Former Bruins The Blues agree to terms with defenseman Torey Krug on a 7-year contract worth $45.5 million dollars

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
It's less that I was expecting him to get, but still more than he's worth. Good for him cashing in I guess, though I would have thought he'd command more on the open market.

Reactions: Maine Fan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Torey Krug admits he was 'not close' to remaining with Bruins

Krug also admitted that he was "not close" to remaining with the B's.
When asked to expand on that answer, Krug added, "There was just no communication. Nothing happened. Once the opportunity presented itself to be a Blue, I had to take the chance and jump on it."
The 29-year-old defenseman said he got an offer from the Bruins "about a year ago" and that they pulled it.

"It was pulled from me. I didn't have an offer," Krug said. "When they offer me a year ago and then it's gone, I don't know what I'm expected to do. Just being blunt and being honest with you, most people don't share that side of it, but it is what it is.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Torey Krug admits he was 'not close' to remaining with Bruins

Krug also admitted that he was "not close" to remaining with the B's.
When asked to expand on that answer, Krug added, "There was just no communication. Nothing happened. Once the opportunity presented itself to be a Blue, I had to take the chance and jump on it."
The 29-year-old defenseman said he got an offer from the Bruins "about a year ago" and that they pulled it.

"It was pulled from me. I didn't have an offer," Krug said. "When they offer me a year ago and then it's gone, I don't know what I'm expected to do. Just being blunt and being honest with you, most people don't share that side of it, but it is what it is.
Thats the risk you run as a FA when you walk away from a contract before FA starts

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Thats the risk you run as a FA when you walk away from a contract before FA starts
It sure is but if Sweeney had no intentions of signing krug he better bring in another top 4 defenseman or he should prepare tp walk the plank. :naughty:

I also think its bad management you should always keep a line of communication on going, you never know which way that door will eventually swing. sure no problem in letting him walk if he wants to go in another direction but what worries me is, does Sweeney really know that direction? I not counting on it.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Disappointed in Sweeney that there was no communication to krug or the krug camp. Contract or not, Krug earned good communication from the bruins and anything less is disrespectful.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Torey Krug will be sorely missed on the power play - The Boston Globe

Krug, in a late-evening Zoom presser, said the Bruins offered him a deal to remain here a year ago but subsequently “pulled” it.
“I’m not going to comment on other guys' money situations,” he said, when it was noted the Bruins rarely lose their own players in open-market bidding. "It was pulled for me. I didn’t have an offer, and when they offer me a year ago and then it’s gone…I don’t know what I am expected to do. Just being blunt and being honest with you. Most people don’t share that side of it – but it is what it is.

“I am very thankful for the opportunity [the Bruins] gave me and very thankful for the opportunity that the Blues gave me. And I can’t wait to join this organization and be able to compete for a championship year in and year out. The core here is great and I’m really looking forward to it.”

As midnight approached, Krug was the day’s biggest winner in the NHL’s free-agent fest, cashing in for a total $45.5 million over 7 years (an annual cap hit of $6.5M). It’s virtually the same annual payout the Bruins were rumored of late to offer Krug — though, per Krug, the offer was pulled.
If the Bruins offered five years at $6.5M per, that left Krug $13 million the richer for swapping the Zakim for the Arch. Not much decision to make there from a financial basis, no matter how nicely the lights glow at night on the Zakim. The hue of green was much deeper on the Arch.

Sounded like he took a shot at Bruins the way he described Blues.:huh::dunno:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
This picture got me in the feels

( Krug and other Bruins have been posting pics on Instagram of good times together from the past but this one really tugged on the heart strings )

Screenshot_20201010-230433_Instagram.jpg

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
For the record, this was absolutely the right move to let him walk at that price. 7 years for Krug is nuts, and will become one of the leagues laughable contracts in 3 years.

having said that, I have no idea why Don has done nothing to shore up our defense with Krugs departure. Guys like TJ Brodie were up for grabs, even Bogosian at 1M is a solid pickup for the laughs. Don and his internal competition nonsense is bullshit. You can’t ask that of the coach when you have given him crap to work with you idiot.

As I’ve said before. Ugh.

Reactions: Maine Fan

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Tough to see him go - losing a big piece of the heart of this team. Got to think they knew it and that played a role in bringing Miller back.

Also tough that it’s St Louis. He was the one bright spot memory of that Cup final for Boston now even that’s got a blue shadow over it.

The writing was on the wall with them bringing in Zech and Ahcan while still flush with d prospects on the verge and the big club packed with smaller blueliners. Don’t see them signing here without a clear and trusted message from Sweeney that there were going to be opportunities.

If you thought Krug was a bright spot you must not have paid attention to the defensive end of the ice. He was a huge reason the organization came out and said they needed to get bigger on defense because he was getting bullied the entire series besides his one big hit.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
If you thought Krug was a bright spot you must not have paid attention to the defensive end of the ice. He was a huge reason the organization came out and said they needed to get bigger on defense because he was getting bullied the entire series besides his one big hit.
Yeah st Louis really saw how he could be exploited took advantage and doesn’t think he’s worth a long term big money deal.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
best of luck to Krug and it will hurt to see him playing for that scumbag team

With that said I really don't understand why they would give him this deal and let Pietro walk. It's just insane to me, especially when they already have guys like Faulk & Dunn.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If you reject a team’s best offer why does the team have to let you know they’re going in a different direction? Isn’t that kind of assumed when you reject a team’s best offer?
uhhh...no? Generally in negotiations there's some back & forth. He probably had a reasonable expectation that they'd make him another offer. If they had no plans to do so then it would have been common courtesy to let him know that was their best & final offer. I know they aren't legally obligated to do so, but I'm just talking about optics and player relations. Krug was a loyal, hard-working player for the Bruins. Why leave him hanging like that? It just makes the org look kind of petty.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
uhhh...no? Generally in negotiations there's some back & forth. He probably had a reasonable expectation that they'd make him another offer. If they had no plans to do so then it would have been common courtesy to let him know that was their best & final offer. I know they aren't legally obligated to do so, but I'm just talking about optics and player relations. Krug was a loyal, hard-working player for the Bruins. Why leave him hanging like that? It just makes the org look kind of petty.

I guess that would all depend on how Krug reacted to their initial offer, which is something we don't know, and it also depends on what the real story is. There seems to be some contradictary accounts here, even from Krug himself and honestly don't expect we are ever going to get the whole story any time soon if ever.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
nice company.

huge gap between the top 3 and # 4 in terms of overall play.
Not taking a shot at him by any means. Just those top 3 are at another level.

Those other 3 are all in the conversation for top 5 D of all time, what a group.

Reactions: Mathews28

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yeah st Louis really saw how he could be exploited took advantage and doesn’t think he’s worth a long term big money deal.

last 3 postseasons krug has been on the ice for 36 5v5 goals against. Next highest was McAvoy with 35 and chara with 28. McAvoy played 990 minutes 5v5, chara played 844.

Krug has been an absolutely liability defensively in the playoffs over the last three years. Whenever he’s on the ice the other team seems to score at a really high rate compared to our other defensemen.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

I agree if that is what happened. We may never know. Always three sides, his, theirs and the truth.

Reactions: Agent86 and Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->