes
01. Shane Doan (W)
02. Ladislav Nagy (W)
03. Derek Morris (D)
Pittsburgh Penguins
01. Marc-Andre Fleury (G)
02. Brooks Orpik (D)
03. Ryan Malone (W)
Saint-Louis Blues
01. Chris Pronger (D)
02. Barret Jackman (D)
03. Keith Tkachuk (W)
San Jose Sharks
01. Patrick Marleau (C)
02. Evgeny Nabokov (G)
03. Brad Stuart (D)
04. Jeff O'Neill (W)
Tampa Bay Lightning
01. Vincent Lecavalier (C)
02. Bard Richards (C)
03. Martin Saint-Louis (W)
04. Tomas Vokoun (G)
Toronto Maple Leafs
01. Mats Sundin (C)
02. Carlo Colaiacovo (D)
03. Matt Stajan (C)
04. Wade Redden (D)
Vancouver Canucks
01. Todd Bertuzzi (W)
02. Mattias Ohlund (D)
03. Markus Naslund (W)
04. Sergei Fedorov (C)
Washington Capitals
01. Alexander Semin (W)
02. Maxime Ouellet (G)
03. Steve Eminger (D)

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Updated Draft Picks:

1st Round
01. Ottawa - Nikolai Khabibulin (G)
02. Detroit - Martin Havlat (W)
03. Tampa Bay - Tomas Vokoun (G)
04. Toronto - Wade Redden (D)
05. Islanders - Petr Forsberg (C)
06. Colorado - David Aebischer (G)
07. Vancouver - Sergei Fedorov (C)
08. Philadelphia - Daniel Alfredsson (W)
09. Edmonton - Zigmund Palffy (W)
10. Buffalo - Scott Gomez (C)
11. San Jose - Jeff O'Neill (W)
12. Nashville - Robert Esche (G)
13. Atlanta - Ed Jovanovski (D)
14. New Jersey - Robyn Regehr (D)
15. Boston - Rob Blake (D)
16. Montreal - Olli Jokinen (C)
17. Rangers
18. Los Angeles
19. Calgary
20. Dallas
21. Saint-Louis
22. Pittsburgh
23. Florida
24. Minnesota
25. Phoenix
26. Chicago
27. Washington
28. Anaheim
29. Columbus
30. Carolina
===
2nd Round
31. Carolina
32. Columbus
33. Anaheim
34. Washington
35. Chicago
36. Phoenix
37. Minnesota
38. Florida
39. Pittsburgh
40. Saint-Louis
41. Dallas
42. Calgary
43. Los Angeles
44. Rangers
45. Montreal
46. Boston
47. New Jersey
48. Atlanta
49. Nashville
50. San Jose
51. Buffalo
52. Edmonton
53. Philadelphia
54. Vancouver
55. Colorado
56. Islanders
57. Toronto
58. Tampa Bay
59. Detroit
60. Ottawa
===

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
LA boycotts. Those teams which are drafting 12-18 will always draft in the middle while teams at the top and bottom each get picks early in rounds as it reverses. So with the set-up as it stands, LA boycotts and will not participate in your game :p:

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
Suggestion:
Let's make this a little more snappy. allow 5 hours Max for a vote. Really, at this pace when will this ever end.

And now LA is boycotting :joker:

Oh my! how long is that gonna take.

Seriously though quicker would be nicer.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
need to hold a time-out in this draft (sorry LeeIs)...

JB won't be available till after 3pm today... so he needs to consider this when he's back...

put posts on all the remaining boards as to who wishing to follow LA's route and then look for GMs for those teams.

Ignore the boards that aren't interested in being a part of this, and those picks will then be selected by the assigned GM.

Picks will be faster as well, since we don't have to wait for a board to vote, but only 1 GM (or a management team to come to consensus).....

but we really don't need to go to each board and post the draft details and wait and find out if they're interested... simply post on each remaining team board if they want to be a part of it... select GMs for those that don't, and let's move on.

otherwise you will have fans on particular boards that will just be there to insult the process and slow everything down... lets move on and those that don't want to participate, don't give them the chance to participate by only disrespecting the game and everyone else by slowing it down.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Great game, don't you have to have a season to play it? Why all the rush to play this game when it should be done where everyteam would be able to pick at the front or end of each round? Boston would always pick every 29th team while the Sens would always pick back-to-back picks. A revolving order should be formed so each team would get that benefit. I don't understand why you guys don't see where this becomes unfair for the middle teams. There isn't going to be any hockey for some time, why not take the time to come up with a better game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad